+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: treo650-gps

treo650-gps

anyone using their treo 650 in their car with GPS?
    i just ordered NAVMAN any suggestions? ( im told i need a !gig memory stick for the maps!

Actually TomTom's "Navigator 2004 For GPS (T3) Palm works beautifully with the Treo 650. Many people have raved about it and I have one on the way to my home right now. Plus they are releasing a Treo 650 software update in a couple weeks. But even without that, it's really great.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=27&Language=4
    Last edited by Markito; 01-03-2005 at 02:04 PM.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I bought the Navman 4460, and it works pretty good with my Treo 650. I really like the software; I've only had two problems: I once got a "Memory Error: ME04", and sometimes if I go straight into the app after a soft reset, some of the graphics don't draw correctly. Otherwise it works great. You don't need a 1GB card--a 128MB is recommended, but I put all of Northern California on my card and it only takes about 60MB. I went with the Navman because the entire package (receiver, software, mounts, and USB memory card reader) are on Amazon.com for just $169!

Registered User drsmith&therobo's Avatar
    Okay, can someone explain to me what GPS features the 650 has? I mean, is it a GPS device (recieves from sattelites) like the stand-alone devices out there or does it have some cell-phone trajectory thing going on?

The built-in GPS function of the Treo is only for use by cell phone provider emergency services like 911, so they can locate you when you call. As far as I know, you can't use that GPS feature in any software.

The NavMan is an external GPS receiver that transmits your coordinates (via bluetooth) to the SmartST software you install on the Treo, which provides full GPS functionality (mapping, routining, voice-guidance, etc.) It does not use the internal GPS capabilities.

ok here is the deal
    the navman isnt supported- and the memory head is full will show up
    tom tom 2004 w/ update workes great! a bit difficult to install but it works great

You are partially correct on the Navman. NavMan SmartST is not supported on the Treo650 (hence the errors I have gotten). From Navman's response and others I've read about, it doesn't sound like it's a priority to them either.

However, the Navman 4460 GPS receiver is just a standard bluetooth receiver, so it should work with any GPS software you like. I've already used it with Mapopolis (who have a specific patch for the Treo650--you'll have to ask them for it), and it works great. Of course--it's another $100 to buy their software. Personally, I like the SmartST software better, so I'm living with the glitches--it's just some basic graphic issues (mostly partial or missing buttons), it doesn't seem to effect the navigation capabilities. Hopefully Navman will get around to the OS 5.4 support....

If you're not willing to live with glitches, I recommend something other than SmartST--at least until they come out with an upgrade.

Originally posted by Markito
    [B]Actually TomTom's "Navigator 2004 For GPS (T3) Palm works beautifully with the Treo 650. Many people have raved about it and I have one on the way to my home right now. Plus they are releasing a Treo 650 software update in a couple weeks. But even without that, it's really great.
    Snip
    Got a question about this. When you are driving down the road, using the GPS and the phone rings, what happens? Do you lose the GPS? What about with a BT headset? Any problems with it switching around? Can you take the call and jump back to GPS while talking in the phone?

If you jump out of the car going 60mph and roll, does it hurt? Does the car crash?

Ok scratch the last two. I am interested in the experience though.

Blaine

My Treo 650 has a checkbox entitled "Enable Location Privacy" which according to the Help file, when it is unchecked allows palm apps access to approximate GPS information that the phone receives automatically. Enabling this checkbox disables access to this info except by 911. So whoever said that Palm apps have no access seems to be wrong. Are there any map applications that can access this data?

650 <-> GPS via serial cable?

I already have a GPS receiver, albeit a wired model -- a Garmin GPS 35-PC TracPak.

So, if I get a serial cable from pcables.com, and if I install TomTom, will my 650 talk to the GPS receiver through the cable?

Or will I have to be the first to try this (and report back)?

Last edited by KevinAnLipscomb; 02-13-2005 at 11:22 AM.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    -- http://kal.webhop.net

Wil
    My Treo 650 has a checkbox entitled "Enable Location Privacy" which according to the Help file, when it is unchecked allows palm apps access to approximate GPS information that the phone receives automatically. Enabling this checkbox disables access to this info except by 911. So whoever said that Palm apps have no access seems to be wrong. Are there any map applications that can access this data?
    So far, I don't know of any palm application that accesses the internal GPS.

3D Software / VR Developer ferneau's Avatar
    Just a clarification... There is not an internal GPS in the 650. As far as I know, the triangulation capabilities reside on the Sprint network. Sprint can use this information for E-911. Now, Sprint can (at any time) turn on this information but the way it works is that the network can be enabled to send the "location information" to each phone.

If you look in the SDK you'll see that location is one of the message types that can be received from the phone.

In all of my testing last year, I never received one of these network/phone messages.

I know that some people have more current information but I believe this is still essentially correct.

My understanding is there is an A-GPS in the phone (assisted GPS) which, as you mentioned, needs the carrier's wireless network to function properly.

What's sad is that modern Smartphones have more than enough computing power to obtain a GPS fix if they had access to the pseudorange data from the onboard GPS receiver.

Unfortunately none of the smartphones actually allow such access. Apparently someone hacked one of the Motorola J2ME-based phones to obtain a locally computed GPS fix, they were actually able to obtain the pseudorange data somehow.

Wil
    Apparently someone hacked one of the Motorola J2ME-based phones to obtain a locally computed GPS fix, they were actually able to obtain the pseudorange data
    Do you know any details?

Check out my review of the Mapopolis NavCard on gpspassion.com. You can get coast to coast navigation on the Palm. It's really an amazing product.

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=136
    www.gpspassion.com

Originally posted by paulkbiba
    Check out my review of the Mapopolis NavCard on gpspassion.com. You can get coast to coast navigation on the Palm. It's really an amazing product.

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=136
    Very good review, paulkbiba!

However, I see two problems with using the Mapopolis Navcard for Palm on with a Treo 650. One, obviously, is that the Treo 650 is not officially supported yet. However, I expect this to change.

Second, and more important, is that most people I know with a Treo 650 are already using the SD card slot for additional stoarge space. With the new memory architecture of the Treo 650, most people consider an SD card for storage as vital. But with the Mapopolis Navcard for Palm, you must forego it.

I don't expect to get a Mapopolis Navcard for Palm for my Treo 650 but, thanks to the review, I just may get one for my wife's T5.

I'm having the same issues when I try to install SmartST on the Treo 650. When I click on "Install Application" I get the screen that the following files will be installed when I preform a HotSync next...SmartSt.prc,GPSLib.prc,MSIHelper.prc". However I don't get anything when I perform a HotSync. I'm doing this on Windows XP.
    I'm willing to live the glitches since SmartST is not supported for the 650, but I'm not even able to install it.

Question any new information on the internal gps

Originally posted by Marty
    My understanding is there is an A-GPS in the phone (assisted GPS) which, as you mentioned, needs the carrier's wireless network to function properly.
    Just got the verizon version, had the cingular version but...

I was looking through the manual trying to figure out what the location icon was and it said, "You can also choose whether your longitude and latitude position are available to the network and third-party applications at all times or only during an emergency call."

So has anyone found/written a third-party app yet?

Dave

I'll think of something later
    I am using the Holux Bluetooth GR-231 with Delorme's Street Atlas 2005 Handheld (2006 was just released). It works great although I am still learning it.