+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar

firmware update: voice quality, memory, versamail, ect

The sprint firmware update is available. It improves the memory issue freeing up memory, improves voice quality (someone tell OCTREO), offers a more stable version of versamail get it here http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...er/sprint.html

Come back and post your results, so far users are gaining between 2 and 8 megs on internal memory, Alot fewer resets, cleaner louder sound ect......

If your not tech savy and are afraid of losing info everything is backed up to your desktop and reinstalled on the next hot sync, just like a hard reset, dont worry
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 03-23-2005 at 01:57 AM.

I see no one has gotten back on this one, Well I just got home from the office a 1 am and did the update.

I gained 5 megs on internal memory, WOW!

I myself never use versamail and the family is sleeping so cant coment on sound

now i didnt have 11 megs internal free space for the update so let me tell you what I did

1) I syncronized to make sure my backup was current
    2) I went into the desktop and renamed my backup to "hope this works" so the palm desktop wouldnt touch it.
    3) I hard reset the phone so I would have space for the update and also that no 3rd party applications would fight with the update.
    4) I held the phone end button down to turn off the phone signal
    5) I syncronized so the desktop would reflect the free memory ( just incase, cant be to carefull ya know)
    6) I downloaded the update and followed the directions
    7) Before the 2nd syncronization I went back in and deleted the new backup folder that the sync created and renamed my original backup folder (the one i named "hope this works") back to "backup".
    8 ) then I syncronized again

And as P1 promised a better Treo

Hey, All -

Just wanted to let you know my experience was great. I was at 10% free memory before the update and went up to 48% after.

I can't address the bluetooth issues yet - and clearing the 11 Megs to do the update was a little trying; but I was able to get everything back up and running in about 30 minutes.

One scare though - just about my favorite thing on the 650 is Kinoma Player. I have about 6 hours of video stored on my SD card - and after the update it didn't work. In fact, about half the tv shows and videos had vanished from the main menu screen.

After a lot of troubleshooting, I found I had to reinstall (from the treo, not my PC) Kinoma Player 3 EX. I had reinstalled Kinoma 3, and that was the source of the problem. Now all is well, and I can watch old "Avengers" and "Outer Limits" episodes to my heart's content. Or at least to my SD card's capacity!

Cheers!
    Sifu Z.
    Check out my Kung Fu School!
    www.kungfuschool.org

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    I have an unlocked GSM model with Firmware 1.15. Versamail works fine, I'm not sure of any memory improvements, and the sound quality is about average for most phones these days. The signal level and EDGE is Great.
    Since the Sprint phone was the first release - I would urge all to update. Now if they would only enable Dial up networking with that update....
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

The update went flawlessly for me I started out with 5.5MB free, and now have over 10MB free And, since I did not have the required 11MB free to start the update, I just did a fresh backup with BackupBuddyVFS, did a hard reset, installed the update (to a new profile), did another hard reset, sync'd to my old profile, and then restored over top of that with my backup. Everything seems to be fine (I just finished a few minutes ago)

Now, what am I going to do with all of this extra RAM? j/k It's funny... now we are probably back to having basically the same usable RAM as we had on the Treo 600... but it feels like a whole lot more now that I got so used to conserving space
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

pzc
    What about Cingular branded Treo 650? Is there an upgrade for it?

heres the update paige for all 650s http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...reo650cingular

Re: firmware update: voice quality, memory, versamail, ect

Originally posted by jamespaulritter
    (someone tell OCTREO),
    Haha thanks for the great news Jimbo

I will download it tonight. Now let me read the rest of the thread. I am sure I'll have some questions :p

Ugh..after reading through the thread, it seems like a lot of work. I only have 8.7 free MB. I can look up and find out how to do hard reset. But creating back, renaming backup, etc seems like a lot of work that I have yet to learn. Thought it was gonna be as easy as downloading from that link and voila but I guess not.

Can you walk me through it Jim ? May be in a PM if you don't wanna bore others ?

Ya sure over the phone through IM or PM you pick it

OK Jim how about I call you ? PM me your number. Right now wifey is calling to come downstairs for dinner. So it'll be after dinner. Isn't it late where you are ? I mean after 8 pacific ? But then I know you're nocturnal hehe...

Ya Im usualy in the office till 2 am, You know hospital hours are crazy

If anyone is holding off on updating their phone with Palm Ones fixes because they dont have 11 megs free space and are unsure about renaming the backup folder as I did you can follow these steps.

1) Syncronize so that your backup forder is current.

2) Hard reset your phone.

3) Syncronize with computer again and when it asks if you want to use the existing user name or create a new name, choose a new name.

4) Download the update and syncronize with your new temporary name.

5) Follow the updates instructions.

6) When you syncronize again choose your original user name

Did the update...as long as you follow the instructions PRECISELY...meaning READ what is on the SCREEN, it works well.

System "seems" slightly more responsive, and this has fixed a problem I had with Pocket Tunes reseting MP3 files back to start upon getting an incoming call...

how much memory did you gain forseti?

This was posted by Grover Industries regarding their Voice Recognition software....

"PLEASE NOTE: We only support Wired Headsets at this time. PalmOne implemented the Sound Streaming API calls wrong with Blue Tooth. We, along with all other PalmOS developers are waiting for PalmOne to patch the firmware to allow these API calls to work 100%. "

Does anyone know if this has been addressed in the current firmware update?
    "The color of my sky is vanilla, and I need tech support!"

I can only guess that you would have to email P1 tech support on that one

Wil
    I can't address the bluetooth issues yet
    Anyone know?

I dont know what the issues were with bluetooth since I dont use it but I know of 30 or 40 posts at TC that say their headsets a clear and loud now, after the update.

Wil