+ Reply to Thread

Windows modem driver for the 650?

I'm in a evaluation period and don't want to go through the trouble of installing Palm Desktop, sync, and register just to get the modem driver (I presume it's in there somewhere).

I also browsed the installation CD and couldn't find any .inf that looks like the modem driver.

I'm simply looking for the modem driver for the Treo 650 so I can tether via BT and test the DUN speed and functionality. I have an unlocked 650.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. A download link would be great!

JAMES.

If you have an unlocked 650, you don't need any extra software or drivers. Simply pair your 650 and computer via bluetooth, turn on DUN, and go! This is of course the simplified version, you may have to create a virtual com port first as well as setup a new network connection (#777 is the number to dial) depending on what PC BT software you are using. For more complete instructions, see this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63250

That thread talks a lot about hacking the DUN feature, you can skip all that (because its already enabled on your phone) and just pay attention to the posts that list the steps necessary for dialing out via DUN.

Thanks for your reply.

The instructions assume that Palm Desktop / Hotsync is installed. I'm trying to avoid that step. If there is a simple modem driver for the 650, I can add it as a modem for DUN. I currently have a SE S710a and SE T608 setup this way.

By the way, #777 is for Sprint/Verizon, Cingular is *99***1# or *99#.

I want to be able to do this so that I can easily set up DUN with multiple computers without having to install the Palm Desktop / Hotsync software.

JAMES.
    ----------Current Devices-----------
    Nextel: Motorola i95CL, i870, i930
    Sprint: Sony Ericsson T608, AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA

Sorry about the phone number mixup, you are correct.

I was not aware that the DUN functionality required Palm Desktop/Hotsync. In fact, I am sure it does not as I have used DUN on my 650 as a wireless modem for a laptop that did not have the Palm Desktop/Hotsync software installed on it. You don't need to download a modem driver for the 650 (I don't even think one is available to download), this is the beauty of bluetooth, no extra software or drivers required (at least in this case), just pair the devices and dial out.

Bluetooh simply replaces the physical wire, or connectivity between the computer and the phone. For DUN, the phone acts as a modem or modem-like device. BT does not negate the need for the computer to "know" how to use the device at a higher "layer", once the physical communication is established.

It's like having an external modem attached to the computer wirelessly. There still has to be some modem or "device" that the OS will use to address when dialing. In a typical DUN setup, one selects the modem to be used, along with the number to dial and user name/password information.

I mentioned Palm Desktop/Hotsync because I presume that these installations include some sort of driver to be used by DUN.

If you have done this without installing any Palm software, just the BT service provider/stack on the laptop, I am very intrigued. In the "Phone and Modem Options", "Modems" tab, under control panel, there is currently no Treo device. There are several other modems I've setup, including two other BT phones (mentioned previously), one Verizon EVDO PCMCIA card, one Sprint 1XRTT PCMCIA card, one Verizon PocketPC 1XRTT modem, and an internal analog modem.

By pairing the BT device with the computer, the modem device still has to be defined in the computer.

I tried to use a generic modem driver but it doesn't seem to work. Palm definitely does not have a driver for download, but I thought that it must be bundled with the software CD.

If you can share the details of your setup, I would appreciate it. Specifically, you should have a Treo-related entry in your modem configuration. I'd like to know how that entry got there.

JAMES.

I'm using a Belkin BT USB adapter on the computer that already has Palm Desktop installed and the computer that does not have Palm Desktop installed is a Dell Inspiron 8600 with BT builtin, the Bluetooth software of which is nearly identical to the one provided with the Belkin adapter. I don't remember the exact steps I took but here's what I remember:

1. paired the devices, 650 shows up as "smartphone"
    2. clicked on "discover my bluetooth services"
    3. DUN shows up, clicked on that (obviously make sure DUN is turned on on the 650 first)
    4. a windows dial-up connection box shows up
    5. I click on properties, select the "Bluetooth Modem" as the modem to use and enter in the other settings like phone number, etc. (how did "bluetooth modem" get there, I'm not sure, I assume it was created when I clicked on for the very first time that I wanted to use "dial-up networking" from the BT software menu)
    8. click ok, then click dial
    9. computer dials out and I'm connected (650 has to be disconnected from your data service first though before you click "dial")

Here is my take on your situation. It seems you want to create the dialup connection like you would any other, i.e. tell windows you want to create a new network connection, select your modem, enter the number, etc. This is how I tried it at first and it did not work. The only way I was able to get it to work on either computer was to launch/setup the connection going through the Bluetooth software. I'm not that knowledgeable on this matter, I just know for a fact that using BT DUN does not require the Palm Desktop/Hotsync software as I've used it on a compuer without this software installed. Hoped that helped you out some.

Thanks for the write up. It seems that my notebook (Toshiba w/ built-in BT and Toshiba's BT stack) works differently.

When it discoveres the phone and starts the pairing process, the BT software presents me with Window's Phone and Modem dialog box and asks me to pick a modem (from the availble drivers) and BT modem is not an option.

I think other BT stacks (Belkin, Dell) will recognize the phone as a BT modem and includes a built-in driver whereas the Toshiba doesn't. I will see if Toshiba has an updated version of the BT stack.

Someone else mentioned PDANet, any knowledge or experience with that?

JAMES.

Ya, PDANet works great (supports using BT and USB cable for wireless modem use). The only problem with it as far as your purposes go is that it definitely does require the Palm Desktop/Hotsync software to be installed first. But otherwise, its a geat program.

snowman - it's probably the toshiba stack. you might try the widcomm stack - i've had great luck with it, fwiw. the microsoft stack sucks rocks, that's for sure.

doody.