+ Reply to Thread

Why Kinoma And not Media Player

All - can someone give me a decent reason as to why use Kinoma 3EX over the built in Treo 650 media player? As far as I can tell they both play the same media types, except for the ability to stream from the web. Streaming from the web in kinoma is not a big advantage considering download speeds and the lack of content making this a moot point. Furthermore the Palm desktop already does the formating for optimal video on the Treo 650. This includes conversion of unsupported videos formats. Kinoma requires the use of Kinoma Producer adding further expense.

Why Kinoma?

There are several reasons. First, Kinoma Player 3 ex adds new media decoders to your Treo. You can't decode ISO MPEG-4 or AAC without it. The files you get with the built in player have a different file wrapper, and you are limited by that. You can find examples of the kinds of files Kinoma can decode at the Apple trailers, and Cinequest online. This player also makes it possible to play many kinds of QuickTime files if that is of any interest. Currently the Treo 650 can't play .3GP movies, and Kinoma Player 3 EX fixes that too, although it can't play all the variations that are possible. The version of MPEG-4 can be played by Kinoma can be created with dozens of desktop programs including FinalCut, QuickTime Player Pro, several of Ulead's video editors and Kinoma's producer too. You can use many free compressors in the market including Handbrake, if you want.

You can also play unprotected audio compressed in AAC with the .M4a format. This adds a lot of good quality audio to your options. This is commonly created with the free version of iTunes from Apple. Last and not least, when you get a killer video file on your Treo, the playback quality is far, far better than the product that comes built in with the T650. You can zoom up undersized video and pictures without a perfomance hit. Also try opening a VR panorama. There is no other product that allows that to work on a Palm. The Windows version of Kinoma Producer can now open VOB files, so if you have unprotected MPEG-2 video, it can take it right from the disc, but as I said before, if you are a bit technical, you don't need the Kinoma encoding product.

Not sure where you received your info for the Treo 650 but below is a list of file formats that can be decoded by the Treo 650.

Device DECODE format support
    Video: MPEG-4
    Audio: IMA-ADPCM
    File Wrapper: ASF

Video: H.263
    Audio: AMR
    File Wrapper: 3GP

Video: MJPEG
    Audio: IMA-ADPCM
    File Wrapper: AVI

Video: MPEG-1
    Audio: MP2
    File Wrapper: MPG

These can be done without any conversion program. I only use the palm desktop to resize the video automatically for me. I have no need for ACC (.M4a) and itunes only support direct download of playlists with ipod. As for quality the only difference I noticed is in the ability to zoom into video without major performance hit and slightly better audio. Furthermore for the file formats not listed above the desktop will convert the file if you have quicktime and windows media player installed on your computer. So I only see a few advantages and one major disadvantage. Your advantaages are streaming from URL, VOB, AAC files and VR Panorama. You disadvantage is an extra $55.00 expense which would not be necessary unless you need the above features.