+ Reply to Thread

Wink Let's nitpick a little...

I love my Treo 650. I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I look at the gorgeous screen... and when I see the brightness of the keyboard... and when I hear the little crackle of my BT headset taking over when I initiate a call. It is an awesome device... arguably the finest pdaphone available today.

BUT... that doesn't mean it's perfect! Here are a few of the minor (and I mean minor... this isn't a rehash of the memory issues or random resets, etc) gripes I have:

- I don't like the new palmOne sync/charger connections at all. Especially when I'm only pluggingin the charger (it's kind of flimsy, and 2 out of my 3 chargers fit pretty loosely since a little piece of metal broke off from getting stuck in the 650). I liked the 600's connector better. Anybody have any idea what benefits there are (if any) to the current connector? (other than for palmOne to standardize with the T5)

- In the camera app there is no longer a menu shortcut for "upload" or "select all". I used to take a lot of pictures with my Treo 600, hit menu "S", and menu "U", and I was in business. Now I have to do a lot of scrolling to upload an individual picture, and a "select all" and "upload" is several more steps than it used to be. Is there a keyboard shortcut I'm missing? (like the "delete" function can be initiated with the backspace, or items can be unslected with the space bar, etc.) (Note: overall the camera interface and the camera itself are a huge improvement over the Treo 600... I just don't understand why they removed easy to use functions that were already there)

Hmmm... off the top of my head those are the only things I can knock about the Treo 650!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: Let's nitpick a little...

Originally posted by Robert K.

- I don't like the new palmOne sync/charger connections at all. Especially when I'm only pluggingin the charger (it's kind of flimsy, and 2 out of my 3 chargers fit pretty loosely since a little piece of metal broke off from getting stuck in the 650). I liked the 600's connector better. Anybody have any idea what benefits there are (if any) to the current connector? (other than for palmOne to standardize with the T5)
    This is one of my main gripes with the 650 as well. The connector on it just doesn't cut it and I think is a step backwards from the one on the 600. I'm hoping the cradle will help to alleviate this problem a little (if it ever gets released). As far as the benefits of switching the connector, I specifically asked Greg Shirai this at the DC Road Show and the only thing he brought up was what you had already mentioned, standardization with the T5, didn't mention any other benefts.

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    My computer all of a sudden was saying "usb not recognized". I thought a 3rd party app was interfering. I deleted, reset, sifted for unneeded apps, I uninstalled palm desktop. 2 weeks of headaches. Turns out the cheap flimsy connecter was bent. Ive since rebent it a dozen times with a papercli to get it to work

I don't have an IR on my tower. What kind of specifics on an IR would solve our problem. I noticed they are all alittle different, maybey just speed differences. Heres a cheap one. http://www.compusb.com/u2usbtoirina.html
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 03-02-2005 at 08:56 PM.