+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bluetooth Headsets

Is is just me are are all Bluetooth headsets crappy? I have been doing the buy and return game with the store but I cant find any that perform worth a darn.

I started with the least expensive. The Blule Trek G2. It did pretty well but was getting the popcorn sound in my ear.

I exchanged it for a Belkin. Dont know the model. It was the pits. You couldnt hear anything. Low volume and a strange fit. That one wne back right away.

I am on the Logitech HS01. Started out pretty good. I like the fit and the sound. I started getting complaints after I had used it for about an hour. The little green charger light was on saying it was ready to use but it was only about a two hour charge. I think I'll try again in the mornign after it has been on all night.

I think we need to start a thread to work thru some of the results from other people. I am getting the feeling I am going to end up wired. I cant see paying $70-$100 on some peice of junk I will never be happy with.

Comments?

Blaine

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I am on my third one now(Motorola 810), and I am starting to have doubts about this one as well. The first two, a Body Glove headset and the Jabra 250, both had huge static problems. The HS-810 works fine in my car, but when I try to walk around with it, the static comes back. I have to hold the phone no more than a foot away from it for it to work right. I am very dissapointed with the Bluetooth headsets so far, and it has me wanting to take back the Treo. I think I am going to try the PPC-6601 from Sprint.

Funny you should mention it, I've been using the Jabra 200.
    At first I thought it was making the crackling sound because the "J 200" is for non bluetooth phones. but it can still be paired with the t650.
    Even so, the sound is still crappy. It also seems to be loosing it's range.

So here I am on line looking for a better one, and I see your post about yours, which happens to be the ones I was looking at.

Now I guess I have to stay with the Jabra200 until the technology gets better.

The Logotec went back. So I too am on the HS810. Best Buy has it on sale so I figure I'll give that a try. The 802.11 network has something to do with the noise. I get it on the road and it is not too bad. Wi-Fi is too important so Bluetooh loses for now. I'll let you know how the Motorola works out. BTW I have the D-link USB adapter on my PC and it work Greeeeeeat. No problems there.

Blaine

I found the two best ones!

I know exactly what you mean guys! I've been through all the headsets you have been through with the same exact results. However... one difference. I started out using a really cheap-o headset that I got almost for free called the Cardo Allways. I scored this baby from Woot.com for a few bucks just to try Bluetooth a few months ago with an older phone. At the time, I had to use a 2.5mm to Bluetooth adapter because my Sanyo 5500 doesn't have Bluetooth. Well, when I got my Treo 650, I paired the headset and checked my voicemail a few times with it. I think I made about 2 or 3 calls, mostly to test the Treo 650 itself, and didn't even think about the headset since I had already ordered a Motorola HS810 and was just waiting for it to be delivered. My thought was that ANY $50+ headset is gonna work better than this cheap-o Cardo Allways one. Well, to make a long story short... after trying about 6 different headsets, the most expensive of which was $130, I realized that either Bluetooth was just a bust, or I maybe something was wrong with the Treo 650. After pretty much giving up, returning all my expensive headsets, and giving in the pure perfection of my trusty plantronic wired headset, I decided to dig up my Cardo Allways just for old times sake. Well guess what?! Little did I realize but when I had first tested the headset with the Treo on its first day of arrival, no one mentioned any distortion, popcorn sounds, or voice fading whatsoever because THERE WASN'T ANY! The headset had worked perfectly! I started making calls and actively asking people if they could guess whether I was using a wired or wireless headset. Every single person I spoke to said wired, of course! I was amazed, and can still hardly believe that such a cheap headset works so well - I can get a full 20 feet between the headset and the Treo, there is no or imperceptible interference, and it works perfectly... Allways! (what an ironic, albeit mispelled name for a headset!) Anyway, the one flaw in this headset, which pretty much every other headset has is that it is prone to pick up wind noise. However, Cardo (www.cardosystems.com) just released a new headset that is similar to the Allways, except that it has wind noice reduction technology and a 9 hour battery life (the Allways has a 6 hour battery). I ordered mine and am expecting it on Friday. I will definitely post more about it as soon as I receive it. Oh... one thing that might be discouraging - the Allways headset it very ugly. The new one, Scala 500, is a bit more attractive, but I'll judge it more on asthetics when I see it in person. So, if you do get one good piece of info from this post, the super cheap (probably less than $30 online) Cardo Allways is thus far the BEST bluetooth headset for the Treo 650.
    http://www.conceptthink.com

smilin' in Daytona
    I too have been through many headsets since my 650 purchase a month ago. The Jabra 200 and 250 both had intolerable static. The 810 wasn't loud enough and the Sony 850 was also not loud enough.
    Although very expensive($200), I have finally found the one! While searching one of the threads, someone mentioned the Zen.
    Since price wasn't an issue, I ordered one! Next-day was included in the price and I paired it up. It is amazing! The only problem is the volume can be too loud! It is reasonably comfortable and the distance is about 28 feet!
    Yes, my search is over as I needed a loud enough headset while at CES next month.
    In the past 7 trips to the very loud CES in Vegas, I always missed calls from my shop... I hope the ZEN solves this problem.

www.gennum.com

www.audiobywes.com
    Last edited by spl1547@aol.com; 12-19-2004 at 07:20 PM.
    Wes in sunny Daytona Beach
    www.audiobywes.com

Bluetooth headset For non bluetooth phone.

I want to get a bluetooth headset that comes with a receiver for non bluetooth phones so I can us it on my XboX and work phone. Will this still work on my Treo 650 with out plugging the reciever into it? Here is the one I am looking at.

http://www.discountcell.com/cellular...-BT1K,1c,p.htm

Anyone have advice on this? Is this a good headset or fuzzy quiet crap like the rest. Any info would be great.

RM

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar

looking forward to follow-up

from both of you guys with regards to
    the Cardo (btw, did you get the scala-500 or the always model?) and the Zen.

I had a Jabra 200 which sounds HORRIBLE with the T650 but works fantastically with a bluetooth base station phone by olympia (LINK here to a prior discussion on it.
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

Well, I received the Cardo Scala-500 on Friday, and yes, it is, in fact even better than the original Allways. When an incoming call comes in the Scala-500 seems to ring almost instantly, and when a call is placed, the audio is transfered to the headset just as quickly. In terms of interference... unless I've got my head in the microwave (j/k), it's very clear. As with the original Allways, there is no fading of voice on either end, and no pop-corn sounds that seem to plague the other headsets when used with the Treo 650. The battery life is rated for 9 hours, but I have yet to use it for that long! I'll post again with a better review of battery life, specifically, later in the week. In terms of asthetics... nice! Definitely much much nicer than the Allways. It is also much smaller and lighter than the Allways. The earloop is slightly adjustable to fit different sized ears, but not quite as much as on the Allways. I have small ears, and I find that it stays put very well, but will probably hold even better on people with larger ears. I have found that staying on my ear was one of the drawbacks of using the Moto HS810/HS820. Those two were extremely floppy and would stay on only if I kept my head very still - not the case with the Cardo Scala-500. Of course, as with almost all headsets, it can be adjusted for right or left ears quite easily. Of particular note, one design difference that I was pleased about when compared with the Allways is that the silver button to end/answer/etc calls now does not function as the power button, but instead power is set by a button/roller towards the back of the device. With the Allways, sometimes the power would accidentally shut off/turn on when it was in my pocket because of the placement/function of the button - no longer an issue with the Scala-500. Conveniently, the Scala-500 comes with a tiny holster hardly larger than the unit itself, making it unnecessary to carry it in the pocket at all, but instead clips onto ur belt/pants/etc. Cardo seems to be the only one to offer a sunglass/eyeglass attachment, but I have not tried this feature. I have not tested it in windy environments enough to report back, but as soon as I do I will certainly let you know the outcome. Considering that once again, as with the Allways, people I'm speaking to do not even realize I'm on a wireless headset, I'm optomistic that there will be notable improvement in wind noise cancelation. To be continued...

So the HS810 worked fine. It was $99 bucks at Bestbuy. They had the HS820 for $79 so I tried that one. They both work about the same. So I saved $20. But the 810 comes with a case and works a little better on connecting. the 820 does not seem to pick up automatically.

stickflinger, let me know how that works out for you. I wouldnt mind a multi function BT heatset.

Jesse,
    did you order directly from Cardo or did you find a better price elsewhere???
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

Originally posted by shadowboxer
    Jesse,
    did you order directly from Cardo or did you find a better price elsewhere???
    I ordered mine from eCost.com. With shipping it came to $45.90.

onsale.com was actually slightly cheaper then ecost. Mine was $42.00. eCost and Onsale are both the same company (owned by PCMALL.

I think mine is coming today or tomorrow. I'll give a review compared to some other headsets I've tried.

Great!
    can't beat that price
    dale1
    my story in phones....

The Scala 500
    http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_500.php

I am quite tempted and will probably get one. Thanks for the great info Jesse & Mogulman.
    Last edited by Markito; 12-21-2004 at 02:42 PM.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Treo 650 Bluetooth

After reading Blaine's post and the several responses, I took my new, greatly underperforming Body Glove headset I bought from Spint Telesales. I got the manager of the store who prides himself on being up to speed on the 650, the first one I have found in 3 stores.

He quietly told me that he uses only the Jabra that he got from the (real quiet whisper) Cingular store just up the block. He said to return mine as it was a piece of junk and this was before he paired it. I could barely hear him, there was no way to increase the volume. Pitiful. But, I had already acted on the matter from the thread and tomorrow, I hope to receive my $50.00 Cardo Scala 500.

One last question...I have people tell me my call over the 650 is terrible sounding. I hear things so well, better than any phone I've had. But, has anyone else had difficulty with the 650 audio? Thanks. Gary
    Gary M.

Yeah, it is a well known problem.
    Creative 650 owners and PalmOne engineers are both individually working on a patch to supposedly correct it.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Regarding sound quality, go to this post:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...431#post503431

...and scroll all the way back to the first page to start reading... it's a lot, but at the end you will have a MUCH BETTER sounding phone (both listener and speaker). Or... to make things even easier, if you don't care for the reading, just go to this site to download the necessary patches:

http://www.shadowmite.com/

Enjoy! (and thanks to shadowmite, faisal, and others for all their hard work)

Well, to follow up in a last installment to my other posts about the Cardo Scala-500... I've now had the opportunity to use it for six days. During this period, I charged the headset only once (on the first day). I was able to get almost exactly 9 hours of talk time, and that is in addition to all the periods of standby during the last six days. I would say that this kind of battery life is not too shabby at all! Regarding wind noise, the performance is outstanding. Although the Scala-500 doesn't completely cancel out noise like the Aliph bone *zapping* (hehe) headset, it significantly reduces it. I've tested this feature several times by walking 15 minutes from my office to a restaurant during some very windy afternoons. Wind speed was at about 15 MPH, blowing directly into the headset (I was facing the wind). While in a conversation, the other party said that she could hear some background noise, but my voice still came in very clear above that noise. I did not have to shout, but just spoke at a normal volume. Another coincidental test was when I was in my car - an 18-wheeler passed me on the highway (actually almost ran me off the road), and the person on the other end of the line could not even hear the rumbling of the truck. I gotta admit though, what makes me really know that I have the best headset is that when I'm speaking to one of my friends, and then say something like, "Can you hear me alright? I'm using a wireless headset," and the friend answers something like, "You're using a wireless headset?! You're kidding!" Just wish I had found this one before I spent a few frustrated weeks going from headset to headset, thinking that the problem must be the Treo 650! Well, hopefully you guys won't have to do that now. Enjoy!

That's great news Jesse!
    After reading so many posts all over the web about all the different (and lacking) BT headsets, I am so excited that we have all narrowed it down to the Scala 500.

I am definitely going to buy it. It really helped to have your personal examples.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast