+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Verizon Treo 650 will have 1xEV-DO

According to some news sources, Ed Colligan, the President of PalmOne, has confirmed that the Verizon version of the Treo 650 will support 1xEV-DO.

Of course, by the time Verizon Wireless finally releases the Treo 650, who knows what Sprint and the others will be offering (e.g. the next generation Treo running Palm OS Cobalt with 2x the processing speed, 4x the battery life, 16x the memory).
    Last edited by William; 03-20-2005 at 09:34 AM.

That's interesting that he would come out and say that, P1 seems to be pretty tight-lipped about those kinds of things. I would like to see some other confirmation of this information as it would seem to me that this kind of news would be all over the PDA/smartphone enthusiast site headlines.

This is the only other link that I know of that talks about an EV-DO 650:

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2452

To me, it doesn't sound like he came right out and said "Verizon 650 will have EV-DO," just that they were working on one and since Verizon is the only one with an EV-DO network, logic says that 650 would be for them. I think that PIC article may have gone a little too far with their interpretation although they will probably end up being right in the end.

I went to Circuit City today and the Verizon rep there told me that the product info cards had already come and to expect the Treo 650 in mid-April. I hear so many things from so many people, but this guy said that they just got the info in and their big April promo will be the Treo 650.
    I want more gadgets NOW!

I spoke with a Verizon rep today (he said he just went through training for the 650) and went to a Circuit City and spoke with the Verizon rep there who said mid-April will be the launch for the 650.

Spoke to most of the local Verizon places today and they all pretty much said the same thing. Mid-April for out 650's!!!!
    I want more gadgets NOW!

Arrow Business Rep Confirms 650

This following text lifted directly from an email sent to me from a Verizon Corporate Account Rep.
    I asked him directly if and when the 650 would be released on VZW and here is what he replied:

"The 650 is scheduled to be out 2nd quarter, but we don't have a sold date yet. if your 7135 is working, I would wait a bit longer for the 650. You can contact me anytime about the 650, If I hear anything I will let you know."

My 650/VZW state has moved from pessimism to cautious optimism.

Michael

fwiw, i spoke to a clueful rep at my local verizon store today (the most clueful such person i've ever spoken to at that store - i was certain she was an alien or something, 'cuz she was smart and helpful) and she said she doesn't have a release date but it definitely is in testing. her best guess was "within a couple months".

doody.

thanks for the latest fix... er... update I mean!!!

P1

I spoke with a clueful P1 rep that stated the VZW testing has a current wrap date in mid-august.

Regardless, all this is much better than the dire predictions of "never".

August? Might as well be never. If it isn't out by the time I have to take my trip this summer, I am leaving Verizon. Why release a product that is a year old when brand new ones are coming out? I have been told by more VZW dealers that April is the target date.
    I want more gadgets NOW!

Re: Verizon Treo 650 will have 1xEV-DO

Originally posted by William
    Of course, by the time Verizon Wireless finally releases the Treo 650, who knows what Sprint and the others will be offering (e.g. the next generation Treo running Palm OS Cobalt with 2x the processing speed, 4x the battery life, 16x the memory).
    haha... yep One of these days hopefully VZW will get caught up
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Marty
    That's interesting that he would come out and say that, P1 seems to be pretty tight-lipped about those kinds of things.
    VZW must be realizing that it is embarrassing that the devices people really want are the ones they don't have.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: P1

Originally posted by nsane1
    I spoke with a clueful P1 rep that stated the VZW testing has a current wrap date in mid-august.

Regardless, all this is much better than the dire predictions of "never".
    If the testing wraps up in August, VZW may see the phone by Oct-Nov.
    My contract runs out in May, I can't wait that long, guess I'm going to Cingular, unless some other news comes out.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    If you want it in the next 6 months- I too would move on as Verizon has never been within 9 months of the release of any new PDA phones available with other carriers. They just released the Treo600 in late fall.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Advertisement in USA Today

There was an ad in USA today selling the 600 for $149.00, so it looks like they are starting to dump the stock of 600's to make room for the 650.

Or it could be??
    Mike

Originally posted by That70sGAdawg
    If you want it in the next 6 months- I too would move on as Verizon has never been within 9 months of the release of any new PDA phones available with other carriers. They just released the Treo600 in late fall.
    Actually that was mid-July. I was checking some press-release archives and the day was July 19.

Re: Advertisement in USA Today

Originally posted by Breeze_S
    There was an ad in USA today selling the 600 for $149.00, so it looks like they are starting to dump the stock of 600's to make room for the 650.

Or it could be??
    That's the best clue that VZW could be close to offering the 650.
    Two weeks ago it was $199. Clear out the 600s and bring on the 650s!

More fuel to the fire guys!!! Coincidence??? I think not!!!

http://mytreo.net/news/archives/000431.php

MTDN starts selling Verizon Treo smartphones!
    mytreo.net site news Wednesday, March 30, 2005
    mytreo.net is very pleased to announce that we're now shipping the Verizon Treo smartphones! Treo 600 model is available now, and the Treo 650 will be available soon.

erc

Can't Upgrade 7135 to 600 on vzw.com

Was logged into my VZW account last night, and just for kicks, I clicked on the phone upgrade button to see what was available.

There were no listings for the Treo 600. Could they be keeping me from making a hasty mistake? Could the 650 be around the corner?

It's also been two years since VZW released the 7135 next month. Drop support of one phone, pick up another? Is 2 years the magic timeframe?

Signs? I'm not sure. However they're things to think about while waiting for my 7135 to do things (changing songs, looking up addresses, logging in and retreiving mail...you get the point )

-e