+ Reply to Thread

i cant live with a phone i am scared to use..i mean, im scared to use any aplications

i swear, i love this phones upgrades from the treo 600 but damn, i dont put anything on it since it crashes so often. i had so many hard resets and oss of info that i am just not putting anything onit to avoid any malfunctions. really stink that i cant feel free to do what i want like i did with the 600. i want to get rid of it, but ialso dont. nothing else beats it yet, unless i get the ppc 6600 that will have camera. it will take getting used to the change but i think i am done with palm.
    i would go back to 600 but i hated the screen and keyboard wasnt as good, also no bluetooth, etc etc
    what to do, i guess ill suffer till something good comes along

I just upgraded from a Tungsten C and ZLauncher was about the only application that caused me some issues in that it (v3.x) did not support the 5-way device.

Another app, Documents To Go did not work (the transferred version, not the version that comes with the 650).

Removed ZLauncher, updated Documents to Go and my system has been rocking for 3 days without issue.

I would find which application is causing your resets. Mine was easy as it happened after leaving the v3 of Docs to Go.

Good luck,

Thank you kindly,

Tony

Re: i cant live with a phone i am scared to use..i mean, im scared to use any aplications

Originally posted by MR29ROSE
    i swear, i love this phones upgrades from the treo 600 but damn, i dont put anything on it since it crashes so often. i had so many hard resets and oss of info that i am just not putting anything onit to avoid any malfunctions. really stink that i cant feel free to do what i want like i did with the 600. i want to get rid of it, but ialso dont. nothing else beats it yet, unless i get the ppc 6600 that will have camera. it will take getting used to the change but i think i am done with palm.
    i would go back to 600 but i hated the screen and keyboard wasnt as good, also no bluetooth, etc etc
    what to do, i guess ill suffer till something good comes along
    Did you do a clean install of all your applications or did you just sync over all your stuff from your Treo 600 in one or two hotsyncs? Things like contacts and datebook stuff are fine to sync over but you don't want any Treo 600 settings or files on your 650 as this can cause the phone to become very unstable.

If you haven't done so already, I would hard reset the Treo, beam over your contacts and datebook type stuff from the 600 to the 650, then install the apps you want one by one, checking after each one is installed that your 650 is still stable. You will, of course, have to temporarily give your 650 a new hotsync username (you can switch it back later).

i screwed it up the first time b/c i hotsynced the old i guess onto the new 650. so i went thru hell to fix it all. i had to hard reset and only synced the outlook etc. i went thru many steps and it works ok now. but i dont use anything on it b/c i cant afford to lose info again. i am waiting for a newer treo 6r50 version to hit stores and do a swap for it. i will than only sync the outlook again and thats it i guess. i want to be able to mess with any 3rd party apps that i want. and i definately need aol to release the newer aol for palm so it works with my 650.

Originally posted by MR29ROSE
    i screwed it up the first time b/c i hotsynced the old i guess onto the new 650. so i went thru hell to fix it all. i had to hard reset and only synced the outlook etc. i went thru many steps and it works ok now. but i dont use anything on it b/c i cant afford to lose info again. i am waiting for a newer treo 6r50 version to hit stores and do a swap for it. i will than only sync the outlook again and thats it i guess. i want to be able to mess with any 3rd party apps that i want. and i definately need aol to release the newer aol for palm so it works with my 650.
    This reasoning doesn't really make any sense to me and is definitely not allowing you to use your 650 to its full potential. You know what the problem was and you fixed it so now use the device as you normally would and install your 3rd party apps (most of which work great on the 650). I don't think the issues you were experiencing were due to flaws in your 650 but rather were due to user error and no updated 650 is going to fix that...

I agree with Marty. Use your phone. Sync often if you have to to keep your data safe but use the thing.

And I have some odd 3rd party apps and I have not had any issues to date.

Originally posted by Marty
    This reasoning doesn't really make any sense to me and is definitely not allowing you to use your 650 to its full potential. You know what the problem was and you fixed it so now use the device as you normally would and install your 3rd party apps (most of which work great on the 650). I don't think the issues you were experiencing were due to flaws in your 650 but rather were due to user error and no updated 650 is going to fix that...

Thank you kindly,

Tony

I screwed up mine too...

Seems like I installed several treo 600 apps onto my phone when I synced for the first time... lost a bunch of ringers, too.

I thought I had planned ahead for this by deleting the old palm desktop, guess I should have researched where the actual data files are kept.

OK. So how do I do a clean install of the Palm OS? I this something I *can* do?

Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and if anyone knows exactly where all those nasty data files reside under mac os 10.3+, I would appreciate that information as well.

Doesn't sprint tech support help with any of this ? I mean I haven't tried to use any of these applications you guys speak of and I am a novice. I never owned a PDA before and reading this makes me afraid that I will get into problems ones I start downloading some textbooks I have on a software I bought a while ago just as soon as I get the 1 GB SD card I ordered.

Re: I screwed up mine too...

Originally posted by jwilliams_jwsw

OK. So how do I do a clean install of the Palm OS? I this something I *can* do?

Help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Perform a hard reset (procedure described in the manual)
    Sync the 650 and when the software asks for a username, give your 650 a new one.
    Beam over all your contacts and datebook stuff from your old device to the 650.
    Sync.
    Now go into your old Palm Backup folder (I have no idea where this is located on a Mac) and you will see a list of all the apps you had on your previous device.
    Double-click on the ones you want to install on the 650. When you do this, a menu will pop up asking what username you want to install for, select the one you most recently created.
    Sync the 650.
    That's it, you're done.