+ Reply to Thread

Will I have to pay extra on Verizon?

I too am anxiously awaiting the Verizon release. As much as I've loved my 7365, I am ready to move on.

Right now - with Verizon and my trusty 7365, I am able to surf the net without an additional plan beyond the normal. Will I be able to do that with the Treo?

(I hope I'm making sense!)

Thanks,

McKay

the reply I got at the store was it's best to have the $40/month data plan (note: he didn't say that, but the other options were awful).

I think there were two other options: 1) some fixed data amount for ~$25/month (the usage was too limited to be worth it at that price point) and outright paying some insane amount per *kilo*byte. I asked twice about that, he said he was sure.

anything less than ev-do means verizon has just priced themselves out of my range. maybe before ev-do, I'd do it, but after playing with the ev-do on the 6600, nothing else is acceptable, at least for $40/month. I'll be a sprint customer just as soon as I get the sprint 650. it's slow, but it's cheap. add that to verizon only now maybe rolling out the 650, and I'm gone.

does anybody know if the flat-rate plan is going to be INCREASED for EV-DO? i use that $40 (or whatever it is) plan with my 7135 now. cingular wants $70 or $80 for their (high-speed) flat-rate data plan for the 650. i was curious whether verizon would up their plan accordingly for EV-DO. any clues?

doody.

it was $40 for ev-do a few weeks back on a 6600. didn't like the 6600 enough, so I didn't do it, but if you like ppc, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

that 70 or 80 dollars is most likely a aircard im not that familiar wth cingular but with verizon our unlimited evdo data plan for a aircard (goes in your laptop) is 79.99 which the aircard will have its own number. our pda unlimited data plan is 40 a month and i dought it will go up in price.

Thaks everyone for your replies.

I am a bit confused. With my 7135 I don't pay anything extra. I can send e-mail and surf the net..etc.

Will I have to pay extra to do that with the 650?

Thanks,

McKay

I am waiting for the answer to this too.
    Cingular told me straight up "NO WAY". You MUST have a data plan.

So, the only remaining question is, Will Sprint let you onto their data network and just use the minutes (no data plan).

Anyone? Anyone?

Originally posted by Mckay
    Thaks everyone for your replies.

I am a bit confused. With my 7135 I don't pay anything extra. I can send e-mail and surf the net..etc.

Will I have to pay extra to do that with the 650?

Thanks,

McKay
    Hey, I think I know what you are asking, and I also think that other carriers name it differently or don't have it/ so no one is at fault here for just trying to help. If I understand you, you are speaking of Verizon's web access plan. As for the Kyocera 7135 itself being a "web enabled" phone, this is true, as is the case with most PDA phones. It has that technology built in, so you don't have to use a WAP browser as most other phones have. This means that you also don't have to pay the extra $5.00 or so (varies by market) for their web access plan. This will of course render the built in WAP browser useless, but getting Blazer will solve this problem Note that messaging plans are different.
    Early on this WAS the case with the t600, but as I understand it it was a software/firmware issue, and has been fixed, and should be a non-issue with the 650.
    If you are referring to VZW's MOU plan, which allows you to use your regular minutes for surfing, email, sms, data, etc. without paying ANY extra data plan fees, this still exists, but seems to be a dying breed. i cannot even confirm if they will allow it on new plans, but I recently upgraded and was placed on a 5MB plan, and promptly had them switch me *back* to the MOU, noting that I never abused the system by hogging minutes on nights and weekends. Take this as a hint: I think this info will serve you well, if you decide to pursue that option (or keep it). There are a gazillion posts all over the place on VZW and MOU.
    I hope that at least one of these two answers your question(s).
    BTW what was the "7635?"
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-13-2005 at 02:30 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Verizon options:

$40/month unlim
    $20/month 5mb
    pay-as-you go: .15/kb or $15/mb

Sprint options:

(I think) between $10-25 depending on the pacakage you want. There IS another $15 business option but I don't remember having to have it when I had the Sprint 650. Scratch that I just checked. YOU DO NOT have to have the extra $15...it is for MS PPC devices.

Cingular options:

I do not know.

Basically, if you REALLY want the 650, your best bet is to pay the ETF to get Sprint. It will cost you $480 plus tax for VZ's 1x network. You will pay around half to use it on Sprint. If that isn't enough to save, use an 18 month model and you will pay over $720 for Verizon's slow, useless, 1x.

Isn't it a damn shame that Verizon is ripping people off like that? Who wants to start a petition?
    More bars in more places are only good if you're an alcoholic

HOO HAA!

I have to reply to my own post. I've figured out why VZ's prices are more $.

In the case of Sprint, they aren't as big with EVDO right now. I'm sure when the time comes, they'll either be stupid like Verizon and charge only the EVDO price, or they'll be smart and charge 1x customers the same price they do now and EVDO customers EVDO prices.
    More bars in more places are only good if you're an alcoholic

HOO HAA!

Or you can set your phone to Virtual Modem, and use a standard dial-up account. Speed sucks at 11mbs, but it's good enough for email.

Just DECLINE all data options.

Almost all broadband ISP's have some sort of free dial-up (or low cost) at least.