+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-03-2003
    Location
    Kennewick, WA
    Posts
    51

    Setting up Internet on Treo 650

    I finally got my Treo 650 today, the first day I was eligible for the $150 rebate on a phone upgrade. Setup has not gone smoothly. The Palm installer wanted to install all of the stuff I had on my old SPH-i500, and it took a couple of hours of wrangling to get the old unwanted stuff to stay out.

    My question has to do with setting up the internet connection for web browsing and e-mail retrieval. I have set up both Brazer and Versamail, but I can't get either one to connect to the Internet. I suspect that there is some arcane setting that I am missing to enable this. I was able to do both from my i500, and I have the same service options I had before, so that shouldn't be the problem. I have good signal strength and the phone functions appear to work fine. I did a forum search and couldn't find anything about this listed. Anyone got any ideas?
    Tim Dees

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-20-2001
    Location
    DC/Baltimore
    Posts
    3,407
    Has the phone been Vision "provisioned" ? This is necessary for all Sprint phones before they can have any sort of data access. Sometimes this can take up to 24 hours from when you first activate the phone.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-03-2003
    Location
    Kennewick, WA
    Posts
    51
    I called Sprint tech support tonight and went through several reset sequences with the tech. She eventually advised me to go to a Sprint Store and have the Treo hardware tested. She said that the phone appears to have been fully provisioned, but she can't figure out what the problem might be. I'll report back after I visit the Sprint Store. I'm going to have to go to one other than the "Express" store where I purchased it, as those folks were technically clueless.
    Tim Dees

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-03-2003
    Location
    Kennewick, WA
    Posts
    51

    Unhappy Problem Solved?

    As Sprint Tech Support suggested, I took the Treo 650 to the regular Sprint Store in my town (that appears to be run by a "network partner" called Alamosa http://www.alamosapcs.com/). The store where I purchased the Treo is an "Express" store (run by an outfit called "Clearly Wireless," and staffed by technically clueless people that want only to make a sale and have no idea how anything works). The sales rep at the Alamosa Sprint Store fiddled with the device for a while, called Vision Tech Support, and concluded that the device was defective. He said he couldn't take it back there. Instead, I would have to return it to the store where I bought it, get a refund, and then I could come back to his store and buy a new one, which he had in stock (the other store ordered this one for me). I wasn't too happy with this prospect, as this would mean investing the better part of a day in this project for SOMETHING THAT SHOULD HAVE WORKED THE FIRST TIME, but so be it.

    I took the Treo home and did a hard reset to wipe out the personal data and programs I had installed. Just out of curiosity, I then tested to see if I had Vision connectivity. Yes! The phone immediately "phoned home" to get provisioned for Vision, and the web browser started pullling down pages right away.

    I conclude that the problem was with a third party software application that was transferred to the new Treo from the old i500. I started over, this time with a new user name/profile, and installed my critical applications one by one, testing for Vision connectivity each time. The phone still worked after I had all of the critical stuff installed.

    The bad news: I don't know which was the offending program. The good news: I now have a functioning Treo 650!
    Tim Dees

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-05-2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1
    Had the same problem myself....and solved it the same way myself, by hard reset, create new user profile.
    I isolated the problem the snappermail configurations from my i500 profile.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts