+ Reply to Thread

Question 650 Bluetooth Hotsync

The only thing that might sway me to give up my i500 is bluetooth hotsync. But I've heard a rumor that the 650 bluetooth won't communicate with an integrated wifi/bluetooth adapter (e.g. Intel 2200 B/G Bluetooth). I've heard it will only lock on via old-school com port technology, making it quite slow, and I'm assuming requiring an old-school com port adapter of some sort as well? Sounds pretty lame if true. Any insight would be appreciated.....

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    Well, I am certainly no expert,
    but I have integrated bluetooth on my Toshiba Tablet PC and I am able to bluetooth sync. To set it up for bluetooth sync, you set up a "virtual serial com port" and yes, it is quite slow compared to USB sync, suggesting to me that it is indeed serial.

Still kinda cool to see the phone syncing "all by itself"
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

Originally posted by shadowboxer
    Well, I am certainly no expert,
    but I have integrated bluetooth on my Toshiba Tablet PC and I am able to bluetooth sync. To set it up for bluetooth sync, you set up a "virtual serial com port" and yes, it is quite slow compared to USB sync, suggesting to me that it is indeed serial.

Still kinda cool to see the phone syncing "all by itself"
    yes, this is exactly the case with the 650 in regards to BT hotsyncing.

while faster is almost always better, are you frequently hotsyncing in some crazy rush?

i've been hotsyncing palm devices via serial for years. it ain't zippy by any stretch, but once or twice a day it makes the device inaccessible for 45 or 60 seconds instead of 15 - what's the big deal?

doody.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's just lame that current laptops and PC's are shipping with integrated wifi/bluetooth adapters at what's currently considered high-speed. You buy into that, and then find out the "lastest and greatest" in cell tech is speaking old, com-port lingo in context to bluetooth.

All I hear from anyone who's bought into BT cell technology this year, whether it's Blackberry, Treo, etc., is less than satisfaction - both in BT headset fidelity and hotsync speed/effectiveness. It seems to me it's another "not quite there" technology being used to move product.

If anyone has overwhelmingly positive feedback about current BT that contradicts what I'm saying I'd love to hear it.

Originally posted by Doody
    while faster is almost always better, are you frequently hotsyncing in some crazy rush?

i've been hotsyncing palm devices via serial for years. it ain't zippy by any stretch, but once or twice a day it makes the device inaccessible for 45 or 60 seconds instead of 15 - what's the big deal?

doody.
    it all depends on what programs you have installed and thus how much data you sync. Doing a BT hotsync takes my 650 around 5-7 minutes whereas USB is closer to 1-2 minutes. When in a rush (as I usually am) and I need to get that email or powerpoint or word document synced over to my 650, the USB makes a big difference.

I think I need a little clarification if you all don't mind. I was just about to order a bluetooth/USB adapter and was hoping to try syncing that way. All such adapters use USB 1.1 which I understand is very slow compared to USB 2.0, but even still I found the speed advertised at 1Mbps. The only webpage that I have found thus far for virtual serial ports listed the speed at 250Kbps, so that sounds like the USB 1.1 would still be far better. My questions to you all are these: (1) Are my numbers here correct? (2) Am I to understand from the discussion that the Bluetooth/USB adapters will not communicate with the Treo650?

Bluetooth Hotsync on the Treo 650 uses a virtual serial port. You will probably get 115k-230kbps using BT hotsync.

Bluetooth itself isn't limited to this speed, as far as I know. It's just the Hotsync process on the Treo 650 using a virtual Serial port. Serial ports inherently have a pretty slow speed limitation.

Even if the Treo 650 wasn't using a virtual serial port, you would probably get a max of 300kbps, even though some devices state a max speed of 1 mbps using Bluetooth. So given that max speed on a USB 1.1 connection is 12mbps, there really isn't too much need for a usb 2.0 connection. Bluetooth won't really use up too much bandwidth for either 1.1 or 2.0.

Bluetooth/USB adapter should work fine with the Treo 650, why not?

Originally posted by Marty
    it all depends on what programs you have installed and thus how much data you sync. Doing a BT hotsync takes my 650 around 5-7 minutes whereas USB is closer to 1-2 minutes. When in a rush (as I usually am) and I need to get that email or powerpoint or word document synced over to my 650, the USB makes a big difference.
    my apologies for my uneducated initial post!

now that i have a 650 and am bluetooth hotsyncing, i understand just how damn slow it is .

still painfully convenient to have one less cable cluttering my desk, but it's damn damn slow for sure!

doody.

of course (at least on mac) you can cron an automatic BT hotsynch (say for 3am). that's highly valuable as you can basically forget all about ever having to sync unless in a rush.
    in which case, push the button.

Originally posted by hughness1
    Thanks for the feedback.

If anyone has overwhelmingly positive feedback about current BT that contradicts what I'm saying I'd love to hear it.
    I'm pretty overwhelmingly happy about the bluetooth - both for syncing and for handsfree use in the car.

Your comments about the lameness of what the actual implementation is vs. the possible implementation are probably right on.

Nevertheless, I use bluetooth sync, happily, about 99% of the time. I use the cable if I'm installing some large new program, or if I'm downloading a new book from audible.com. (Though usually I just use the card reader for that).

The same reason that makes me want a converged device makes me want bluetooth - less to carry & keep track of between work/home/travel.

Now that I'm used to it I can't go back to a non bluetooth phone!

On my Kyocera 7135 I used to use the IR for syncing. How does that compare in speed to BT?

Originally posted by slorandy
    On my Kyocera 7135 I used to use the IR for syncing. How does that compare in speed to BT?
    Well I just tried to do identical syncs with bt & ir to compare. Bluetooth seems to be about 2.5 times faster, though when syncing with IR I lost the connection before the sync finished half the time. (I remember being annoyed enough by that with my 7135 that I never used IR sync except in an "emergency").

Hi delrey, thanks for taking the time to check that out. I'll work on getting a BT adapter for my laptop.

Jae
    Anyone have problems with syncing with BT? My first attempt, my 650 reset, on my second attempt, the desktop side froze. Anyone have similar problems and workarounds?
    J