+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maps

Pockets

Thumbs up Maps

I've been a Streets & Trips user for years. Excited about the Pocket version for my 650, but learned that it requires MS ActiveSync. Any experiences with MS ActiveSync v. HotSync? My HotSync has been working great and I don't want to take a chance screwing something up. AND - does anyone have experience with other maps for 650?

I have not, but I did see an ad and looked at the site for Mapopopilis ( I dont think I spelled that right, but I do have it bookmarked, and I am tempted to try it.
    michaelb92

Personally, I am very excited about the TomTom BlueTooth Navigation 2004 for Palm T3 (but it also works with Treo650):
    http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/tomnavbluetf.html

Last edited by Markito; 12-26-2004 at 11:07 AM.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I bought the TomTom bluetooth GPS and software last week. I've been using it for 3-4 days now. It's pretty cool. Almost as geeky as watching a movie on my Treo 650.

The software works great on the Treo 650.

It works pretty well. Points of Interest are not as extensive as my Garmin 2610, but it will be great to have on Business Trips. I hated jamming my Garmin into my suitcase.

Also, the maps are probably 2-3 years old. Not a big deal, but not as up-to-date as my garmin.

Pockets
    I'll checkout TomTom. With as much new construction going on these days, any map will get out-of-date pretty quickly.

Happy Holidays everyone!

tom-tom

I am confused -

1.do I need a separate GPs to get voice directions?

2. Tom toms support site says there are issues with the 650

Is anybody actually using it with the 650 and if so, are you getting voice commands?

Mike
    michaelb92

I ordered my TOMTOM a couple of days ago. I've been wanting a GPS system for a year and finally a bluetooth solution for my phone that hopefully should look clean when installed in a car. Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted it in their cars? Problems with dangling wires, etc?

Re: tom-tom

Originally posted by michaelb92
    I am confused -

1.do I need a separate GPs to get voice directions?

2. Tom toms support site says there are issues with the 650

Is anybody actually using it with the 650 and if so, are you getting voice commands?

Mike
    You need a bluetooth GPS receiver. This will connect to your 650 wirelessly via Bluetooth. The TomTom software is loaded onto your 650 and this is where you view the maps. There are some minor issues with the TomTom software and the 650 but nothing major, a soft reset fixes it everytime when needed (which is not very often). Yes, voice commands work fine with the 650 and TomTom. The TomTom GPS software and receiver is an excellent GPS solutiion for your 650 and I highly recommend it.

Originally posted by needmoretoys
    I ordered my TOMTOM a couple of days ago. I've been wanting a GPS system for a year and finally a bluetooth solution for my phone that hopefully should look clean when installed in a car. Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted it in their cars? Problems with dangling wires, etc?
    The TomTom GPS receiver does not need to be mounted. You can simply throw it in your glove compartment and forget about it (has an internal rechargeable battery, comes with a car and wall charger if the battery gets low and needs to be charged). I did not mount the 650 either, I'll occasionally glance down and look at it but find myself relying more on the voice directions, which are very loud and clear.

TomTom is supposedly releasing an official version for the Treo 650 "in the next few weeks". We'll wait and see.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Oh man, it came and I installed it.

Wow, this thing is super clean, I set it up and all I had is my phone and the receiver, no wires and nothing flaky. I could just put the receiver in my pocket or car (where it could see the satellites) and could just listen or look at my phone during the route, that's it.
    I now have a portable GPS system right on my phone that will work perfectly in the car as well. The re-routing was extremely quick even when I was walking it found out I was going the wrong way and was able to replot my route in a few seconds.

The mount does not fit the 650, but I was able to use most of it and clipped my 650 to it on the top left hand corner of my windshield and now I could see the map or look at who is calling me or mute the phone. Best add-on ever.
    I now have the perfect toy.(At least for now)

Thanks needmoretoys for that great report

Where did you buy it and what is the pricing on it?

Mike
    michaelb92

I used my 20% discount and got it from palmone $287 with 3 day free shipping.

3D Software / VR Developer ferneau's Avatar
    Which 20% discount is that?