+ Reply to Thread

7135 to treo 650...wanted an i550...

Any other 7135'ers that were holding out for the Samsung i550, only to have your hopes dashed?

My Kyo will be 2 yrs old in August...and she is showing her age. I would have switched to Sprint for the i500 but there was no media slot for backup. So I've been waiting, waiting, waiting...and now the rumor mill says that the i550 will not be picked up by any carrier.

I've heard nice things about the Treo 650 but really wanted the Samsung clamshell form...plus I'm great with Graffiti and see the Treo thumboard as a waste of space. I've been a PalmOS user since 1997.

Please, please, are there any others out there in the same boat who went to the 650 and were pleased? I'd love to hear from you as I want to feel good about making the move to the 650...doesn't seem like there are other viable PalmOS options....and don't get me started on the i600!

Grace and peace,
    Vern

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    I was forced to the treo. I loved my 7135 but I had horrible luck with them. I read the I 550 posts, and googled i 550 searches everyday. I gave up a long time ago when my 3rd ky died and verizons said my only palm choice was to take a free treo 600. I didnt see any use for the keyboard and had always preached the benifits of clamshell design and the problems with bar phones. I thought the treo was a funy looking brick that would look stupid clipped on my hip. 3 weeks after using the treo I was feeling the pull to the treo side. I loved the 5 way over the stylus. And it was so much easier to type instead of using graffiti. But I had been using graffiti fo only a year. The best thing of all was the speed of the processer. I had programs that I couldnt even use with my ky because the processer was to slow. I still give up try to find alternate symbols, it was easy to just make the symbol on the ky silk screen. Now I use fat finger for alternate symbols. The reception is not as good with the treo since it dosent pick up the all the same signals as other phones do. But I have gotten realy fast with the thumbs on the keyboard, I mess with it quite a bit while driving so its awsome being able to do everything one handed. I actual lost my fear of always having the screen unprotected vs. clamshell style and thinking that a call may accidentaly be in progress. I actualy felt relief not having to open and close my phone every time i wanted to use it. Now that I have swithched to Sprint after 10 years with Verizons lack of device options I am using the treo 650 and fell like I started with the ky as the DOS OS , moved to treo 600 as the windows 95 OS and am now working with windows longhorn OS as the treo 650 . I know thats silly. When the next generation of clamshells do come out I would not have as difficult a time switching back. But I would still have to weigh pros and cons, apprehensivly hesitate and give up things I like. I guess it will always be that way. But when the next generation of clamshell phones come out my wife will be the proud owner of a slightly used treo 650.
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 02-08-2005 at 12:19 PM.

I was in a similar position. I had a Kyocera 6035 and was waiting for the Samsung i550 also. Upon realizing that either the i550 was never going to come out and if it did, it was already behind, I decided to purchase the Treo 650. I've only played with them for a little bit and have only owned mine for a while, but so far so good.

It seems as if the clam shell design has gone away for a while. Hopefully we will see some new ones soon.

thanks!

Great food for thought!

Now the situation is becoming more urgent. My 7135 screen has been blanking out and the phone has been hard-resetting itself a couple times a week (thank goodness for BackupBuddy VFS...no data lost!)...but it's decision time.

Verizon isn't offering the 650 yet, just the 600. I wonder if I can get them to replace my 7135 with a 600? It would at least give me a taste of life with a Treo. Rumor mill has it that the 650 will be coming to VZW in May, so by then I can decide whether to plunk down for an upgrade or wait a bit and switch to the GSM version. I wish I could find a used 600 for cheap...

Grace and peace,
    Vern

Re: thanks!

Originally posted by verngator
    I wish I could find a used 600 for cheap...
    ebay...

ebay...

They aren't so cheap yet on ebay : )

I've yet to find a Verizon-compatible 600 for anything close to a decent deal.

I know, I know..."buyer beware", but one seller is auctioning off an information sheet that will supposedly get you a Treo 600 or 650 for $40...sounds like a scam and I almost fell for it. Do a search for "Completed Listings" and seller "esop23"...take a look at all the deals for 600's and 650's. If those auctions are valid, he is making a lot of money with this "informational document".

Last edited by verngator; 02-23-2005 at 02:58 PM.