+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hotsync Help

Hotsync Help

So I seem to have run into somewhat of a problem with hotsync and my 650:

When I try to initiate a hotsync, I can see the 650 try and connect with the laptop but nothing happens on the pc and I am certain all the settings on the hotsync manager are correct (local USB checked, etc). I can hotsync just fine via bluetooth but not using the USB cable. Every once in a while, I do notice a specific odd behavior that happened with my 600 and has also occurred occasionally with my 650. When initiating a hotsync using the cable/cradle, the computer will say that it has found new hardware (the treo), i tell it to automatically search for the best drivers, it will automatically install the drivers for it after I click "next" on the wizard, and then hotsync will proceed. When this current problem showed up earlier tonight, the Treo just waited, trying to connect to the laptop and then after a minute or so, the "found new hardware" bubble appeared but no wizard and then it said my hardware was installed and ready to use but still no hotsync (no exclamation points in device manager either). I tried the "repair" option from the P1 cd but that didn't help any. At this point, I am thinking it could be a bad USB cable but it was working fine yesterday so while possible it went bad, I am not very inclined to believe that. I suppose it could also be a USB driver problem, does anyone know the name of the USB driver the treos use to connect to a pc? Its just very strange because I haven't added any new software to my pc or anything like that that would cause corruption. Any ideas as to what the problem may be and a fix are welcome!

Well it seems I have narrowed the problem down to either a bad USB cable or a bad connector on the 650 (although I am still somewhat suspiscious that it is a USB driver problem). I did a restore on my laptop to an earlier date where I know hotsync via USB was working and no response from the PC. I suppose I could take it to a Sprint store but I wonder if they even have the setup to test it with the 650 being as new as it is. Any ideas/suggestions as to something I may have missed are welcome.

After fiddling all night with this thing, reinstalling Palm Desktop, trying out PDANet to see if it could communicate over the USB cable, still nothing. I guess I do have a defective 650 USB cable (or a defective 650 connector), which there seem to be a few cases of over at TC.

I had similar problems trying to get the Treo 650 to Hotsync to my Dell Latitude C640 laptop. The USB ports were functional for other purposes, but try as I may, I could not get the Treo 650 to Hotsync. I reinstalled the desktop software several times (removing it via Add/Remove programs). I also tried using the USB Registry cleaner from the PalmOne website. Nothing worked, as it just wouldn't recognize the device. Started thinking it was the cable. Reread the Sprint "Before you start using..." manual and noticed a picture that showed the AC charger plugged into the USB cable (even though it only mentioned plugging it in if your Treo was not fully charged). Well, guess what, a Hotsync at this point caused the device to be recognized, and eventually I was able to completely Hotsync the device. Subsequent Hotsync's don't seem to need the external power. Don't know if this will work for you, but it wouldn't hurt to try.