+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kyocera 7135 vs Treo 600/650 ??

Hello fellow Converged Digerati....

Do any of you have "comparative" experience with these two
    popular PDA SmartPhones?

I currently own the Kyocera 7135, but have heard great things
    about the new Treo 600 and 650.

If any of you have had both, I would like to hear what you think.

Thanks

I've had all three. Putting aside form factor preferences (clamshell vs. candybar), the treo 600 is miles ahead of the 7135 and the 650 is a moderate/incremental improvement over the 600 (at least for my purposes).

Treo 650 way better than Kyocera 7135 for display and speed

I switched to the Treo 650 from the Kyocera 7135 (which I really liked by the way), and I have not looked back once.

The display is the biggest thing for me... it is far, far superior to the 7135's. I originally preferred Graffitti to the keyboard when I got the 7135, but eventually got tired of mistakes and now much prefer the keyboard.

Lastly, the 650 is much faster overall; I can play movies on it! And other than the annoying problem with it taking a second or two to start a call or switch to the phone app, everything else is much faster too.
    In a real emergency, we would have all fled in terror, and you would not have been notified.

I still have my 7135, and it continues to run quite well. But I thought that if something should happen, and I was told that the only replacement would be a 600/650, I should check it out.

The 600 keyboard is just too small for my thumbs, but suprizingly, the 650, while not great was ok. I was able to putt along, without too much issue, and I'm sure that it would get better if I had more time to become better on the keys.

I still prefer the clamshell, but if needed, I could use the 650. I guess that for me, I'm going to stay with the 7135 until it gives up. By then, if they make a version of "Act for PPC", I would switch and go to the i730.
    Mike

They both have good points. I love the clamshell design of the Kyocera -- functionally it feels the best to me. I think it is far superior as a phone to the Treo. I use mine when the Treo is in the shop.

The Treo is -- imo -- a better PDA than the Kyocera. It's got noticeably more speed and more capacity. It doesn't constantly reset like the Kyo.

My dream phone would be a Treo machine packed into a Kyocera design.

Barbara

Speaking of Ideal!

Seems that most of us agree that if a Treo was made into a clamshell form factor.... it would be a great hit!

Personally, I don't even care if it has to pack on a few ounces and/or size in order to achieve this. I just want a single device that DOES IT ALL!

P.S. -- I finally discovered "www.pdaportal.com" and many other
    great web links that accommodate the small screens of pdas and smartphones. Wow... now the device is starting to feel like a lot more than just an organizer + phone.

Thanks to all for feedback on my original question (7135 vs Treo)

Stratocirrus

7135 to 650, how has the switch gone?

I know every phone has it's issues, and reading posts from alot of the long timers here, I know that the 650 isn't perfect.

One issue that has me concerned is that I'm managing a large database on the 7135, and I wonder what problems I might be getting into switching to the 650, and its memory allocation issue.

Can anyone relate their experience?
    Mike

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar

IVE HAD ALL THREE

I loved my 7135. I have always strongly disliked bar phones and never saw a need for a keyboard but when i switched tot the treo 600 i was thrilled with the 5-way navigation and the speed of the proccessor and I got to realy like the qwerty keyboard. when i switched to the T650 I was amazed by the resolution. Viewing a picture was a joke on the T600 and ky7135. Its awesome doing everything one handed, no need for the stylus. the keyboard is designed very well, my mistype % is better than grafiti. ( no coments on the speling please).

7135 nice start: fuzzy screen, slow slow slow,

T600 great improvement : fuzzy screen but improved function

T650 Im totaly satisfied.

Ive used 16 megs on internal and 200 megs on my card. before i transfered the memory over to the T650 my T600 had 13 or 14 megs used on internal. And that equated to the same 13 or 14 megs on internal with the ky 7135.

I totally agree with every word that jamespaulritter just said.
    I LOVED my 7135, but I am HEAD OVER HEALS for my Treo 650!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    I totally agree with every word that jamespaulritter just said.
    I LOVED my 7135, but I am HEAD OVER HEALS for my Treo 650!
    That's great Mark I'm getting really anxious to get mine!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I tried the T600 for the 15-day trial period and HATED it. The biggest flaw was no analog signal. I had NEVER dropped a call on my 7135, then I made the (trial) switch and lost a dozen calls in the first 3 days of use. Analog is a big issue for where my travels take me. Verizon needs to do better with their digital signals, because I live in Danbury, CT (NYC Metro) and I should always have a signal here.

I'm sticking with the 7135 until digital gets better.

ya that is a problem

ya I never droped a call with my 7135 either. When I switched to the 800/1900 MHz treo 600 on verizon i got a dropped call every 3 or 4 days. I figured out which parts of town to never make a call from. Now with the treo 650 on sprint I havent had any dropped calls but I do keep it forwarded to the house phone when im home because sometimes it just dosent ring when someone calls. For me the ky wasent enough of a pda and the treo is'nt all phone. But I lean more towards the need for the pda.

So Memory isn't an issue??

So it seems like the memory loss is about 25%. Not great, but it's managable. I was in a local Verizon store this week, and they had the "Harrier" 6600. It was smaller than I expected, but when I tried the keyboard, it was more like a membrane keyboard than anything else. I think I liked the 650 keyboard better. The keys were still a little tight, but the shape of the top, and the travel on the 650 keyboard, was much better than on the 600.

I'm having a hard time understanding how Robert has gone this long without getting his hands on the 650!!!
    Mike

i did a side by side with the 2 keyboards

When I got my t650 and before I sold my t600 i did a type test a few times and about 20 words each time. I averaged 1/3 fewer mistypes with the t650 vs. the t600.

Re: So Memory isn't an issue??

Originally posted by Breeze_S
    I'm having a hard time understanding how Robert has gone this long without getting his hands on the 650!!!
    Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Re: Re: So Memory isn't an issue??

Originally posted by Markito
    Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol guys... me three!

Part of it is that, for the first time ever, the device that I'm replacing (Treo 600) is not well past its prime. That has never been the case in the past. The Treo 650 has some awesome enhancements, but the Treo 600 is still the 2nd best device available on the market

Plus, I'm getting my Treo 650 for $349 since I attended the "Treo Roadshow" PalmOne conference in DC back in November. There has been delay after delay since then, but my 650 is being shipped today! (I should get it by Wednesday). I could not really justify spending an extra $270 just to get it sooner. And I got myself a nice new camera a couple months ago, and that has kept me occupied
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I ordered one from the DC roadshow as well but couldnt wait so bought one at full price from Sprint. When the roadshow treo comes in next week, its going straight onto ebay...

Re: Re: Re: So Memory isn't an issue??

Originally posted by Robert K.
    lol guys... me three!

Part of it is that, for the first time ever, the device that I'm replacing (Treo 600) is not well past its prime. That has never been the case in the past. The Treo 650 has some awesome enhancements, but the Treo 600 is still the 2nd best device available on the market

Plus, I'm getting my Treo 650 for $349 since I attended the "Treo Roadshow" PalmOne conference in DC back in November. There has been delay after delay since then, but my 650 is being shipped today! (I should get it by Wednesday). I could not really justify spending an extra $270 just to get it sooner. And I got myself a nice new camera a couple months ago, and that has kept me occupied
    Me four!

Mr. Robert K. is almost in the exact same position I am in. Except that I still haven't heard that the Treo 650 I ordered from Vienna Channels has been shipped.

Ar least Robert K. can show off his new toy at the "Kyo Krazy" meeting next month while I'll still have my trusty old 7135.

650 v 7135

I'm a happy 7135 owner. Anybody want to take a crack at convincing me the 650 is better?