+ Reply to Thread

Question Sprint vs. Verizon

I am considering the 650, but I am concerned about Sprint's coverage; especially away from the cities. How do you folks find the Sprint coverage using the 650? Lots of dropped calls? Big gaps in coverage outside of the city? Has anyone used Sprint's new roaming option (half of your minutes can be roaming outside of Sprint's network (?)). I have a 7135 that I am frustrated with and may make the switch very soon.

I am in exactly the same situation. I love the Verizon coverage with my 7135 (when it's working) in my rural area.
    My friends who have Sprint, with more basic cell phones seem to have a lot of problems in my area, particularly at my house, so I don't think I can jump the Verizon ship just yet.
    I'm just hoping that Verizon offers the 650 very, very soon!
    Release the Hounds!

I know Sprint doesn't work for me but YMMV.

Try out Sprint for 15 days with a new number. If it works, you can either keep that new number or switch over your VZW number.

If it doesn't work, cancel and wait for VZW to offer the phone you want or consider another carrier. It would not surprise me if VZW offers a modified version of the 650 to work with EV-DO. They tend to be slow in bringing out technology but when they do offer it, they add something to incent their customers to remain with them (e.g. T600 & Wireless Sync).

I'm looking at Cingular as soon as the AT&T transition is further down the road and Edge becomes a reality. I'd rather get an unlocked GSM model to use anywhere.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I switched to Sprint and have not encountered any problems with coverage. As I recall, Sprint also offers a plan ($5 bucks I think) where you can use Verizon's towers if no Sprint coverage is available, so basically you are covered. You should still give it a 14 day try-out and see if it works for you. As others said, YMMV.

Originally posted by nicoff
    As I recall, Sprint also offers a plan ($5 bucks I think) where you can use Verizon's towers if no Sprint coverage is available, so basically you are covered.
    The caveat is that you can only use Verizon's digital network. If you're a Sprint customer and roam to where only VZW's analog coverage is available, you're out of luck.

Of course, with digital becoming more and more common and analog going the way of the dinosaur -- how many phones don't include analog nowadays anay way? -- this may not be an issue. But just be aware of it, just in case.

Originally posted by William
    The caveat is that you can only use Verizon's digital network. If you're a Sprint customer and roam to where only VZW's analog coverage is available, you're out of luck.
    This is not true, at least in general... I roam on Verizon analog with my Sprint I500 all the time. However, if you mean w.r.t. the Treo 650, then yes, but that has nothing to do with Sprint, but the fact that the Treo cannot do analog. This would of course also be true even if Verizon offered the 650 itself.

Originally posted by monkeyboy
    This is not true, at least in general... I roam on Verizon analog with my Sprint I500 all the time. However, if you mean w.r.t. the Treo 650, then yes, but that has nothing to do with Sprint, but the fact that the Treo cannot do analog. This would of course also be true even if Verizon offered the 650 itself.
    If you're roaming on Verizon's analog network as part of Sprint's "$5 additional" plan (sorry, I cannot remember the "official" name at the moment), then I definitely stand corrected. But the word heard, from Sprint, is that the "$5 extra" applied only to Verizon's digital network and only if you still had at least half of your usage on the Sprint network.

Just to clarify, I am not saying that you won't be able to roam on Verizon's analog network (provided you have an AMPS-capable phone, of course). Only that you will pay a higher roaming fee than the $5 fee for roaming on Verizon's digital network.

But seriously, monkeyboy, correct me if you're allowed to roam on Verizon's analog network for only $5/month. In fact, I hope I do stand corrected.

Originally posted by William
    Just to clarify, I am not saying that you won't be able to roam on Verizon's analog network (provided you have an AMPS-capable phone, of course). Only that you will pay a higher roaming fee than the $5 fee for roaming on Verizon's digital network.

But seriously, monkeyboy, correct me if you're allowed to roam on Verizon's analog network for only $5/month. In fact, I hope I do stand corrected.
    No need to stand, you can sit corrected ...

The $5/mo plan option is called Free and Clear America. And yes, Sprint doesn't care (why should it ?) as to whether you are roaming digital or analog (provided your phone is capable of it). I roam often on Verizon analog and do not pay any higher charges. The issue that is a bit harder to get a handle on is whether, in any given area, your PRL enables you to find Verizon analog (or any other particular roaming service). Sprint seems to monkey with this all the time (as does Verizon, apparently. There were apparently major complaints with VZW when they curtailed their PRL from allowing VZW customers to find Sprint's network, at least in some areas). But at least in my area, I get onto Verizon frequently. The other issue is of course the threshold over which any particular phone decides to quit trying to get a decent Sprint signal and try instead to find a roaming option. I'm not sure if it differs from phone to phone (very likely), but there are many complaints that Sprint's phones (probably not uniquely) will often refuse to try a roaming partner because it still is getting a tiny, tiny Sprint signal -- not enough for a decent call, but enough to inhibit roaming.

Thanks for everyone's input. Well I think the problem is that the 650 won't do analog. If you look at roaming maps, it is amazing to see how many areas are still only analog only (unless these maps are way outdated). My experience with traveling with my VZW 7135 is that it rarely accesses the analog cell, but the map scares me a bit. It looks as if you leave major interstate highways you are sol with the 650 since it doesn't have any analog capability. This is probably the biggest issue that would nix the 650 for me.

I haven't heard anything that makes me think that VZW will have the Treo 650 soon... but we'll see
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Robert, do you think that it would make a difference in coverage if VZW did offer the 650? I would think that the coverage would roughly be the same since they both will use the CDMA towers. The real difference is the analog capability. I really want to switch from the 7135, but I'm still a little squeamish about it. I know you did make the switch and seem to be happy. Do you travel much? If so, how do you find Sprint's coverage?

thanks,
    Mike

Mike, I live in rural Ohio about 50 miles NW of Columbus. My concern was the same when I changed from 7135 to the Treo 600. I have seen absolutely no issues with not having analog. I was really concerned about it, but it just hasn't become an issue.

Mike

Originally posted by sndtubes
    Robert, do you think that it would make a difference in coverage if VZW did offer the 650? I would think that the coverage would roughly be the same since they both will use the CDMA towers. The real difference is the analog capability. I really want to switch from the 7135, but I'm still a little squeamish about it. I know you did make the switch and seem to be happy. Do you travel much? If so, how do you find Sprint's coverage?

thanks,
    Mike
    I don't travel a whole lot... but I have made lots of long road trips over the years, and Sprint has been great. Where I live is pretty badly covered by all of the carriers (and VZW is actually worse than Sprint at my house... I had them both simultaneously in the beginning). It's impossible for me to say that Sprint will be great for you... but don't pay attention to all of the hype either. You'll probably need to get a Sprint phone to try yourself, or talk to people you know that are on Sprint
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)