+ Reply to Thread

Sync with Outlook 2003

Hey, I'm new to this whole concept of a 'smartphone'. Currently I use a separate cell phone and PDA (sprint nokia 6225 and hp ipaq running winmobile 2003). i'm considering a Treo 650. I don't mind switching operating systems, as long as it syncs with Outlook 2003.

Will the Palm software that comes with the Treo sync with Outlook 2003?

With the 2003 client, no problem.
    With the 2003 server (Exchange ActiveSync) maybe....

Treo 650 syncing questions

I just myself jumpped from using a V710 Motorola phone and IPAQ Pocket PC to this Treo 650. Getting use to it is a bit wierd, and I have some questions as to the syncing with Outlook 2003.

Anyone that can help direct me, it would be appreciated.

My question relatets to how the contacts are dumped into the phone. I have personal phone numbers from my phone that are have been transfered into the Treo, and am wondering when I sync with Outlook, will it over right these?

Also, how do you break out the contacts into categories, such as Personal, Buisness, Others...etc.

The Palm software seems limiting in that it does not let you customize this.

Anyone have any clue as to how to address this?

Thanks,

JC

some of the people in my office had the same problem syncing with 2003. My IT person advises that it is a problem with chapura/poket mirror.
    He has solved the problem by switching those folks to the latest version of Intellisync for the hotsync and that seems to solve it.

Mike
    michaelb92

I was told by My IT guy that if you upgrade (SPend the $50) to the full blown version of Pocket Mirror XT, this will solve the problem. Any experience with this?

Thanks,

Jerry

I solved my sync problems with Outlook 2003 by applying a patch from the palmone web site. There are references to this on the mytreo.net site as well.

Good luck

I got the free updates from Chapura's website and sync with 2003 all the time.

Work is Exchange server and out is straight Outlook.

Thank you kindly,

Tony

Okay folks, get ready with a plate of "crow" over here.

I purchased, downloaded and installed some DataViz applications, including Beyond Contacts. Their single conduit puts Chapura's to shame.

Downside? the Today application does not work correctly now because the built-in applications are no longer being updated. Looking for a replacement or some way to get Beyond Contacts to open on power-on.

Thank you kindly,

Tony

I did a work around for the Today application. I re-configured PocketMirror (Chapura) to sync my calendar and tasks (I don't use any of the extended Outlook Fields). So if I make changes in Beyond Contacts on the 650 or in Outlook they will eventually get reflected in the Today startup application.

Not pretty but workable.

Thank you kindly,

Tony

PocketMirror will work well enough to sync Outlook 2003 with the native Palm applications, but you will be limited to the data fields that are available in the Palm apps (contacts, calendar, to-do, memo). Beyond Contacts from DataViz is a much better option, IMHO. Just the ability to keep track of all the phone number fields and both a home and a business address in the Contacts list is justification enough for me. You'll find that most of your contacts list will be entered into the Palm contacts app, as well, as that is where the Caller ID and voice/one-touch dialing functions reside.
    Tim Dees

The Beyond Contacts conduit has an option for keeping the Treo's interal contact list updated without impacting Outlook. I use it and am very grateful for it.

And my work around for the Today application died this morning. I removed the application and set the default apps conduits to "do nothing" and just let Beyond Contacts do its thing.

Originally posted by timdees
    PocketMirror will work well enough to sync Outlook 2003 with the native Palm applications, but you will be limited to the data fields that are available in the Palm apps (contacts, calendar, to-do, memo). Beyond Contacts from DataViz is a much better option, IMHO. Just the ability to keep track of all the phone number fields and both a home and a business address in the Contacts list is justification enough for me. You'll find that most of your contacts list will be entered into the Palm contacts app, as well, as that is where the Caller ID and voice/one-touch dialing functions reside.

Thank you kindly,

Tony

Wil

Wireless Sync Up

There is another way to sync up with Outlook 2003. Wirelessly! Via a DataViz product called Inbox To Go. However, there's an annual fee and it sends email from Outlook to their server, something like every fifteen minutes or so as I understand it, which can then be read wireless by the Treo. I'm not sure if this is worth getting since on Outlook you could make a rule to forward emails to the Treo's email rather than go through DataViz's server. But maybe I'm missing something.

DataViz bundles Beyond Contacts with their Documents To Go which supports Word, Excel, and PDF in email attachments. Does the Treo handle Word and Excel files natively, at all? DataViz describes this bundle here.

And finally, here's a simple question. With DataViz's Beyond Contacts, is it best to use it with the standard email program that's included in the Treo? I know there are third party email programs like snappermail etc. But I don't think DataViz has their own email client, per se. Or, maybe they do? Anyway, is there any reason not to use the email program that's included on Treo with DataViz products like Beyond Contacts? Thanks!

Will

Hi Will,

None of the Palm OS devices handle MS files natively. I have always used Docs2Go for my needs since 2003. For PDF files, I just load the Adobe Acrobat Reader for Palm devices and it works very well.

As I don't use my Treo for e-mail or messaging, I could not respond to the other questions.

Thank you kindly,

Tony

You should have no problem with 2003. With the standard conduits furnished with the Treo, basic syncing worked fine. I wanted to sync mulitple folders, so I purcased Pocket Mirror for $50, kind of expensive, but does a much better job of syncing folders, and so far works great.

BeyondContacts (DataViz) will sync multiple Outlook folders for the various items as well.

Thank you kindly,

Tony

Wil
    Help! So in Outlook without Exchange where the anti-Spam software runs in the Outlook client but doesn't use Outlook's built in Rules, how does a person forward emails from Outlook to the Treo 650's email account without getting spammed?