+ Reply to Thread

Smile Assigning Ringtones to Specific Contacts?

Any way to assign ringtones to specific callers, like on any regular phone? Any help would be appreciated! scottieharris@gmail.com
    Scott Harris
    scottieharris@gmail.com

Several programs out there do this. Agengus version 9 has this ability. Call Filter is the one I use - it works great. There is also a program named MRing that looks good, too.

Barbara

It can also be done with the built-in software. The bad part about it is that it requires you to add the contact as a Favorite Button, which has a setting for assigning a ringtone.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

db

what am i missing?

assigned office number as favorite.
    went to prefs->sound&alerts->tones->new
    recorded me saying "office calling"
    named and saved
    went back to favorites and assigned that ringtone to the favorite.
    call from the office shows up correctly on caller id, but rings with the "known caller tone."
    this is a verizon treo 650.

suggestions?
    -db

Since I switched to the Treo 650 I've been using MRing. It works like a charm. It will assign a specifc ring tone to a category of contacts; it will also assign specific ring tones to separate contacts. I love it.

... Call Filter is the one I use - it works great. ...
    Are you using Call Filter on a 650? I thought it didn't work with the 650 (it was designed for the 600)...

Are you using Call Filter on a 650? I thought it didn't work with the 650 (it was designed for the 600)...

You're right. When I posted that I had a Treo 600, and it DID work. When I upgraded to a Treo 650 I found that Call Filter didn't work with the upgrade.

However, MRing works with the 650. The only thing it doesn't do that CallFilter did is to actually block calls. But I can live with that.

I have tried phone technician, ringo, lightwav and haven't found the perfect product for the 650...thank you treo for screwing up what should have been an easy idea of letting us use MP3's. Gosh how I miss my Kyocera...I will try mring...

db

does the built-in app work for favorites?

i'm still not clear what the glitch in the built-in app is.

i've recorded a new "sound," it shows up in the ringtone list, and in prefs, i can listen to it.

when i go to edit the favorites button, i can choose my new ringtone, which is in the list, but it is silent. as each ringtone is selected from the list, it plays itself. my new ringtone as well as "new sound" are silent.

the newly recorded tones DO work for the known and unknown caller designation.

-db

I use Ringo Pro - works great. I have a pic and an mp3 set for many of my contacts within my address book. It costs about 20 bucks - I recommend it!

I've tried several different ringer programs and I think mRing is my favorite. You can assign mp3's or wav's to any contact, known and unknown callers, vm and sms. Of all the one's I've tried this one is definitely the better one. I also hear great things about RingoPro, but I haven't tried it. The regular Ringo put a bad taste in my mouth. Lightwav was the worst... it reset my phone everysingle time I got a call or a text.

Most ringer programs have free trials... I would look into that to find the best one for you.