+ Reply to Thread
    Brian

Question Must Have Apps for the t650

Having the latest and greatest phone sure is expensive! I loved my t600 but after seeing my friend's, and him using its extended capibilities I HAD to get a t650!! Man it is GREAT, the new layout is GREAT and the keyboard is such much easier to use, especially to dial with!

But to the subject, sorry for the tangent . What are the must have apps for this treo? Now that we have the 320x320 screen this opens up a whole new world. The processor is supposed to be twice as fast<?>, I havent really noticed a difference, especially with zlauncher opening speed.

Any suggestions for applications for an all around IT geek? Any would be appreciated.

Also, anyone notice MobileTS doesnt allow you to use the nav-pad? Hope they fix that.
    -Brian

MMPlayer for playing movies
    Pocket DVD Studio for encoding
    Zlauncher
    PocketTunes for MP3 and Shoutcast streaming audio
    Datebk5 better calendar
    Voicesignal voicedial
    PalmVNC Remote control
    TomTom Bluetooth Navigator 2004 (Bluetooth GPS with US maps, routing and voice direction)

where are you storing all these applications? I added Zlauncher and have about 40% of my memory left is all.

All these apps? I have about 8 times the amount of apps on my Treo 650. These are just the essential ones.

I currently am using some in Rom using a rom hack..but even before that I had enough for all of them with 9-10mb left...

I had some stored on my 1gb SD card.

Zlauncher does not take up 40% of the memory on a Treo 650. You have got to be kidding. That would mean it would take up around 9mb.

Even if you load all the add-ons to Zlauncher, it takes less then 2mb.

I'm not saying Zlauncher is taking up that much memory. All I'm saying is that the only software that I have added is Zlauncher and I only have 9.7mb left. That's why I'm asking how and where you store these apps. I obviously am doing something wrong.

How do you store apps on your sd card?

Brian
    Originally posted by nezzy76
    I'm not saying Zlauncher is taking up that much memory. All I'm saying is that the only software that I have added is Zlauncher and I only have 9.7mb left. That's why I'm asking how and where you store these apps. I obviously am doing something wrong.

How do you store apps on your sd card?
    SD Card reader . The second easiest way for you would be to use Zlauncher to do it.

-Brian

Software must haves

So I got Treoguard to turn off the screen when I'm on the phone. I could get KB lightsoff to turn off the keyboard backlight but its irritating to have to buy two programs to do what should be standard on the phone. I guess I need either Hi-Launcher or ZLauncher or some such program, again because the launcher they put on the phone just isn't what it could be. Then there is pocket tunes, though I'm not sure yet how its better than realplayer.

So what are the other must haves out there? I'm talking about the utility programs that just make the phone more useable and function better. If you have any suggestions or experience, I'd like to hear it.

OK, here is another one. According to the reviews, its a must have to better manage your call log.

https://smartphonetools.treobits.com...imit=0#Reviews
    Last edited by Frogmanx84; 07-08-2005 at 08:03 AM.

There is the set from Hobbyisft Software. Butler, Phone Technician, and Initiate. There are the voice dialing applications, like Voice Dialer Pro, and VoiceLauncher. mp3 ringtones with LightWav, mp3Ringer, Ringo Pro, and mRing. mp3 playing with Pocket Tunes. IMing with VeriChat, Causerie, Mundu, and Chatopus. Email with Snappermail and Chatteremail.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Here are my suggestions:
    MUST HAVES:

LEDOff - The LED light on the 650 is waaaay too bright. This app lets you set what will let the LED light to operate, and what to shut off.

mLights - Adjust the light for day and nights (less power at night, no keyboard light during the day. helps with battery life

VolumeCare - Adjusts the volume of the handset and speaker. The factory defaults just aren't loud enough for me.

eReader - Virtual books

SplashID - encrypted database to keep track of anything and everything! backs up to your desktop so you can run it from either desktop or palm.

fileZ - file manager that lets you see files (and ROM files). and the ability to move files between Treo and SD card.

WorldMate - If you travel, this is a must! keeps track of current weather, 4 timezones, checks flights, and much more.

REALLY NICE TO HAVE:

MMPlayer - Play movies on your palm!

Pocket DVD Studio - convert movies for the palm!

Aggression - The game Risk

Bejeweled2 - time killer game.

So now I have treoguard, mainly to turn the display off during a call, and...

Butler with three nice functions, control over the the led light, using the volume rocker for scrolling and the side button to select, and access to phone hotkey settings outside of the phone application. The big one was the scrolling for me. It was just too annoying when having to use my fingernail along the tiny scroll bar to view a document. I only take out that stick as a last resort.

So far these are the only two must haves for me. I'm still not convinced I need a launcher if my most used programs have a one button launch from Butler. If I start having memory problems and need better access to the SD card I may rethink that.

Pocket tunes or some other such program is probably next on my investigate list.

edit, just got filez a 5 star file manager that is actually freeware. I think I will investigate the freeware options out there and keep you posted on anything interesting. Mytreo.net looks to be a must have on my favorite websites.
    Last edited by Frogmanx84; 07-09-2005 at 12:22 AM.

Check out ProfileCare.

Originally posted by Mogulman
    I currently am using some in Rom using a rom hack..but even before that I had enough for all of them with 9-10mb left...
    I've done a *lot* of customization of my 7135 ROM and flash using JackSprat and JackFlash. Are these still at the top of the list?

-Quick

Resident Curmudgeon
    Brayder (the maker of JackFlash and JackSprat) does not support the Treo 650

-PatP

Originally posted by PatP
    Brayder (the maker of JackFlash and JackSprat) does not support the Treo 650
    (it just gets worse and worse...)

What's this "rom hack"?

-Quick

I agree with Frogman.

Butler is an essential for all the great little features that you forget it is doing in the background, but which makes the 650 so much better.
    Release the Hounds!