+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Geek

Question Question: BT Verizon vs BT Cingular for T650

What are the expected differences between Verizons' crippled Treo 650 Bluetooth support and Cingular / Sprint BT support? What will I miss using the Verizon Treo vs a Cingular Treo?

Thanks

Registered Geek
    Does anyone have an answer to my question?

I could be wrong but it is my understanding the BT Dial-Up Networking (DUN) profile is/will be crippled on all 3 versions (Sprint, Cingular, Verizon). As far as BT is concerned, there isn't any difference between the three that I am aware of. The Sprint and Cingular versions have been hacked to have DUN reenabled on them and I'm sure once the Verizon version is released, someone will eventually hack that one to allow BT DUN on it. So no differences between the three that I know of as far as BT is concerned. Of course, since the Verizon 650 is yet to be released and thus we don't have the final specs to be sure, that is subject to change.

Registered Geek
    Thanks for your reply. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get a phone that was somewhat inferior to another carriers version.

Interesting that the other carriers phones have been hacked to DUN re-enabled. That's good news. Makes you wonder why carriers even bother to disable it. Round and round we go with the cat and mouse game with the carriers.

I have to say, after all of this talk on this forum, Verizon's very lucky they have good coverage, otherwise, many people such as myself would have switched carriers. I would love to have a world capable phone and a SIM card to be able to swap between phones easily.. Oh well. Verizon has me captive because above all, coverage area / reception / service are the main things for me.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    The only unit to not have DUN disabled out of the box is the Unlocked GSM version bought straight from Palm One. I have this and it works great with an AT&T Sim card on the Cingular network!
    Be aware that ROM hacks are not always stable and "will void your warranty", etc. etc.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

It's always a good idea to get unlocked versions. You might pay a litte more but they are much more versitile.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

Can you use an unlocked GSM model on Verizon though? (with the hack of course).

Originally posted by mcmc
    Can you use an unlocked GSM model on Verizon though? (with the hack of course).
    No. They are two different technologies.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    The Unlocked GSM unit is for use around the world with many GSM carriers.
    In the US, CMDA service providers like Sprint and Verizon use a different technology. In Canada, Rogers is the provider. In the US, it will work on AT&T, Cingular, or T-Mobile signals.
    You can put in any one of those US Sim cards and your service will work- provided you pay your bills....
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 04-18-2005 at 08:36 PM.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Originally posted by That70sGAdawg
    The Unlocked GSM unit is for use around the world with many GSM carriers.
    In the US, CMDA service providers like Sprint and Verizon use a different technology. In Canada, Rogers is the provider. In the US, it will work on AT&T, Cingular, or T-Mobile signals.
    You can put in anyone of those US Sim cards and your service will work- provided you pay your bills....
    That's what I meant..

unlocked GSM costs

Hi, EvilHomer.
    I like the idea of buying the unlocked version, but from what I've found, I'll have to pay $700 for one of those, and many carriers (with activation) are now offering 650's below 400, some even at 350. That's a lot more. All I really want (in terms of functionality that the carriers have blocked) is the ability to use the phone as an external modem. Are the hacks that hard to justify the almost double expense?

Originally posted by EvilHomer
    It's always a good idea to get unlocked versions. You might pay a litte more but they are much more versitile.

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?

Re: unlocked GSM costs

Originally posted by rexwilson
    Hi, EvilHomer.
    I like the idea of buying the unlocked version, but from what I've found, I'll have to pay $700 for one of those, and many carriers (with activation) are now offering 650's below 400, some even at 350. That's a lot more. All I really want (in terms of functionality that the carriers have blocked) is the ability to use the phone as an external modem. Are the hacks that hard to justify the almost double expense?
    I would be interested in the "feature" differences between carrier and unlocked phones also. But you might ba able to get a better price for an unlocked phone off of Ebay or through this forum.

Mark