+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TREO 650 on Verizon

Check this out guys. With a little work you can use the T650 on VZW. http://php.chol.com/~mines/photo/028/ (these are the instructions to do so) and this this the entire post if you wanna read it in all its glory.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&page=1&pp=20

xraymed

I know. I already bought the Sprint Treo 650, but I don't have the hacked cable, nor the skills to make one and do the rest of the voodoo to convert it to my carrier, Verizon.

I am continuing to try to find someone in Minnesota that has already done this to their Treo 600 or 650.

Anyone out there that can help me? Please???
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I had originally posted one of those post in the Treo 600 group so the guys there would know there is a possiblity of an upgrade to the 650 and VZW, But I see the moderators moved it here. Just from my experience I don't surf all the forums just the ones that apply to my phone, I just was wanting to spread the good news. I had converted from a 7135 to a Treo600 and I know there is alot of unsureness (if thats a word) because all of these phones are so close but no one wants to part from the Grand PooPaw of Cellular Providers ie VZW. Well have fun and spread the news. I also read on a site (www.hackaday.com I beleive, which is where I originally got the 650 to VZW info) the VZW wants to buy Sprint and is waiting for the ok from Vodafone to do so and disrrupt the Sprint Nextel merger. I don't know if its true or not though (Possibly Rumor)

I moved the thread. My reasoning is that if someone was really interested in having/upgrading to a 650 on Verizon (regardless if they are using a Treo 600 or any other smartphone), the logical/obvious place to look would be the 650 forum to see if anyone had posted the necessary information.

Question Sprint phone using Verizon Net?

I thought there were a few posts that mentioned being able to have a Sprint phone, be a Sprint customer, but pay a $5.00/mo fee to have access to the Verizon network??

Is this still an option??
    Mike

It sounds to me like the whole hacking thing to get the 650 to work on Verizon is too much trouble......

hmmmmm

Re: Sprint phone using Verizon Net?

Originally posted by Breeze_S
    I thought there were a few posts that mentioned being able to have a Sprint phone, be a Sprint customer, but pay a $5.00/mo fee to have access to the Verizon network??

Is this still an option??
    Yes. Sprint customers can pay an extra $5/month and up to half of your minutes can be used for roaming on another carrier's network (like Verizon) without incurring any extra fees.

Re: Re: Sprint phone using Verizon Net?

Originally posted by Marty
    Yes. Sprint customers can pay an extra $5/month and up to half of your minutes can be used for roaming on another carrier's network (like Verizon) without incurring any extra fees.
    I left Sprint for Verizon because of the poor coverage issues with Sprint in Los Angeles/So Cal. Would this $5 option on Sprint then give me better service/coverage if I went back to Sprint?

Originally posted by SuzzyP
    It sounds to me like the whole hacking thing to get the 650 to work on Verizon is too much trouble......
    hmmmmm
    It was well worth it in my opinion.
    I am soooooooooooooooooo lovin' my Verizonized 650.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Is the $5.00 Charge listed as Verizon Service?

I'm wondering is it just that simple to get a Sprint phone to run on the Verizon network, when you need it.

Is the $5.00/mo charge actually listed as a service to alow you on the Verizon network?? By Name??
    Mike

Re: Re: Re: Sprint phone using Verizon Net?

Originally posted by KnotCounting
    Would this $5 option on Sprint then give me better service/coverage if I went back to Sprint?
    On the surface it would seem so but only you can answer that question for sure by giving the service with that new $5/month option a try.

Re: Is the $5.00 Charge listed as Verizon Service?

Originally posted by Breeze_S
    I'm wondering is it just that simple to get a Sprint phone to run on the Verizon network, when you need it.

Is the $5.00/mo charge actually listed as a service to alow you on the Verizon network?? By Name??
    No. The phone will only switch over to the other carrier's network (likely Verizon but not necessarily) if there is no Sprint signal. You cannot make the phone switch networks yourself. No, the service is not listed as 'Verizon service" or anything similar to that. Take a look on the Sprint website to learn more about it.

Re: Re: Is the $5.00 Charge listed as Verizon Service?

Do you still have access to data, sms etc when off Sprint's network?
    Originally posted by Marty
    No. The phone will only switch over to the other carrier's network (likely Verizon but not necessarily) if there is no Sprint signal. You cannot make the phone switch networks yourself. No, the service is not listed as 'Verizon service" or anything similar to that. Take a look on the Sprint website to learn more about it.

Re: Re: Re: Is the $5.00 Charge listed as Verizon Service?

Originally posted by MisterEd
    Do you still have access to data, sms etc when off Sprint's network?
    Not sure about SMS but most data such as email and web surfing will not work on any other carrier's network except Sprint no matter what roaming agreements are in place.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the $5.00 Charge listed as Verizon Service?

Someone get a 650, hack it up and I'll buy it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the $5.00 Charge listed as Verizon Service?

Originally posted by RUYORK
    Someone get a 650, hack it up and I'll buy it.
    look on ebay, there are plenty of people who are selling sprint treo 650s hacked to work on verizon.

Yea but are those people legit to buy from? how do you tell??????

Originally posted by SuzzyP
    Yea but are those people legit to buy from? how do you tell??????
    look at their feedback, email them, contact other ebay members who bought from them, etc. nothing is ever 100% safe when buying from an ebay seller but if you do some basic research on the seller before submitting a bid, chances are you will be happy with the end result.

This just in from the "Fuel for the Fire" department:

A Verizon rep told me this morning that they would start offering the 650 in "about a month".

No independent confirmation was offered, so I post this only as another FYI....

My 7135 is getting tired, so I'm HOPING!!!!

Originally posted by zcd2.7t
    This just in from the "Fuel for the Fire" department:

A Verizon rep told me this morning that they would start offering the 650 in "about a month".

No independent confirmation was offered, so I post this only as another FYI....

My 7135 is getting tired, so I'm HOPING!!!!
    I for one am hopeful!!! Thanks...