+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Treo650 (GSM)... I'm coming back

This is an expensive habit..... all these phones. After switching from my Treo600 (Sprint CDMA) to a PPC PDA2K (Cingular GSM), I find I really miss the simplicity of my Treo. The data capabilities on the PDA2K are nice, and the phone is just OK. So far the integration and ease of use are just not there like the Treo. Since I was going to spend some money to move from to GSM I had to justify the move with a "upgrade" of a device. I mean, why just go from a CDMA Treo 600 to a GSM Treo 600, and have several hundred dollars less to show for it. So I spluged on the PDA2K, but after a few months, I am just not happy with it. It may be for some, but not for me. I guess I will be putting the PDA2K on eBay soon.

I still can not believe I can not find the device I really want.
    1. Palm OS based
    2. Clam shell design
    3. QWERTY keyboard
    4. WiFi/GSM radios

Why cant PalmOne make a clam shell Treo with WiFi?

How does the battery life on the 650 compare with the 600?

Any definite date on an unlocked GSM version of the Treo650?

Anyone know if the GSM version is plagued with the audio issues reported on the CDMA version?
    Carl

Patience, Jago, patience...

Join the club, Carl. Still waiting on any info regarding release of GSM Treo 650. They say - January. We'll see...

Re: Treo650 (GSM)... I'm coming back

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    This is an expensive habit..... all these phones.
    lol Carl... ain't that the truth
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Well my calendar shows January is pretty close. I dont plan on being first for the GSM version, like I was for the PDA2K and the Treo600. I am going to let others get the 650 first, and wait a week or two to see if there are any show stoppers, especially the audio problem that has plagued the CDMA version.

Hey Robert, good to see you here. What is your current phone and service, Ive kinda lost track from the old days. You still using Sprint/NExtel?
    Carl

Administrator
    carl, shame on you for leaving sprint. good to see you back where the grass is greener...

... How does the battery life on the 650 compare with the 600?

If you can get a straight answer from any 650 user you're a better man than I! Some people say it's great others say okay, but when I ask for a comparison with what they experienced with the 600, I get silence. Maybe this will provoke a response. But it's not really useful information unless it's somebody who can say how their 600 fared under the same or similar circumstances. I'd sure like to know...while I'm waiting for a Palm to actually sell a cradle to make owning a 650 worthwhile!

Re: Re: Treo650 (GSM)... I'm coming back

Originally posted by mdavis
    If you can get a straight answer from any 650 user you're a better man than I! Some people say it's great others say okay, but when I ask for a comparison with what they experienced with the 600, I get silence. Maybe this will provoke a response. But it's not really useful information unless it's somebody who can say how their 600 fared under the same or similar circumstances. I'd sure like to know...while I'm waiting for a Palm to actually sell a cradle to make owning a 650 worthwhile!
    I think a large part of the problem is no one wants to type out the long response needed to answer your question. I charge my 650 daily so battery life really isn't a problem for me. Keeping in mind that my usage patterns vary greatly from day to day, the amount of battery useage (judged by glancing at the battery icon) seems to be equivalent or slightly better than the 600, with the battery never going below 25% during heavy use (mp3/video playback, web surfing, constant email checking, phone useage). In short, if you are worried about battery life on the 650, don't be, its fine. Everyone has different useage patterns so no matter how many detailed responses you may or may not get, no one is going to be able to how well the 650's battery will fare with a useage pattern similar to yours. Once the cradle is available (assuming that is the only thing that is holding you back), pick up the 650 and try it out for yourself, that's the only way to be entirely sure about the battery life and if you are unhappy with it, return it. Hope that helps.

Re: Re: Re: Treo650 (GSM)... I'm coming back

Originally posted by Marty
    ... Everyone has different useage patterns so no matter how many detailed responses you may or may not get, no one is going to be able to how well the 650's battery will fare with a useage pattern similar to yours. ...

Thanks. Nobody will have a useage pattern similar to mine, probably, because I have had serious power problems with the 600 and carry the clunky external with me. (I have since installed the larger battery inside; somewhat hairy but not bad in the end). But you are the only one who's given me a report based on 600 use in comparable circumstances.

The cradle is one of two huge reasons. The other is the memory/app problem. I can't believe that Backupman doesn't yet work in its latest version (the only one I have) and that it is possible you cannot wireless sync Vindigo. We'll see... Thanks again.

Backupman does work on the 650 (see the website for the latest version) although it is somewhat buggy. I have it set for daily backups and I would say every 1 out of 10-15 times it fails to do the backup (some random memory error). When it does make it through the backup process, the backup is complete and completely restores the 650. Hopefully, this will all be resolved once Palm1 fixes the memory issues.

I have the latest version 1.51 but according to what I've seen posted only version 1.45 works.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    carl, shame on you for leaving sprint. good to see you back where the grass is greener...
    Hey Marc, good to see you as well. I do more reading than posting these days. I still like Sprint, and still have a Sprint data card for my laptop (paitiently waiting for EVDO). But, I needed a reliable cell phone in my house, the repeater just was not cutting it. That left me with on Cingular or T Mobile. ATT gets an unusable signal at my house, and VZW gets NO digital signal, only analog. I am not in the sticks at all, I am less than a mile and a half from downtown Marietta, which is less than 15 miles from downtown Atlanta.

I am regretting my decision on a PPC device. I miss the simplicity of the Palm OS, and being able to do everything with one hand.
    Carl

Doing everything on a Treo one handed is theoretically possible but some chores require the dexterity of a concert pianist. Actually, if there were an Olympics finger gymnastic category, I think the Treo would be the major event.

I have the latest version 1.51 but according to what I've seen posted only version 1.45 works.
    The latest version is 1.52b5. This is what I am using and like I said before, seems to work most of the time.

Re: Re: Treo650 (GSM)... I'm coming back

mdavis:

Short answer - better than the 600. I use my Treo 650 more than I used the 600 (calls - maybe 20% more per day, and "toys" another 10% or more), and the battery still lasts longer than the 600 (I'd estimate 10-15% longer). I bought a spare battery, and have only used it once, on a three day weekend (day three) when the original battery hit 40%.

carlgalgano:

Welcome back to the Treo fold (but I still think you need to go back to Sprint - data service is still much better).
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Thanks very much.

Re: Re: Re: Treo650 (GSM)... I'm coming back

Originally posted by dstrauss

carlgalgano:

Welcome back to the Treo fold (but I still think you need to go back to Sprint - data service is still much better).
    Hey Dale, I still have my SPCS data card, so I am not totally gone. I am patiently waiting for EVDO. But I do like having a phone that works in my house.

I think I have my phone situation worked out. Based on pricing that I see on Ebay, I can sell my PDA2K and get enough back on it to get a Treo600 to hold me thru, until the GSM 650 is released. I will wait until after the new year though to start selling and buying, as I will out of town until then.
    Carl

The data capabilities on the PDA2K are nice, and the phone is just OK. So far the integration and ease of use are just not there like the Treo.
    Will you please elaborate? I've been toying with the idea of a new PPC Smartphone.

What exactly is more complicated? More keystrokes?

Cradle kit for 650 . . .

[

The cradle is one of two huge reasons. The other is the memory/app problem. I can't believe that Backupman doesn't yet work in its latest version (the only one I have) and that it is possible you cannot wireless sync Vindigo. We'll see... Thanks again. [/B]
    A search on google shows a cradle kit for $54 coming out

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....0363&listing=1

Here it is for $44 (scroll down) it's part # 3198WW
    http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...asp?typeid=309

Don't know if the guy in the 7135 forum still is around but if he is it will probably be about $25 from him. He had an Ebay store too.
    Don't have time to look it up but it was his first name@AOL.com and he sold OEM accessories cheap. Do a seach on the 7135 forum for his store as he's cheaper direct.

Found his name: It's www.Danscellphones@aol.com
    If he's still in business, once the cradles come out he will be cheaper then anyone. He was great for all accessories, carried many brands. Just email him for a quote or check out his ebay website.
    Last edited by Expidia; 12-25-2004 at 10:13 PM.

Hey Beryl....
    I have used a lot of Palm based devices, from the original Palm Pilot > Kyo 6035 > Samsung i300 > Treo 600. So you might say I have a bias towards the Palm OS.

During the time above, I have also owned a PocketPC HP Jornada 548 and Jornada 820. In short I keep coming back to the PalmOS for a handheld device. I only had the Jornada 548 about 2 months before I ditched it. (I stiill have the 820, but rarely touch it). I guess I am lured in by the coolness of the way the PPC OS works, but I grow tired of the way it takes more key strokes to do things. The integration of the PPC to the phone is just not as good. IMHO, the Treo is the best in this department. I miss being able to dial anyone from my address book with one hand and about 3 keystrokes. With the PPC I have had mixed sucess with MS Voice Command.

This is just one example (but a big one for me).
    PPC to dial Jim Smith's mobile phone:
    Option 1, press the side voice command button, and say, "Call Jim Smith on Mobile". Now, if this worked very reliably, it would be very cool, but it does not. When I first installed VC, I had great sucess with it, but lately my sucess rate is about 25%. So, after saying "Call Jim Smith on Mobile" 6 or 7 times, I get POed and try option 2.
    Option 2, slide the keyboard down (not too bad with one hand). Press the "contacts" hard button. Press the keys that correspond to SMITH. However, at this time I have to look at the screen to see if the letters from my LAST search are still there, and if they are, I have to use the backspace key first to clear out the search field. Then when I see Jim Smith, I have to move the cursor down to his entry, press the "entry" button, scroll down to his mobile number, and press the "entry/OK" button again. By this time I have run off the road.

On the Treo, I had the setting to dial by alpha if the keyboard is pressed. So to call Jim Smith on Mobile, I simply press the JSM keys, Jim Smith's entry are shown, along with ALL the numbers for Jom Smith. I just scroll with the 5 way to his mobile number and press the center of the D pad.

My other beef with the PPC is the need to reboot pretty often. Many programs do not close when you close them, and stay running in memory. Eventually the device runs slow.

The PPC had a great screen, and using the browser is pretty nice. I like the landscape mode as well. But in the end, I really just need a (good) phone I can get my email on, use a telnet emulator to connect to some of the servers on my office network, and do SMS. The Treo did these very well. the SMS app on the Treo is so much better, keeping a "conversation" thread mode. It is nice to see a running dialog of an SMS conversation. Snappermail is much superior to the mail client built into the PPC.

I know all these things are about personal preferene, so by no means am I saying that my opinions are good for all. But, I have decided that the PDA2K experiment is over. I will buy a Treo600 GSM and wait until the 650 comes out to see if it has the same problems the Sprint version has.
    Carl

Re: Cradle kit for 650 . . .

Originally posted by Expidia
    A search on google shows a cradle kit for $54 coming out
    You don't have to go that far. Go to Palm. The cradle has been "announced" since before the 650 was available. Unfortunately, it is not for sale! In other words, its vaporware.