+ Reply to Thread

Treo 650 Versamail help for former PPC user

I have recently gone back to the land of Treo after going though both the HP6315 and the VX6600. I've loved the Treo's since my b/w 180 and the 650 has reached near perfection! I am in need of some assitance and options about the email functions of the phone. Namely, Versamail and XpressMail.

I have set up the XpressMail through Cingular and it works well. However, I understand that Versamail is capable of syncing with my Exchange Server 2003 wirelessly, but can't seem to find any answers on how exctatley that must be setup. What I really need is your help and opinions.

1. Are there Advantages to using VersaMail over XpressMail?

2. What do I need to do to make the Versamail work with my Exchange Server?

3. Does Versamail "push" mail to the Treo like XpressMail?

4. How do I keep my data connection active so that I can continue to receive mail without logging into the account?

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you could provide on any of these questions. BTW: This thing is WOW.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    Hello Evil Homer !
    I too have come back to Treo after 2 years with the Samsung i700, Samsung i500, Treo 600 then I actually went "unconverged" with an T5, HP4700, then Dell x50v VGA PPC paired with a Motorola V710 on Verizon. My company got me a Blackberry 7190 -The latest greatest. The email push was great- the phone and screen were horrible.
    I can't answer all your questions, but I can relate some of my recent expierence with Versamail on my unlocked 650- Used on Cingular with an AT&T Sim.
    Versamail has bugs. It can be set to "check " mail every X minutes, or hours- but is not true push. Data could be set to "turn off" the network connection using a program like Treohelper. But, I don't think that it's worth it. It could be the new memory heap, or the poor implentation of the software. Version 3.0 "C" is supposed to be slightly better. I set up my version "B" to sync with my corporate Microsoft Excahange Activesync server. It worked, but there is no option for not syncing "calender". It erases all of your current calender items on the device (if using Palm Desktop) and replaces them with the calender items on the corporate server. If you run a separate (personal) database different from the one on the corporate server, as I do, calender items are no longer on your device- and Palm desktop calender will not sync. Also, if you use a program like DateBk5 or Agendus to add font colors, highlights, or icons - those changes made on the device won't sync with the corporate server and it ends erasing all those device entered calender items. I deleted the Microsoft Exchange Activesync account on the device - as the instructions state- and it still wouldn't let me change the hotsync setting on calender to sync. I had to reload my desktop to get it to sync with Palm desktop calender again.
    Long story, but the moral is- try Snapper mail or Chatteremail first to see if you can get it to sync with your exchange server, before I would venture into Versamail land. Until there is a definate software fix of Versamail, I would not even try it again. Chattermail claims a "push" email expierence - or you could always wait for the Blackberry mail program being developed by PalmSource...
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 04-17-2005 at 04:03 PM.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Thanks for the heads up. Right now, the XpressMail seems to be the best for pushing the mail. I used Snapper on my previous Treo but never saw an option for Syncing with a server. I am desperately waiting for the Blackberry software as I currently run a BES. I'll also revistit Snapper and Chattermail.

Thanks for the insight. You saved me some serious hassles. It's good to be back with the Treo!!
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

Hey EvilHomer.... It sounds like you are running in a corporate environment???? Are you running the BES through it? Anyway a very good email solution in that scenario is Goodlink. It is a zero-touch install and synchronizes everything in outlook and even public exchange folders. Take a look at it... www.good.com