+ Reply to Thread

ex i500 user disappointed with the 650's sluggishness

I love the 650's functionality but I am very disapointed with the general sluggishness when switching to/from the phone app. The i500, for all its faults, was instantly available to use as a phone. You started typing in a number and that was it. I also liked that pressing talk automatically brought up the call log.
    With the 650, at its quickest it takes a second or two to bring up the phone interface. Sometimes it will take 5-10 seconds where it goes into a white screen before the phone comes up.
    Is this a problem with my phone or are others also experiencing this?
    It does not seem to be limited to just the phone app. Sometimes it seems to generally slow down bringing up other apps too, but that's rarer.
    I have tried it without an SD card inserted to see if that helps but I couldn't really see a difference

The phone app is slow. Maybe they will release a fix for it. It's pretty annoying sometimes. Some people have had very good results with overclocking the 650. The phone app is supposed to be faster and the DVD playback is unreal!

Otherwise, I find that it's very fast in general. You should try a 6600/6601 sometime. You'll think that your 650 has a Cray supercomputer inside of it.

Re: ex i500 user disappointed with the 650's sluggishness

Originally posted by razi
    I love the 650's functionality but I am very disapointed with the general sluggishness when switching to/from the phone app. The i500, for all its faults, was instantly available to use as a phone. You started typing in a number and that was it. I also liked that pressing talk automatically brought up the call log.
    With the 650, at its quickest it takes a second or two to bring up the phone interface. Sometimes it will take 5-10 seconds where it goes into a white screen before the phone comes up.
    Is this a problem with my phone or are others also experiencing this?
    It does not seem to be limited to just the phone app. Sometimes it seems to generally slow down bringing up other apps too, but that's rarer.
    I have tried it without an SD card inserted to see if that helps but I couldn't really see a difference
    Do a hard reset on your device and then try out the phone app. If the problem is still there, then it is a 650 problem. If the problem disappears, then it may be a 3rd party program you have installed is causing the delay.

I just switched to a 650 from a i500 and see much improvements in speed.

So do I, as far as running the apps themselves. My issues are with switching bewteen the phone app and other apps and the sluggishness of the phone app itself

I had an I-500 before I got the treo 600, and now 650.
    Certainly the 500 was faster and better as a pure phone, but it is no match for the 650 overall. The 650 is much better for email since it has a keyboard. The I-500 has no keyboard. For me it was very tough to type a long message. Also, the I-500 seemed to always have problems with the hotsync.

Just my 2 cents worth

"Certainly the 500 was faster and better as a pure phone"

That's exactly my point...the 650 is far,far superior as a pda, however it IS a phone and it would seem that perhaps with some software changes, it should be just as capable as an i500 for phone usage.

I'm just trying to gauge if the phone sluggishness is an issue with just my own 650 or if they all act the same.

Razi,
    At this point I don't think there is a fix or patch for this. My 650 does the same thing. As soon as I hit a favorite or number to dial, screen goes white for 2-3 seconds. Im scared everytime that its going into a soft reset lol.
    I do make a lot of calls a day and it does start to bother me after a while, especially when I'm in a hurry, but it's not the end of the world. It makes up for that problem with all of its other features.

I have the same issues with sluggishness on my 650 as well. I have noticed it helps if you have >5 MB of RAM free. Not sure if there is any correlation, but I have observed better response times.

In general, I think we are all in the same boat waiting for the patch to fix these issues.

Wil
    Has TREO or anyone indicated they're planning fix the issue of the phone being so slow?

According to this anyone notice it takes 5 secons sometimes for phone to dila a number????? thread it sometimes takes 5 seconds.

I'm about to go from the 6601 to the 650, so I'm sure I won't see any sluggishness. I love the 6601 but it's just too darn big.

Wil
    Is it that much bigger, when the keyboard isn't extended?

Originally posted by Wil
    Is it that much bigger, when the keyboard isn't extended?
    It's a bit bigger, but it's a little heavy as well. And as all Treo users like to point out, the 6601 is not as one-hand operational as the 600/650. It's a great mini computer, but it's biggest drwaback is its size IMO.

its a problem with all 650s. i have my 650 and experience the same problem. btw if u press the green button it will bring u into recent dial list and from there u can select the call list.

Looks like its the problem with the way the phone screen refreshes and it doesn't matter how much memory deivice has and what 3rd party apps you have installed. it needs to be fixed by Palmone.

alex

Treo beats I-500 in all other areas

I have to agree with the earlier post about the I-500 simply being just a better phone. I had the I-500 and it was nice and small, but the screen was too small. Although not as buggy and prone to the flashing screen of death as it's both its predecessors, the treo is the truest balance of phone and pda that I have experienced. I expect an all-in-one device to be a little sluggish with all it has going on. It does not make it right, it is just expected. Honestly, I paid 650 bucks for the 600 in August and I just spent 650 bucks on the 650 (funny how the price matches). For that kind of money it should also double as braun shaver and at least as a phaser set for stun. But, alas, that would mean that the bottom line would be customer satisfaction, who, in the business of making money would want that. The I-500 is a fantastic phone and I loved it, but it was limited by it's hard resets and older palm OS, which is the most inexcusable of them all. Plus, I loved the StarTac and the I-500 brought me back to the "look at the cook gadget on my hip" days. Trust me, give it some time and you will forget about the I-500, just like Samsung does with it's lack of techical support and upgrades.
    Do they test these things before they send them out?