+ Reply to Thread

Treo Memory questions

Hello,

Thinking of leaving Verizon and my Samsung i600 for Sprint and the Treo 650. I have some questions I need clarification on. Mostly on memory/lack of, zlauncher, sd cards and resets. I'm new to the forum and know that some of these subjects are beaten to death but I had a Kyocera 7135 and know how annoying resets are.

1. Read that someone freed up memory (pretty much out of the box) to reduce resets. What can I get rid of? How can I do this?

2. Say I buy golf game or a map program from a store and it comes in the form of a sd card. Can I get it on to my sdcard so it's not on the phone at all and I don't need the store bought program/card? Will zlauncher help with this?

3. If yes, can I put these programs on a sdcard (assuming it's big enough) along with Mp3's and photos and videos i take?

Long story short, I want alot of programs, music, etc.. but don't want resets. Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Have other question but will wait till later.

Thank you in advance.
    It's on now

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    I too had a 7135 and know the sinking feeling when the screen goes blank.
    Some people have taken the hard wired apps off the phone but theres always a chance of causeing problems doing that. I dont know how they do it but its something along the lines of hacking. There not just selecting delete from the menu. And you dont realy need to. Most apps are card compatible totaly if not partialy. Occasionaly I use almost all of my 256 meg card but only 12 megs internal. Check with developers to see if the whole app can go on the card or if only the database can.

Some cards you can pull the games or maps off and put them on your big card and some you cant. You never know till you try. I had a card with 6 or 7 games from sega and I could pull all but one off. Another card I couldnt pull any off. It is usualy cheaper to buy the software as a download anyway. And theres 1000 times more apps online than in a store. And try getting an upgrade from an app you bought at a store, what a joke. I still cant get oxford or sega to return my email.

Yes most of the time its impossible to move apps around without a file manager such as zlauncher. And zlaunchers great because you can put all your apps on the card and zlauncher pulls it into internal memory when you work with it and puts it back on the card when your done. You know that nifty little file manager that came stock with your 7135,,,treo dosent have one. You have to buy one.

It is extremely frustraiting when you dont know whats causeing a reset and its easy to blame the device itself.

1) I think some people just havent went to the trouble to update their apps.
    2) Alot of people downlaod way to much low quality free stuff.
    3) Im sure many didnt weed through all the leftover apps when they switched from their old device and stuff got carried over to the treo.

Ive learned a few things with the resets I've had, they were:

1) from a corrupt saved preference file
    2) from the fact that documents to go isnt compatible with microsofrt works
    3) datebook 5 says in the manual that the current version has many quirks with t650
    4) megalauncher says that the backup could falfunction with t650
    5) and that I should set fat finger to the keyboard on the menu instead of a hard key

So nothing unexplainable, yes the water is safe.
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 03-09-2005 at 05:37 PM.

Hello,
    So I got the phone, which I love but it does raise more specific questions.

By the Way...Only 17 mb free Space left!! No picture or vidoes stored and I've been clearing my web History alot. I only have 30 or so contacts and thats it. It seemed I only had 18.7 mb left after my first Hotsync. I thought I'd be starting out at at least 22 mb.

1. I just downloaded PACMAN fron the SprintPCS Website. Since the game is locked i can't put it on my sdcard. Is this something that I'll be able to do with zlauncher? I'd rather have it on the sdcard.

2. As far as the Applications that don't have a lock such as:Bluetooth Prefs Backup, Sheetstogo, Software, Just to name a few as example. Can i just put these on my sdcard without hurting my phone and without zlauncher? (I'm referring to the copy option). If yes, can i go and delete them from my phone?

3. As I mentioned about starting with 18.7 mb, does this sound wrong? Is there stuff anyone recommends that i can just delete from the phone?

4. Any advice on keeping the memory free, would be helpful. From what I hear It's good to keep 10mb free just to prevent resets.

Thanks again in advance to all of you.
    This forum has been very helpful
    It's on now

Ya, you have to use a filemanager such as zlauncher or filez to move the applications with the lock symbole. They all wont show a lock symbol when you look at them with the file manager. Pac man could definatly get moved to the card, I dont know about the bluetooth thing. For shets to go you would want th use the dataviz tech tool to move anything. Documents to go is an unstable program if you move applications without using the tech tool http://support.dataviz.com/support.s...=13426&pid=132 its on this page download it, open it on the palm and select move applications to the card. There isnt much you can delete that comes stock on the phone. Many of them are read only. I have been operating with 5 megs free for months.

If you think about it a person who has less than 10 megs free just has more application which means more chances for compatibility issues. I have I addition to the stock applications 76 applications total on internal,

I dont have any junk freeware
    I havent bought any lowcost application written by people sitting at a kitchen table with a laptop in their bathrobe
    I chose the big name popular profesionaly written programs.

I dont have any problems.

Cool, Thank you for the help.

A palm using friend of mine says that he can give me a "cracked Verison of Zlauncher" Considering your last couple statements, would you recommend this?

It's just annoying that I can get useless stuff like Quick tour and Welcome off the phone.

You've been very helpful
    Isaac
    It's on now

Im not sure what you mean by cracked version of zlauncher.
    Ya the junk apps like get bz and all that have been a mojor complaint. But like I said I have 76 apps total including stock and still have plenty of room. I have actualy choosen a few applicationa that cant go on the card but I didnt worry about it because I realy dont need the room. I still have many apps that could be moved to the card that I just havent moved yet. Did I already mention zlauncher allows you to put almost all your applications on the card and zlauncher pulls it to internal when in use and puts it back on the card when the application is not in use. Zlauncher will let you use over a hundred applications and still have plenty of room.

Not sure either really about the Cracked verison, but think it's a copy of the Real Zlauncher program that he can give me for free. Somehow he got it and is using it but can give me a copy aswell.
    Just a quess from what he told me. Don't think it's a knock off verison.

You have explained earlier about the the functions of zlauncher, but thanks again. Sounds like an amazing program, that I can really use.
    It's on now

The "cracked" zlauncher might not cause him a problem but it sounds dangerous to me. If the program causes any problems there is little knoledge of it or how to fix it. Even if you delete it dosent mean you would completely get rid of it. Unidentifiable leftovers can haunt you and crash your pda at random. Zlauncher is only $20.00 http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...t%5B1%5D_title

I have never used it, I have megalauncher I never knew about zlauncher till a few weeks ago.

I think your right about that. Rather get it from the source. Thanks for the link. I'll keep you posted on how it works.
    It's on now

If you are worried about memory try power run. It allows you to run programs directly from the storage card. I have yet to find a program that did not work with it. On the other hand I also have a HP Ipaq 6315
    and I cannot run all my programs off the 1 gig card so I'm constantly freeing up space by removing programs. I find that the 32 megs that the treo has and the addition of power run I get more computing power out of the so called lesser memoried(I think I made up that word) palm.

Mike

Hey mmalloy, How ya doing,,,, Ya thats pretty much what zlauncher does too. Is there a benifit to using power run over zlauncher?

I read your last sentence 10 times but I may just be sleepy ,,,,, So you say you get more computing power out of you treo versus you Ipaq, even though the Treos memory is smaller than the Ipaq?

I just bought my wife an Ipaq a few weeks ago, but I havent messed with it much. So Im curious to know what you think of them. Why would you say the Treo has more computing power?

I cant exactly tease her about her new Hp and brag about my Treo since I'm the one that bought it for her

Just took a peek at power run http://www.palmgear.com/?fuseaction=...e&prodID=15870

I have a question. Alot of the time a prc has to be internal to recognize its database on the card.

This is where zlauncher comes in handy, it dosent run the prc from the card it moves it to internal while in use then moves it to card when done.

Does this program allow a prc to recognize the database on the card when it otherwise wouldnt since the prc itself would also be on the card?

Hello,
    Downloaded Zlauncher yesterday and "think" I love it so far. Pretty intense program. I have figured out how to store programs to the card and then set up a shortcut to a Tab. If fell like there's so much more it can do. I'll play with it today. I have 16.4 mb on my 512 card (mostly music) and 17.1 left on my treo. Put the Pacman program on the card and set a up a short cut, slight lag while it takes it from the card but it works fine. Gonna wait until I need more room on the Treo to start moving more things around. Waiting for a 1g card aswell.

Thanks for all the help

isaac
    It's on now

Can you tell me if you can launch a shortcut with a hard button?

Sorry, what do you mean by hard button? Like the custom button on the side of the phone? When I'm in my phone setting, i do have Pacman (which is a shortcut) under my favorites right under contacts and call log.
    It's on now

Ya that one or one of these buttons to launch a shortcut (an application that is on the card but displays a shortcut icon on the internal) with zlauncher?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Treo Memory questions-project0.jpg  
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 03-18-2005 at 03:11 PM.

To be honest: No idea....Haven't had a chance to try it. Probaly not gonna screw around with whose buttons either. I have bad luck and will lose something very important. Might try it with the custom button on the side though.
    It's on now

Thats pretty funny that your real cautious about changing the default setting of the custom buttons but you sounded willing to download a pirated hacked launcher program

Those buttons are ment to be customized

Have you looked at it?

From the main palm screen you go "prefs", "buttons", then tap a drop down next to any button symbol.

Im sure zlauncher dosent allow for launching shortcuts with the hard buttons that would be a button extender application. Well enjoy you treo, Ive got to get some cleaning done before the wife gets home

thats the wife--> <--ya,,, and that one is me chuckle, chuckle

Didn't know that. Still learning new stuff all the time. Your right, glad I got the launcher from the source not that "cracked verison". As far as the question of shortcuts, still don't know but if or when i do try it, I'll let you know.
    It's on now