+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I feel like I wanna get rid of my Treo 650

I bought my Treo 650 about a month ago from Sprint store. I really don't know what the big deal is about this phone. (May be it's because I can't use 90 % of it's applications, lol) But anyhow, I now want a phone and a PDA seperately 'cuz I got my eyes on T5. I will have to eat $150 early termination fee but I am ready to do it. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by OCTREO; 02-24-2005 at 07:05 PM.

If you can't use 90% of the features of the Treo Why oh Why do you want a T5??
    Why and early Termination fee, you are still gonna have a phone???
    Maybe these types of electronic device are too much for you.

Because i need the pda side of this phone more than the phone side and the mempry om 650 feels up rapidly.

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    Why cant you use 90% of the apps, because of stability? And im with g.711 if not stability then how is the t5 different? I dont know any thing about the t5, come on OC we want the whole story of why your abandoning us

Im just curious whats on your internal that cant be moved to the card?
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 02-24-2005 at 07:54 PM.

OK James,

A) I am tired of people on the other end constantly complaining that they can't hear well. And Marty tells me I need some kind of patch but sprint doesn't offer it yet. So I have to hack it but I don't know how.

B) I am an MD so I need a bunch of books/guides/manuals/radiology diagnostic stuff(needless to say it has a bunch of pics) and all of that takes up a lot of memory. Why did I buy Treo knowing that it only has 23 MB of memory, you ask ? Well I thought I could move all the programs to the card. So I bought a 1 GB card and the programs that I have installed so far refuse to move to the card. This is the one I have on my 650 http://www2.epocrates.com/products/rx/ There is one another program on it. Plus I bought 2/3 softwares ahead of time before I even got the Treo that would be very useful in my practice. But with only 8 MB left on Treo, I don't know if I will be able to make it.

I think I am just frustrated about the above 2 reasons. I have a feeling I am gonna end up keeping this phone *and* getting a T5 or something. T5 also has a larger screen which makes it more attractive to me.

Anyhow, thanks for listening, lol. Aren't you a doc also James ? For some reason I got that from one of your posts.
    Last edited by OCTREO; 02-24-2005 at 11:19 PM.

Ya im in cardiology my self and have numerous drug books med dictionaries you name it but not epocrates because since its a freebe they dont mess with making it card compatable. I downloaded it once but deleted it when I realized this. I have a pdr that takes up 80 meg but only 160 k on internal. And with the hearing problem it must be a fluke. I would trade it in for a new one.
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 02-24-2005 at 11:23 PM.

OK the other one is ABX guide from John Hopkins. May be you should check it out James. I haven't tried to move it. But from reading your post above, may be this one can be moved. However, it's a freebie also. So who knows. I will give it a try.

The other ones I have are the ones I bought last year when I went to CME conf. So may be those can be moved to the card. If that's the case, then I am a happy man. Thanks bud.

Not sure if this was the right one but at the bottom of this page it says its card compatible http://hopkins-abxguide.org/show_pag...ontent.html#26

Bingo. That's the one. Yup I just moved it to memory card. Thanks. How do I check my free memory again ?

From home screen go, menu, info, the top will have the drop down for phone or card and below that free space.

Got it. 8.8 MB free. Not a lot, eh ?

Thanks.

BTW, aren't nocturnal James ? I am glad though, lol.

I usualy only have 5 megs free on mine. A bigger screen would be nice. The first phone to come out treo size but with silk screen keys instead of hard keys is the day my wife will inherit a slightly used treo 650. Good night

Ya flipping through pdaphone home is my R and R at the end of the night.

I wish handspring would adopt this design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I feel like I wanna get rid of my Treo 650-sony.jpg  

wow look at the screen size on that one. And I bet keyboard is much better.

Maybe they were already on the right track with the i330
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I feel like I wanna get rid of my Treo 650-samsung%2520sph-i330%5B1%5D.jpg  

They coud take away the keyboard, I use an on screen keyboard called fat finger often because it difficult to hold the phone by such a small part of the bottom of the phone to type. With fat finger you can hold the phone securely while you type.
    Attached Images  

If you are having problems with not having enough memory, you can move most programs to the memory card with "zlauncher". Using the program, you can set it up so that whatever apps you choose will reside on the memory card and then they will be transferred to the internal RAM whenever you run them and then be removed from RAM once you are done with them. This way, apps that you aren't currently using won't take up memory on the 650.

I had'nt herd of this before. It sounds to good to be true. Tell us more!

1) So when you download a program does it by default go to the card?

2) Do you launch the app from the card or is there a shortcut on the internal?

3) Do you have to tell zlauncher to "put it back on the card, Im done with it now"or does it do it automatically?

4) If not are there any extra steps at all when you begin using a program or when your finished?

5) Is zlauncher a launcher and filemanager and backup manager?

6) Have you run into or know of any one having problems with zlauncher?

7) If you have programs that need to be internal for sync with desktop such as splasy money will it allow sync from card or does it pulll it to internal for sync?

I myself have alot of programs but have chosen to go with programs that all use the same readers. My Pocketlingo reader tokes only 300 k internal but uses 30 meg on 6 different databases on my card http://pocketlingo.com/home/index.asp
    Skyscrape which is awesome for all things medical uses 5 databases http://www.skyscape.com/index/home.aspx
    Town compass reader uses a tiny 160 k but 3 data bases of over 100 meg on card http://www.pocketdirectory.com/software/categories.aspx
    If i need a new reference book/database i always choose one that uses one of the readers i already have, never adding to my internal memory. I havent even botherd moving half my apps to the card because I just havent needed the space.

We may be learning of zlauncher to late, surely the next gen of devices will all have min 64 meg internal.

Sorry, I thought everyone knew about zlauncher, its been around since at least the Treo 600 and was pointed out as a workaround to the 650's memory problems almost as soon as the Sprint 650 was launched. You can find a huge thread discussing it here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...er+working+650

The homepage is here where you can also read the manual that will answer all your questions:

www.zztechs.com

1. The way I install programs are first to the internal memory and then, if I want to, I move them to the card using zlauncher

2. once you use zlauncher to move the program to the card, you can opt to place a shortcut to the program in any of the categories pages in your launcher, you don't have to start the program from the "card" category.

3. once you exit the app you were using, zlauncher will automatically move the program back to the card and delete it from the internal RAM

6. see the links I posted above. many programs are compatible with zlauncher but not all.

7. as far as syncing goes, i keep anything that needs to be constantly synced in internal RAM (like Beyond Contacts) as well as those that need to be called up in an instant like lightwav/Pocket-tunes such as when a phone call comes in to play the appropriate ringer. I do not know how programs like these would behave if I moved them to the card and I have no desire to find out. When launching a program that is stored on the card, there is anywhere from a 1-8 second delay depending on how big the program is and thus how much needs to be written to RAM. The programs I prefer to move to the card are ones like AIM, Madden NFL2k5, MMPlayer, etc, basically non-PIM programs that have databases that rarely, if ever, need to be updated.