+ Reply to Thread

Auto Photo picture taker feature?

I have a lake property that I would like to keep an eye on, can the Treo 650 (or any camera phone) be programmed to take pictures 1 every hour or so and do a auto-upload?

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    I have never herd of any thing but If you tell us more maybey we can think of some thing.

At one point in time I thought about keeping an eye on my house using my treo as a survailence monitor but that runs into money.

If you have Internet connectivity there, have you considered a webcam? Some models are motion sensing and will only send update when view changes. Some feature power through ethernet so LAN cable is only run you need to make. Also,
    cheaper than using a Treo.

Originally posted by BillJ
    If you have Internet connectivity there, have you considered a webcam? Some models are motion sensing and will only send update when view changes. Some feature power through ethernet so LAN cable is only run you need to make. Also,
    cheaper than using a Treo.
    Nope, but lets consider this....

Internet Access.... $40 buck a month
    Desktop computer $600
    webcam $80

or

Add a cell phone (add a line) to my account $15 per month
    plus the cost of a phone with a camera.

In my area, I've seen DSL advertised at ~$20/mo. with a free modem for a year's commitment. A number of webcams today can serve there own webpage without a computer. You will need to use a laptop or computer to do initial setup. If adept, this can be preset offsite. Then just plug webcam into modem; no computer needed. This is not a pipe dream. I am an IT Mgr. and do something similar to monitor my remote server rooms.

Since this site caters to tweaks, I would be interested to see if someone could create the autocapture/autoupload feature you describe. I just wanted to offer another possible option for addressing your inquiry.

Originally posted by BillJ
    In my area, I've seen DSL advertised at ~$20/mo. with a free modem for a year's commitment. A number of webcams today can serve there own webpage without a computer. You will need to use a laptop or computer to do initial setup. If adept, this can be preset offsite. Then just plug webcam into modem; no computer needed. This is not a pipe dream. I am an IT Mgr. and do something similar to monitor my remote server rooms.

Since this site caters to tweaks, I would be interested to see if someone could create the autocapture/autoupload feature you describe. I just wanted to offer another possible option for addressing your inquiry.
    Nope, it is a rural area on a lake, there is no internet service availible except DirecWay which costs $600 plus $59 per month or $99 down $99 permonth. I just thought that it would be pretty cool if I could find a phone that could take pictures every now and then.