+ Reply to Thread

Question Treo 650 on Cingular bluetooth EDGE ObEx tether help! :)

Hello y'all,

I'd like to verify some information regarding the Treo 650, GSM version, when used with Cingular:

EDGE (someone please confirm)
    --Is the Treo 650 class 6 or class 10 EDGE?
    --If the above is correct, do people actually see an advantage of a class 10 device over a class 6 in real life?

Bluetooth
    --will it allow me to tether with my notebook via BT and used as a DUN modem?
    --will it allow me to push the phone book to my BMW's BT module (via OBEX) so I can dial using the car's controls?
    --I know some things are crippled in the CDMA version, how about GSM?

Has anyone used this phone in the ways I've described above? What are your expereiences and observed data througput?

Many thanks folks!!
    JAMES.

There are two GSM versions available, Cingular's (locked) and a version you can buy directly from PalmOne for $700 (unlocked). The unlocked from P1 has DUN enabled while the Cingular version has DUN crippled. However, there is a patch available from www.shadowmite.com that will uncripple the BT DUN on the Cingular version.

Many thanks for your response. If I buy a calling plan with the phone from Palm 1, will the phone still be unlocked? Or, do I have to buy the phone outright and try to activate later?

Thanks!
    JAMES.

It depends on which version you buy. If you buy the unlocked phone for $700 from PalmOne, no calling plan required. You will be on your own to pick a service provider and calling plan of your choosing (which will involve walking into a Cingular or T-Mobile store, choosing a plan, and inserting the SIM card, very easy). If you choose to buy the subsidized Cingular version from PalmOne, you will be required to pick a calling plan and sign a contract.

I spoke with Palm One yesterday, and was told that if I chose one of the "subsidized" version, it will be the provider's phone, therefore locked.

It appears that the only way to get an unlocked phone is to buy the $700 version, with no plans.

Aside from DUN being locked, are you aware of anything else that is crippled with the Cingular/GSM vesion?

Thanks again!
    JAMES.
    ----------Current Devices-----------
    Nextel: Motorola i95CL, i870, i930
    Sprint: Sony Ericsson T608, AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA

Yes, this is exactly what I told you in my first post. We need to get our terms straight here. When you say "Cingular/GSM version" that is referring to TWO different versions of the 650. There is the Cingular-branded version (which uses GSM) and that is LOCKED and has DUN DISABLED (which can be re-enabled with the hack I mentioned in my first post). Then there is also the generic PalmOne GSM 650 version for $700, which is UNLOCKED and has DUN ENABLED out of the box. If you go with the unlocked $700 GSM 650, getting a plan is as easy as walking into a Cingular or T-Mobile store, picking a plan, then inserting a SIM card into the phone.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was differentiating between the GSM and CDMA versions.

When I wrote "Cingular/GSM", I was referrring specifically to Cingluar's branded 650, since it IS a GSM phone (as opposed to CDMA).

Clearly, there exists the unlocked GSM version and its capability to acquire service w/ Cingular or T-mobile is self-evident.

My question remains, does the Cingular, locked version, have anything else besides DUN crippled, such as OBEX, OPP, GOEP?

I ask because it seems that DUN can be hacked, but if there are other features locked, it may be worth it to buy the unlocked version.

Thanks,
    JAMES.