+ Reply to Thread
    PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar

Cingular Update Link

For all of you with A cingular/AT&T model, Here is the update link:
    Note: read the directions to make sure you need it!

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...ilUpdater.html
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Thanks for the info. I read the instructions and still have a question that I hope someone here can answer. I have a Cingular Treo 650 that has been unlocked. The directions say not to apply this update to a phone that was originally bought as an unlocked phone. Should I use this update on my unlocked Cingular phone? Thanks.
    Danny

That's a tough one. It would either revert your phone to a "locked' state, or render it useless. You are within the warranty - It might be worth a try to get the program updates.
    If it succeeds- then you could perform your "unlocking" - at your own risk...

That actually begs the question as to how unlocked phones not purchased directly from Cinguar will be updated. And I'm not talking about this update in particular but all updates.

For example, Sprint has just released an update that addresses the NVRAM issue (among oter things). I am certain taht Cingular will release their version of the same patch before long. But what about those of us who did not buy our phones from Cingular (nor purchase Cingular-versions from PalmOne)?

Will we get the updates directly from PalmOne?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to the GSM world.

The unlocked phones purchased directly from PalmOne (like mine) will have to be updated by downloading the files from here (when available):

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650gsm/

I think that the guy above bought a Cingular phone either from Cingular or PalmOne, then he "unlocked" it himself, using some codes off the net. That's why he may have an upgrade problem. Each version of the treo has it's own PalmOne support page like above, except these hacked "unlocked" phones.

Originally posted by That70sGAdawg
    The unlocked phones purchased directly from PalmOne (like mine) will have to be updated by downloading the files from here (when available):

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650gsm/

I think that the guy above bought a Cingular phone either from Cingular or PalmOne, then he "unlocked" it himself, using some codes off the net. That's why he may have an upgrade problem. Each version of the treo has it's own PalmOne support page like above, except these hacked "unlocked" phones.
    Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I unlocked the phone with the code given to me by Cingular. I have tried sim cards from other carriers to verify it is unlocked and they all worked. If the phone reverts back to a locked status, I believe all that I would have to do is reinsert the unlock code. Does this make sense? Thanks,
    Danny

Makes sense- Worst case you still have your warranty.