+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom Ringers

Question Custom Ringers

One of the features I like about the Kyo 7135 is the ability to take any MP3 clip and turn it into a ringer. After looking at a Treo 650 and the manual today, I couldn't see where this would be possible. It looked to me as though you could only download ringers from Sprint's website. Anyone explored this yet? This is a trivial point, but another consideration as to if I'm going to make the switch nonetheless.

Sure, mp3 ringers are possible but you will need 3rd party software such as Lightwav (www.toysoft.ca).

Question What is the format for the ringtones on the 650?

What is the format for the ringtones on the TREO 650?

Since I'm not buying an expansion card till after the new year... (my wife had a hard time understanding the hundreds I dropped on the phone, in the 1st place. She'd never let me drop even $50 on an add-on during the holidays.)

So now I want to create a custom ringtown. I've got an mp3 file, but the phone won't store it anywhere. I realize that I'd need 3rd party program for the conversion, but is there a free AP on the net that does the conversion from MP3 to a ringtone format that is recocnized by TREO? For one, I think it'd be easier to deal with and 2 simpler to get past the wife.

Any suggestions?

I use CallFilter for my custom ringer needs I don't have the URL off the top of my head, but it'll take you 5 seconds to find it. It doesn't just handle ringers though... it does a lot more, and it's a very useful app
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I transferred Midi ringers over to my Treo 650 using Bluetooth.

There is info on this Palmone web-site about ringers. It talks about converting MP3 and Wav to AMR files. AMR files supposedly can be used directly on the phone..

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...l2001,CASE=obj(19349)

Yes, you convert mp3 to wav to AMR. Will need a program such as the Nokia AMR ringtone program, however (free upon registration). I tried it out and it works but the quality of the tone was crap. The AMR program encodes it as something like 12kbps whereas programs like lightwav play the mp3 file at full quality and this makes a big difference.

I bought Lightwav for my Treo 600, and even put it on my 650, and it didn't work on either one very well or even at all. Buyer beware.

Originally posted by pturner5
    I bought Lightwav for my Treo 600, and even put it on my 650, and it didn't work on either one very well or even at all. Buyer beware.
    It worked fine for me on my 600 and 650 (different versions though). Make sure you are using the latest version of lightwav (v3.2 i believe) for your 650.

How did you get it to work? Did you have to turn off the ringers on the device, and then use LightWav? I have 3.2 and it still wont work.

smilin' in Daytona
    First, you have to enable Lightwave in the general prefs. Next, you go to the Treo tab and then to contacts. Then you assign a MP3 ringtone to each contacts.
    Lastly, you go to sounds in the prefs section and assign silent to your known contacts.
    You're ready to hear Rudolph the rednosed raindeer when Santa calls!
    Wes in sunny Daytona Beach
    www.audiobywes.com

Ringtones ??

I have some wav/mp3/midi files that I want to use as my ringtones. Anyone know how I can go about doing this with my Sprint Treo 650 (CDMA) ? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

something like lightwav (www.toysoft.ca) in combination with pocket tunes (www.pocket-tunes.com) will allow you to use wav and mp3 files as ringtones. the 650 supports midi ringtones out of the box. simply email the midi ringtone to yourself as an email attachment and then grab it using the versamail app on the 650.

Re: Ringtones ??

You can also use the web app to load the MIDI ringtones in to the ringtone DB on the 650. Just navigate to where the MIDI ringtones are stored on the SD card. This assumes you have the ability to save the MIDI ringtones to the SD card.

I purchased mRing for WAV files and it works well and the cost was a reasonable $13 USD.

Originally posted by OCTREO
    I have some wav/mp3/midi files that I want to use as my ringtones. Anyone know how I can go about doing this with my Sprint Treo 650 (CDMA) ? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank you kindly,

Tony

Originally posted by Marty
    something like lightwav (www.toysoft.ca) in combination with pocket tunes (www.pocket-tunes.com) will allow you to use wav and mp3 files as ringtones. the 650 supports midi ringtones out of the box. simply email the midi ringtone to yourself as an email attachment and then grab it using the versamail app on the 650.
    Thanks for your reply. I have a bunch of midi files I could use, so that's great. Now can you tell me where the file is stored when I download it on PDA phone i.e. where should I tell the phone to look for the new ringtones in the phone settings ? If it's the SD card what happens when I change the card to some other card ?

When you click on the midi attachment on the email, the phone will ask if you would like to save it, tell it yes, and it will automatically put it in the appropriate folder/place (somewhere in the phone's memory, not on the SD card). Then when you go to select/change your ringtone, the midi file will automatically be in the list, nothing special or special knowledge is required.

Awesome ! Thanks Marty.

Will let you know how it went. How many ringtones can I save ? I mean there is got to be a memory liminations, no ?

For midis, you can save as many that will fit in the availablle memory. Of course, that number will vary depending on what else you have stored in the phone's memory as well as how big the midi file is (longer song = bigger file).

I GOT IT TO WORK, YAY !!!!

Thanks Marty. Two more questions.

1) It seems that my available memory can fill up really fast. So when I get tired of a ringer, how do I seek it out and get rid of it to free up the available memory ?

2) So far I only tried saving the ringtone to phone's internal memory. What happens if I save it to SD card ? Will it give me the option to use it as a ringtone without saving it to phone's internal memory ?

go to the screen where you have the drop down menu to select which ringer you want. tap "manage", highlight the ringtone you want to delete, tap "details" then you will have the option to delete it. for your second question, i dont know, why dont you try it out and see what happens. remember, the best way to learn about your 650 is to play around with it, you'll quickly learn about all of its capabilities. the manual is a good source as well for basic questions.

LOL I get the hint :p

Hey thanks Mart. Your help is very much 'ppreciated.