+ Reply to Thread

Old Palm profile to new phone

Hey, all.

I have a Samsung i330 already set up on two computers. I just broke down and picked up a new Treo 650.

I just want to make sure I get everything transferred over correctly, so here's what I think I need to do. Please add corrections, if any...

1) Sync my i330 on both systems.

2) Set up the new Treo 650 and make sure to name the profile the same as it is on the i330.

3) Setup the computer's sync software to update everything (in the Outlook conduits) to the phone, rather than the default option to sync both ways.

4) Setup any other 3rd-party conduits to not do anything.

5) Sync the 650.

I hope that's it. After I sync it the first time, I should be able to install all the other software I use and enable the conduits.

Any feedback appreciated!!

(The main reason I use a PDA phone is for the contact info.)

Thanks.

-- Rob "I" --

Administrator
    NO! thats is a disaster waiting to happen...

what i would do is beam over PIM info from the phone (contacts, to do memos, things like that) and MANUALLY sync 3rd party programs to the phone. this will ensure you are not installing some files that are not compatible with your new phone.

if you do it your way you will most likely see problems come up.

this scenario has been posted many times. the safest way is they way i posted...

Thanks.

I ended up renaming the backup folder, hard-resetting the phone, re-installing the Palm software (on the desktop), and then re-syncing. Then I added the other stuff: configured the conduits and started re-installing the software. Took 4 hours.

Some software installed without errors, but didn't look right in the Treo.

-- Rob "I" --

Administrator
    yes renaming the backup also works! then you could cut and paste programs.

yeah it takes longer that way but you will have better usage with the device over time....

i clean out my ppc phone regularly.. it takes me nearly 8 hours or more to completely install and configure the phone. but it keeps is running lean and clutter free....

Just like you 'nixx!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator