+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Well, I'm finally in the club!!!

I finally received my Treo 650 on Wednesday... after an agonizing 2 month wait. Although it seems like I have developed some patience... thanks to all of the waiting I have done over the years (the 7135 for instance).

A few brief observations for now (I have to leave work in a sec!)... and then more later!

I just finished charging up my spare battery now... it's very cool that it has a user replacable battery

The screen is soooo amazingly crisp and bright... that alone would've been enough to make me upgrade

The tactile file of the new keyboard design is much improved over the Treo 600, IMHO.

The backlighting on the keyboard is unbelievably bright! I took a really cool picture of my Treo in the dark (link is in my sig).

I'm loving the bluetooth... I just need to get used to the headset taking over when I answer the phone and forget to answer it with the headset. I'm a bluetooth newbie... but it's sweet!

Ok... I have to run for now
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Cool pic of your Treo in dark Rob. Questions. Is this a CDMA one with sprint ? Or is it a GSM one ? What is VeriChat icon on your Treo ? I don't believe mine has that icon. I have the sprint one.

Originally posted by OCTREO
    Cool pic of your Treo in dark Rob. Questions. Is this a CDMA one with sprint ? Or is it a GSM one ? What is VeriChat icon on your Treo ? I don't believe mine has that icon. I have the sprint one.
    Thanks OCTREO! Yes, mine is with Sprint. VeriChat is an instant messaging app that combines AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ... you can read more at http://www.pdaapps.com

Robert,

Don't forget to check out www.shadowmite.com.

He has a lot of custom ROMs and patches that remove things like Real Player and Business Connection and add things like DUN and the sound patch.

Originally posted by Marty
    Robert,

Don't forget to check out www.shadowmite.com.

He has a lot of custom ROMs and patches that remove things like Real Player and Business Connection and add things like DUN and the sound patch.
    Thanks Marty! Will that give me some additional usable RAM?

Congrats, Robert! The screen is definitely beautiful. Makes watching movies and playing NesEm games sooo much fun!

So what bluetooth headset are you using? And how are you liking it? I'm still debating which one to get. I had the Jabra BT250, but the static and connection latency was killing me. So now I'm debating between the Scala 500, SE HBH-660, and the Jabra BT800.

Anyways, enjoy!!

Fully Undaunted
    And still we VZW customers wait, I'm happy for you Robert, enjoy your new "toy", please share with us your feelings after a couple of days "play". I see from your picture you have an app called "My Bible" on your phone. Can you drop some info on it, like your opinion of it, and if it has the King James version? I used the "PDA Bible" on a card with all 4 of my 7135's. I have now given up on that phone and moved on, only thing close to it at VZW was the Treo 600. I like the phone, however the lack of clamshell design forces me to carry it in a case. Everytime I open/close the case the card pops out!!! So now I dont use the card, I really want to have a Bible with me all the time, give me your opinion IF you can pull yourself away from your phone long enough to reply. ENJOY
    Last edited by Wolfee; 02-05-2005 at 12:13 AM.
    Oh... what a tangled web we weave!!

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Thanks Marty! Will that give me some additional usable RAM?
    Definitely!

Originally posted by TR30
    Congrats, Robert! The screen is definitely beautiful. Makes watching movies and playing NesEm games sooo much fun!

So what bluetooth headset are you using? And how are you liking it? I'm still debating which one to get. I had the Jabra BT250, but the static and connection latency was killing me. So now I'm debating between the Scala 500, SE HBH-660, and the Jabra BT800.

Anyways, enjoy!!
    Thanks TR30 I am using the Cardo Scala 500, and I have been very happy with it! I have never had a BT headset before though, so I don't have much to base that on

Originally posted by Wolfee
    And still we VZW customers wait, I'm happy for you Robert, enjoy your new "toy", please share with us your feelings after a couple of days "play". I see from your picture you have an app called "My Bible" on your phone. Can you drop some info on it, like your opinion of it, and if it has the King James version? I used the "PDA Bible" on a card with all 4 of my 7135's. I have now given up on that phone and moved on, only thing close to it at VZW was the Treo 600. I like the phone, however the lack of clamshell design forces me to carry it in a case. Everytime I open/close the case the card pops out!!! So now I dont use the card, I really want to have a Bible with me all the time, give me your opinion IF you can pull yourself away from your phone long enough to reply. ENJOY
    Wolfee, all of the major translations are available (KJV is even free, last I checked). The reason I use MyBible is that it is fully optimized for the Treo 5-way navigation... it is almost entirely stylus-free (except for changing translations). And it does a great job of taking advantage of the hi-res screen... giving you font options that go down to pretty much microscopic

You can get a free trial at http://www.laridian.com

Definitely!
    That's great news Marty... I will check this out for sure... thanks! How much RAM have you been able to free up?

That's great news Marty... I will check this out for sure... thanks! How much RAM have you been able to free up?
    I don't remember how much RAM I was able to free up but I remember thinking it was a decent amount (worth the trouble). Something else that will free up a lot of RAM (4 megs!) is the Dataviz tech tool, which allows you to move just about all of the Docs to go program onto the SD card. See if you can find it on the dataviz.com site and if you have trouble, just email me and I'll send it to you. I've also found that having at least 8-9 megs free RAM makes the device significantly more stable (fewer soft resets) than when I had 5-6 free megs so something to keep in mind. Of course, YMMV.

Robert, we should talk today. I'd love to chat about your 650.
    Maybe I'll try to call you later today.
    Congrats!!!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Congrats Robert. I haven't decided whether I'll upgrade to the Treo 650, or just wait until the next Treo is released.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Originally posted by Markito
    Robert, we should talk today. I'd love to chat about your 650.
    Maybe I'll try to call you later today.
    Congrats!!!
    Call anytime Mark Or let me know when a good time to call you is

Originally posted by alex_mathews
    Congrats Robert. I haven't decided whether I'll upgrade to the Treo 650, or just wait until the next Treo is released.
    Thanks Alex! Are you hesitant because of the memory issues, or is there just not enough enhancements for you? Have you held a 650 and looked at the hi-res screen? It's amazing

I don't remember how much RAM I was able to free up but I remember thinking it was a decent amount (worth the trouble). Something else that will free up a lot of RAM (4 megs!) is the Dataviz tech tool, which allows you to move just about all of the Docs to go program onto the SD card. See if you can find it on the dataviz.com site and if you have trouble, just email me and I'll send it to you. I've also found that having at least 8-9 megs free RAM makes the device significantly more stable (fewer soft resets) than when I had 5-6 free megs so something to keep in mind. Of course, YMMV.
    Marty, thanks for these tips... during the course of moving DTG around, I found out that the 650 came with the full DTG Pro, which I was planning to buy soon (I figured it just came with a trial version). I got all of DTG moved to my card, and now I'm cruising along at over 5MB free. Next I'll work on trying some ROM modifications

Congrats, Robert. I took a peek at the 650 during CES and definitely felt like my 600 was in dire need of replacement. The memory issue, though, has me a tad concerned at this point. 'Course I'm stuck in Verizonland, which doesn't leave me the easiest of options.

Kewlness
    I got my 650 about 2 months ago, and haven't had any problems until just this week, they are posted in a different thread named "Sound Problem"
    I think the main ROM may have to be flashed. Cuz hard resets are not working.

But I love the 650, I use Bluetooth HS810 and it is awesome.
    Also use the Treo Voice Recognition software that is on the CD.
    It works well, and I have over 500 names in my Outlook Address Book. It's not so hot with foreign names, I'd say it works 8 out of 10 times, which aint bad!

I also run ACT on it which is nice, and there's a patch for ACT which can auto dial contacts in the list.

Games are fun, MP3 works pretty well, and the 1 GB SANDISK works, I saw it on my buddies, about $40-$50 on E-bay new.

Have fun with it!
    <a href="http://www.technicalblog.com"><font color="#000000">Visit my site
    for any techie questions, Technical Blog!</font></a><font color="#00FF00">&nbsp;</font>

Thanks Alex! Are you hesitant because of the memory issues, or is there just not enough enhancements for you? Have you held a 650 and looked at the hi-res screen? It's amazing
    Cost plus the memory issue hold me back. I have yet to see one in person, so the screen just might make me change my mind. I'd like Bluetooth as well, but we shall see.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)