+ Reply to Thread

Treo 650 Problems...Are most Treo phones defective??

I work for Sprint, so I see a lot of phones with issues, but we have been seeing A LOT of Treo 650's coming back. My personal Treo 650 recently started to have problems with versamail. Every time I go to use versamail the phone resets. I have already installed the Treo updater 1.08 from Palmone.com. Is the Treo just a poor quality phone? Does anyone think hard resetting the phone and reformatting my computer will help? (I have tried hard resetting the phone, but when I sync it, it reverts to all its problems). I am thinking of going to a PPC6600 if I can't get my phone to work right...does anyone have any suggestions?

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    As you likely know, all PDA Phones have their quirks and need updates. But when it comes down to stability - I'd take the Palm OS over PocketPC anyday!
    Yes, I have both, but the Treo goes everywhere with me and the Pocket PC (newest version) is used for Multimedia and some games only.

Try another unit and watch and see how many PPC6600's come back in the door...
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

I had the PPC-6601 (actually the Verizon XV-6600 -- same phone). I returned it after a week. It was much much much buggier than the T650. They both have issues but the Treo is definitely a lot better!

you may want to try changing the name of your back up folder and reinstalling your applications one by one to see which app os giving you the problem.

LTS
    According to the Cingular rep I have been dealing with. She has been seeing massive failures in the Treo650. From what I have seen and experienced it is generally dealing with VersaMail functionality. In our case it's Exchange ActiveSync problems. We have a few users with Treo650's and most of them are reporting problems. One is on his 3rd device in a week. We haven't heard from him in a few days, so perhaps he got a good one.

We also have users with the PPC-6601 and the XV6600.. there's been little issue with those so far.

in any event, the Cingular rep said she wouldn't even recommend a Treo650 to her clients right now.

Heh. Maybe she should just suggest her customers use a less buggier piece of software, like Snappermail?
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Treo 650 luck

hmm...
    i've been selling treo 650's (importing them from the US to sell in the UK) and i've sold about 20. No one i've sold to so far has complained about this...
    has this just been a stroke of luck?

LTS
    Perhaps. Although in this case the third one has begun to work flawlessly. I can't say what it is. I would have returned it immediately and just said forget about it.

As far as the rep goes. She's too stupid to know what Snappermail is. She didn't even know how to reset the Treo. Freakin pathetic.

I had got my first treo thru Cingular and right out of the shoot the thing had issues. Resets, freezing ..... it drove me nuts. I was so ready to jump to a BB 7100g but i gave the Treo another shot and exchanged the crappy one for a new one...... No problems at all with the new one.... works like a charm. Versamail does really suck though. I am definately going to go with either Snapermail or Chattermail.

650 Problems

I have had my GSM Treo 650 on Cingular for about a month. The second or third day, I start having problems with spontaneous resets, espeically when calls were coming in. I read some posts on another website, might have been Treo central, about defective Sim cards. Long story short, the sim cards beginning with a "G" are defective, you need to take the phone to a Cingular store and swith your Sim card to one that begins with an "A" I've had no problems since, I think this is a wonderful device, and it sure is more reliable and useful than my Kyocera 7135.

My problem was not a SIM card issue it was a software issue within the phone.... It would just randomly reset itself for no reason. while it was just sitting on my desk..... Alot of problems in the beginning were definately SIM related. Hopefully word has gotten out and that becomes a problem of the past.

Angry I returned my Treo 650 to PalmONE Today

Based on the experience I had with a brand new unlocked Treo 650 purchased from PalmONE direct, it is NOT ready for release.

Several reboot, several freezes with at least a soft-reset to get it going again.

Called technical support (I hate outsourced call centers) and they did the typical - did you do a reset, etc. First girl was so anxious to close out the call she was rushing me. We renamed the user backup directory etc. After a HARD-reset, she suggested I hang up and try all the applications and call back if I had problems. GRRRRRRRRR.

Fire up versamail after the hard-reset, configured the email settings and did a "GET". Boom - spontaneous reset again. So, call back up to tech support and referenced the prior service request.

Different tech person (same language issues) but same flowchart they followed. This time they had me delete the versamail directory on my PC, why - I dunno, and do a synch. So I did. Fired up versamail again, configured email settings and this time the get worked! But, after downloading 55 messages it locked up. Just like EVERY SINGLE FRIGGEN TIME I TRIED TO DOWNLOAD MESSAGES. This tech support person had me change the download size from 5KB per message to 250KB per message!

When I mentioned to him it locked up at 55 he literally had the gall to tell me I was lucky. Normally versamail locks up around 30 messages.

I had had enough. Asked to return it so he transferred me to sales. Sales said the Treo was fine and there was no known problems with it. Put me on hold after I gave my service request number and said it could be returned we he got back on line. Glad I didn't end up with a $699.00 boat (ok dinghy) anchor.

I've had various palm products from the days since they were US Robotics and this is defintely the worst product I have ever spent any money on. Gee-wiz factor totally negated by flakey software (or hardware).

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR - I'm pissed just re-writing about it.

Btw, I should mention I'm on T-Mobile (USA) with unlimited internet service. Although T-Mobile doesn't officially support this product, the issue, in my opinion, is with the Treo and not the inter-connect between the Treo and T-Mobile. No device should crash, reset or lockup like this.
    Last edited by eurocaller; 04-06-2005 at 11:03 PM.

Maybe that is why Verizon hasnt released it yet. They wanted to test the phone more and let sprint and cingular have all the problems instead od verizon. imo

LTS
    I had been told by our corporate Verizon rep back in December that they had no intention of releasing the Treo650 because of problems. I suppose they couldn't ignore the call for a Palm based device with those features.

Either that or they figured it out. We'll see what happens soon enough.

Still we now have 4 people using Treo650's and none are having major problems. Only one of them had major problems initially. 2 are Cingular and 2 are Sprint.

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar

Re: I returned my Treo 650 to PalmONE Today

Originally posted by eurocaller
    ,,,,,,Fire up versamail after the hard-reset, configured the email settings and did a "GET". Boom - spontaneous reset again.
    Im curious which version of versamail you had.

And I dont know how to ask without sounding like a jerk but I have read a hundred post about how flawed versamail is and everyons says to just use snappermail, did you try to see if snappermail solved the problem?

I am in no way saying its alright to sell devices with bad programs on them but I love my Treo 650 enough to gladly pay for an extra application to get my email without resets.

The first 2 weeks I had my Treo 650 I thought it was beyond buggy but one by one I found the bugs and all of them were related to 3rd party applications.

Re: I returned my Treo 650 to PalmONE Today

The sad thing is I did try snapper mail. The system would lock up constantly - no reboots though. Again, in my personal opinion based on my experiences with this device, it is not worthy of being called crapola.

What version of versamail did I have? I dunno - the one shipped with the Treo 650 - that version.

Remember, I had the UNLOCKED Treo 650 purchased directly from PalmONE so I didn't have the 'advantage' of a custom firmware for a given carrier.
    Last edited by eurocaller; 04-07-2005 at 11:38 PM.

I will be getting my Treo 650 (Sprint system) on Tuesday. I have been doing a lot of reading on the phone and the first release seems to be getting the most attention. Buggy, resets, etc... they are supposed to be HORRIBLE. As long as you don't get the first release, I hear you should be fine....

I've had 3 reset within 2 months other than that I've Had no problems with my new treo 650 a it do seem like the first batch of any new phone has the most problems. I don't think manif. test them out long enough to get good or bad result their too busy tring to meet deadline to push out the products on the assm. line.

New Guy here. I have a Treo 600 now. No problems. Never resets by itself. I've only had to reset it on rare occasions. I am looking real hard at getting a 650. I have an Ipaq that I use for multimedia and as a GPS. I want to get rid of the 600 and Ipaq and use one PDA. I think the 650 can handle it all, but you guys are scaring me. I am on Sprint and I have Business Connection. It sends me my email. I use Hot Sync for my contacts and calender from Outlook. I don't think I need to use Versamail (which seems to cause a lot of problems) and it seems MMplayer and Mapopolis works on the 650. Do I have anything to worry about?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    My Sprint Treo 650 has been flawless ever since I bought it just under a week ago. I use SnapperMail on it all the time. Just make sure that if you're going to use SnapperMail on the Treo 650, you must use version 2.2.6.01 or above, and have the ROM update installed.
    Michael