+ Reply to Thread
    PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar

VersaMail Problems

I spoke too soon in another thread on the stability of VersaMail- specifically using it with MicroSoft Exchange to get my IMAP corporate mail..
    It synced fine for 5 days. Now I'm getting an error each time though nothing changed on the server. It tries to delete all my calender items and ask me to proceed - When I respond NO, it resets the unit.
    My unlocked Treo has Versamail version 3.0b - I understand that the new Sprint upgrade gives you version 3.0c. I may stop using it until an update is available for the unlocked units. The only new software added recently was Pocket tunes - pushing my available memory down to 7.9M. I've heard that when memory gets too low - problems ensue. FYI
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Versamail account access trouble

I've successfully configured Versamail to access one of my email accounts and it works great. Now my trouble starts when adding another account which is in a different domain. When I add this account and configure it, I run the "Test My Settings" function in the setup wizard and get the following message "The specified server is invalid or is not responding. Cannot form a connection to the server."

Now I use this account often with no problems with my PC based email program. I can even access the account from web based clients such as Web2Mail. Anyone have any idea why Versamail can't access it?
    Last edited by gaffa; 03-24-2005 at 09:23 AM.
    "The color of my sky is vanilla, and I need tech support!"

First, be sure to apply the new firmware update from palm that fixes some nasty issues with Versamail.

Second, if this account is from your ISP, the reason it works from your PC is that the IP address you are using on your PC comes from your ISP...its in an acceptable range of IP addresses, so your ISP lets you send mail. Your Treo has an IP addresss from Sprint, outside of the acceptable range of IP addresses from your ISP. Many ISP's stop access to mail accounts for sending mail if the requesting IP is "not from them" to limit hijacked mail accounts from being spam central.

Can ISP's make adjustments per account to allow foriegn access to emai?

Where can I find the firmware upgrades?
    "The color of my sky is vanilla, and I need tech support!"

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    Heres our thread on it, firmware update: voice quality, memory, versamail, ect some of our posts in there are helpful. One of your posts is in the firmware thread, It is the same update. Versamail is one of the issues along with memory, sound quality blah, blah, blah,

The link to P1s update is in the 1st post

You should ask about this over at TreoCentral.com. There's much more info over there on the Treo...

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    I figured it out. When I changed an appointment note using Datebk5 on the Treo, then tried to IMAP 4 sync to the exchange server- the program gets confused and wants to match only the server appointments. To avoid duplicates - it defaults to the server info. I'll have to enter them under "Calender" instead of Datebk5 and live with it the way it is.
    I tried both Snappermail and Chatteremail over the weekend- and neither one would IMAP 4 sync with my companys Microsoft exchange 03 server...So for now, I'm using versamail. Hoping for an update soon.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...