+ Reply to Thread

HELP! Text messaging icon wont go away.

My icon won't go away. I have no text messages that are unread.

Started yesterday. I had a conversation with my brother. Then there was no record of a chat, even though you could see the messages I sent.

After his next message, the chat came back, but so did the icon.

Since then, I have soft reset, hard reset, reflashe to a custom ROM, and hard reset.

Nothing seems to work. I went into Files and looked to see if anything got loaded that needed to be deleted, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Any suggestion are appreciated. This isn't a deal breaker, and I don't plan to return the phone, but it is aggravating.

Thanks.

Corey

Administrator
    if you hard reset and did a restore, you could have put the problem back on the phone if there was a problem to begin with..

usually its a system thing and the system has to clear it... try and send yourself a VM or text message and try deleting it that way....

Okay... it's fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion (that wasn't what fixed it). I had tried that to no avail.

After about 5 hard resets and uncounted soft resets, the problem is fixed.

Not that anyone asked, but I used BackupBuddy to back up my unit and then did a hard reset. I then restored everything except for the stuff that mentioned SMS. Didn't work.

2nd hard reset, I restored in reverse, items 151 - 160 and so on. Stupidly, I told the program to overwrite everything that said a new version was on the 650. Didn't work.

3rd hard reset, same procedur, but allowed the "new" versions to stay. Success!! But wait. Now VersaMail causes a soft reset when selected.

4th hard reset. Same procedure, but didn't restore VersMail items. Looked like it worked, but since I left out a network setting, VersaMail wouldn't connect and neither would vision.

5th hard reset. Same procedure, but learning from my mistakes, and... icon is gone, VM works, Vision works. Everything fine.

Now I just need to clean my desktop and let the handheld overwrite the desktop to make sure all is good.

(Oh yeah... I did a new complete back up in case I hose it again.)

Corey
    Loving his 650 (now more than ever)

Administrator
    so it was a program causing the trouble then? it could have only been that or the carrier you use coudl have had a glitch....

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar

I had the same problem

I tried half the stuff you did but couldnt get rid of the message icon even though i didnt have a message. Finaly i found the correct "messages" pdb with a file manager and deleted it. That solved the problem.