+ Reply to Thread

Excel on Palm OS..help

Hi all, I have been on the fence the past few weeks about which pda/phone device to purchase. I was all ready for the Ipaq6315, but just cannot overlook all the bad feedback. Then is was the ppc6600, but I do love the size and phone first pda second function of the Treo650. My very DECIDING factor is working with excel and word. I know you can view these files with the palm, but I see that Documents to Go software is available to allow you to work on word, exel documents. Has anyone used this soefware before?

Thanks so much for the help from hopefully a new Treo owner!

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    Yes, Documents to go works well on the Treo. The print is small (as with most PDA's), typing can be done on the Treo- But a wireless keyboard would be much nicer if you work with a lot of spreadsheets.
    For periodic use it's fine. A Tungsten T5 PDA or Pocket PC would show you more of a spreadsheet at one time, but they (usually) don't have a phone and constant web connect.
    It used to be that documents to go would change the document type to be read on a Palm OS, but it now works with native .doc and .xls files. It is much better than a windows smartphone screeen - Just don't expect to do non-stop excel work without significant eyestrain...
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 03-29-2005 at 02:46 PM.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

That is great info. Thanks so much. Looks like I will be picking up my 650 next week. Going with Cingular even though I think the $25 for unlimited is a little much.

I keep you all posted.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    If going with Cingular, make sure you get the right Sim (card 32 bit) and do the update (if it's not already on the phone. There are some problems reported with the 64 bit SIM cards- but the update may solve those.
    If you already have a Cingular GSM phone, you may be able to buy an unlocked 650 direct from PalmOne and just pop in the Sim (32 bit blue AT&T type) - That's what I did and it works great.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...