+ Reply to Thread

Media Player on Treo650?

Stopped by and looked at the Treo650 at the Sprint store this afternoon. Though I've been in the market for a Windows-based Smartphone, I gotta admit - it was pretty sweet. Full-blown PPC devices are too big, and the Smartphone devices are OK, but the interface was somewhat limiting. I liked that the Treo was usable 1-handed, but the stylus was still an option. If Verizon doesn't announce something to compete with it soon, I may take my business to Sprint when my contract is up in a month or so, EVDO (and the $45 VZW data plan) be damned!

My one question - is there a media player for the Palm OS that can play WMA as well as stream media from a MMS? I was looking around Handango, but didn't see anything that fit the bill for both, though I think MMPlayer played WMA files. I have this grand scheme to make my music collection available via MMS, so this would be a key feature for me. I'm not a huge fan of RealPlayer...
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

WMA files can be played by Pocket Tunes. It doesn't have the ability to play them streaming yet. What's a MMS?
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

MMS = Microsoft Media Server. You can create server side playlists and stream them via the web to MMS clients over the MMS protocol with a link such as MMS://my.domain.com/playlist or HTTP, but I think even over HTTP, the client still needs to support the MMS protocol. I want to say Windows Media Player in the latest Windows Mobile versions will do this, but haven't been able to test it yet.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter