+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DUN Question

DUN Question

What Bluetooth profile must be enabled for Dial-Up Networking (DUN) to work? Since Verizon just announced the Treo 650, I want to know if I can use my laptop with it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Steve

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    Nobody knows for sure, but the word so far, doesn't allow DUN on the Verizon unit. Verizon crippled the Bluetooth on the Motorola V710 to block File exchange in a similar fashion. I guess they don't like the idea of Laptop teathering since they market their PCMCIA and CF data cards with more expensive data plans...
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

On the other hand...

The Verizon XV6600 supported this ability ... the salesman at Verizon even touted the ability to piggyback a laptop off the phone as an EV-DO conduit as a benefit of buying the phone!

One can only hope that the T650 will be same way.

If not, I am already putting shadowmite on alert that he will be counted on to save the day!!!

- Steve

Re: DUN Question

Originally posted by sgoldwa
    What Bluetooth profile must be enabled for Dial-Up Networking (DUN) to work? Since Verizon just announced the Treo 650, I want to know if I can use my laptop with it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Steve
    DUN is the name of the BT profile that needs to be enabled. There will likely be workarounds though like PDANet if the DUN profile is disabled.

Gizmodo.com reported that the BT DUN has been disabled by every carrier, including VZW, that sells the 650. Why is BT DUN so scary to them?

I think it's a money issue. VZW sells a laptop card along with $80/month for National and Broadband access. If everyone could just tap into their PDA using their laptop (at, for example, $45 per month on VZW), they'd be cannabilizing their other sales channels.

You may be on to sometihing. I wouldn't pay $80/mo for a dedicated data plan. Yeah, it's damn fast particularly in EV-DO enabled areas. But if I can get by with a slower connection (I think digital circuit switched data rate is limited to 14.4 kbps) for data use once in a while that only uses up airtime minutes from my regular voice plan, then I would tolerate it.

BTW, I've vaguely heard something about dialing *777 or #777 with Sprint where you would get their ISP (as opposed to calling up any dialin ISP) and get a higher data rate than 14.4k. My knowledge about this is sketchy and I'm not with Sprint but thought would mention it if any Sprint customer wants to investigate this avenue.