+ Reply to Thread

Verizon, you are making me sick.

Well, store info cards and Verizon website notwithstanding, I spoke with five different reps today, including calling Verizon directly. They all seem to think that the 650 is months away from a Verizon release. One said that the Verizon Treo 650 would be released shortly after the new Treo is released for Sprint.My contract expires with them soon and I am eligible for New Every Two. Sprint doesn't have any coverage where I work and precious little PCS coverage anywhere else and Cingular has zero coverage where I live. It's Verizon or tin cans with cord. I guess Verizon tested the tin cans with cord and found it too advanced for their system to handle? How much longer before I go all ballistic and get the Verizonized Sprint Treo? The day after I do, they will no doubt announce the release, so I just sit with my dumbphone, twiddling my jittering thumbs and wait for the Verizon 650 like a junkie in need of a serious fix.

They also never heard of the Samsung i730. So the VX6600 is IT? Yuck!
    I want more gadgets NOW!

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    I know how you feel,,,,, I could only stand it for 5 minutes after I saw the 650 at Sprint. Knowing Verizon like I do, I paid the 175.00 contract break fee and jumped ship.

Sorry thats not an option for you. I would suplement the fix with Budlight and Hagendaz (no coments on the spelling please)

Just curious, what is your dumb phone?

Well, it's a good phone...the Moto V60i, buit it ain't no smartphone. The Treo 650 fits the bill...and I already bought some accessories for the 650 because Verizon posted their "coming soon" page. I guess the definition of "soon" is relative to geologic time.
    I want more gadgets NOW!

The VZW Treo 650 is just around the corner but again, they will limit the BT capabilities of the device. I just the VZW boat as well and got the 650 on Cingular and enjoy the uncrippled BT!
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

That would be great, but Cingular uses T-Mobile towers in my area, and there is a huge service gap centered right over my house. Maybe in twenty years the coverage will be everywhere, but not for the forseeable future. It's like nuclear fusion power...always 20 years in the future.
    I want more gadgets NOW!

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    gadjitfreek, your gunna love your T650 Me and my 650 got hitched in January and have been inseperable since.

May 2 for B2B and June 6 for the rest of us.
    Hang in there, it is coming soon. Hey, my Samsung A530's had a busted speaker for the last 5 months and I've hung in there to wait for the 650.
    Patience will be rewarded.

I was with Verizon for 8-9 years... they are WAY behind the curve. I spoke to a couple of VZW reps and they claim to have the best, most advanced network around and that they couldn't tell me if/when the T650 would be supported on their network. They almost acted like it wouldn't. Who do they think they are fooling? My company bought my the T650 on the Sprint network and I will NEVER look back....

VZW is a joke, IMO.

Yes, every rep I talk to now makes it sound like the Treo 650 is dead in the water. June 6th? That's insane. That's like them releasing that brand new 486 just as the Pentium II's are coming out...somewhat pointless. Then again, if Palm1 comes out with a new Treo in the next month or two, it will be about a year before we see it on Verizon. Patience? How much patience? It's been so long now that it almost doesn't matter if they come out with it or not.
    I want more gadgets NOW!

Originally posted by mjordan
    I was with Verizon for 8-9 years... they are WAY behind the curve. I spoke to a couple of VZW reps and they claim to have the best, most advanced network around and that they couldn't tell me if/when the T650 would be supported on their network. They almost acted like it wouldn't. Who do they think they are fooling? My company bought my the T650 on the Sprint network and I will NEVER look back....

VZW is a joke, IMO.
    The reps are either lying or uninformed.
    What does this mean?
    http://www.vzwshop.com/treoinfo/

Originally posted by patchs
    The reps are either lying or uninformed.
    What does this mean?
    http://www.vzwshop.com/treoinfo/
    I say sign up... see what happens. I got sick of waiting. I use mine for business, not watching cartoons (not suggesting anything), so I got fed up. Plus, I had issues with their billing. I want to be with a company that is moving forward with their technology (not that Sprint is cutting edge), so I moved on. Their reps still don't even know how to support the 7135 properly....

I agree about VZW being behind the curve. Sure, they've launched a great EV-DO network, but it's limited and so are the handsets that use it. You just aren't going to be able to apease "techies" with last years technology.

Originally posted by EvilHomer
    I agree about VZW being behind the curve. Sure, they've launched a great EV-DO network, but it's limited and so are the handsets that use it. You just aren't going to be able to apease "techies" with last years technology.
    "last years"? Most of their handsets are carried in a box with a shoulder strap!

Slave to all that beeps Halitosis's Avatar

Crippled BT?

The VZW Treo 650 is just around the corner but again, they will limit the BT capabilities of the device. I just the VZW boat as well and got the 650 on Cingular and enjoy the uncrippled BT!
    I am one of the many 7135 users lurking around waiting for the T650. (The only that that is holding me to Verizon is their customer service and coverage... certainly not their ability to launch cutting edge technology ahead of the pack).

Not sure I understand how/why Verizon would cripple any of their Blue Tooth capabilities on the T650.

Can you comment more on this?

Specifically, Verizon will cripple/hide/block the use of the Bluetooth (BT) Dial-Up Networking profile, the BT profile that lets you use your phone as a wireless modem for your laptop though BT (i.e no cables). Verizon would rather have you purchase one of their laptop modem cards and the associated $80/month plan that goes with it instead of you just using your phone and its lower-priced plan as a wireless modem when you need it.

Originally posted by Marty
    Specifically, Verizon will cripple/hide/block the use of the Bluetooth (BT) Dial-Up Networking profile, the BT profile that lets you use your phone as a wireless modem for your laptop though BT (i.e no cables). Verizon would rather have you purchase one of their laptop modem cards and the associated $80/month plan that goes with it instead of you just using your phone and its lower-priced plan as a wireless modem when you need it.
    Which really makes no sense. Other providers seem to have no problem with it. Although their networks are not EV-DO, they still don't cripple their devices. Surely, if they can afford to do it, Verizon certainly can. They are, after all, probably the most expensive carrier in the US. I'm all for a company making a profit, but when you are charging three or four times more for data on a phone that you are for DSL with umteen times more speed, you are just being greedy!

Which really makes no sense. Other providers seem to have no problem with it. Although their networks are not EV-DO, they still don't cripple their devices. Surely, if they can afford to do it, Verizon certainly can. They are, after all, probably the most expensive carrier in the US. I'm all for a company making a profit, but when you are charging three or four times more for data on a phone that you are for DSL with umteen times more speed, you are just being greedy!
    You are right... that doesn't make much sense. It wouldn't succeed in forcing any Verizon customers to purchase the addional hardware or plan.... all it will do is make your existing customers more angry that they have to lug around an extra data cable to utilize DUN on their phone. (That's what I do now with my 7135... )

I just read about the class action lawsuit going on right now over their previous attempt.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1751567,00.asp

I am sure it's old news by now here on this forum. But maybe we will get lucky and Verizon won't make the same attempt twice.

Halitosis

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Re: Verizon, you are making me sick.

Originally posted by gadjitfreek
    Sprint doesn't have any coverage where I work and precious little PCS coverage anywhere else and Cingular has zero coverage where I live. It's Verizon or tin cans with cord.
    If you sign up with Sprint, for an extra $5 per month, you can roam on Verizon's network for free. You just have to make sure that you make/receive more than 50% of your calls on Sprint's network ... if that's possible for you. Also, Sprint's data plans are much more reasonably priced ($15/month). Verizon wants three times that much ($45/month) for a PDA unlimited data plan. That's insane!
    Michael

Yes, but Sprint's network is so limited that most of my calls would be roaming...plus you can't use data while roaming. Totally useless. Argh!
    I want more gadgets NOW!

Originally posted by gadjitfreek
    Yes, but Sprint's network is so limited that most of my calls would be roaming...plus you can't use data while roaming. Totally useless. Argh!
    My wife has Sprint, I have Verizon. (We figured that between the two of us, we would at least always be able to make a phone call no matter where we are).

We recently took a cross-country driving trip, and found that doing anything with Sprint (other than making phone calls) while roaming was pretty much useless... with my Verizon phone, I at least had a 50/50 shot of using my data even while roaming.

Halitosis