+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-05-2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    18

    EVDO on verizon's T650???

    so what's the consensus on whether verizon's treo 650 will have EVDO capability? i've seen mentions both ways and i'm not sure which to put more confidence in.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-20-2001
    Location
    DC/Baltimore
    Posts
    3,407
    no one knows for sure, just going to have to wait and see.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-24-2003
    Posts
    35
    It's not. That's what I've read on other boards.

  4. #4
    Registered User EvilHomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    1,869
    No EV-DO.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

  5. #5
    Registered Geek
    Join Date
    05-05-2004
    Posts
    181

    I hope your wrong, but...

    EvilHomer, I hope your wrong but I'm afraid you'll probably be right.

    I don't see how Verizon could do this if Cingular has EDGE on thier version of the 650 and Verizon wouldn't have thier competitve high speed product on it... How frustrating!

  6. #6
    Registered User EvilHomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    1,869
    Well, they did the same thing with the PPC6600. The Cingular version, SX66, has Wi-Fi, but the Verizon model does not. Verizon may have thought wifi was redundant for those with EV-DO access, but most people don't and that makes it usless for faster surfing unless you pony up for a SDIO wifi card. Siemens did not make the SX66 EDGE capable, but at least you have a broadband solution with the built in wifi without having an expensive data plan.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Posts
    185
    It's goofy to release a phone that has been obsolete for 4 months. I wouldn't pay money for a 650 without EVDO, but I'd take one for free.

  8. #8
    Registered User EvilHomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    1,869
    Originally posted by jstpa
    It's goofy to release a phone that has been obsolete for 4 months. I wouldn't pay money for a 650 without EVDO, but I'd take one for free.
    What about the 650 do you see as being obsolete? Sure, it's not without it's flaws, like any device, but obsolete? I think in order for something to be obsolete, it has be no longer in use or no longer useful. I'd say the 650 is FAR from that definition.

    I'm not trying to be combatitive, but what device are you buying (or getting for free) that makes the 650 obsolete?
    Last edited by EvilHomer; 04-20-2005 at 08:27 AM.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

  9. #9
    MEG
    MEG is offline
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Join Date
    09-23-2004
    Location
    Brookfield, CT
    Posts
    1,140

    Here's a prediction

    No basis in fact mind you, but is there any Treo runnning EVDO? Palm says they are working on it, but maybe there is a real problem getting it to work. Now throw in those sketchy/fake/cool pictures of a "Treo 670" running WinMo and I think that will be their solution. I Treo running WinMo with EVDO.
    Where and when might be the issue and if the Samsung i730 beats it to release, it may be too late. But VZW has WinMo devices running EVDO on their network already, so it would not be a real stretch to get a WinMo Treo up and running.

    Mark

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Posts
    185
    Originally posted by EvilHomer
    What about the 650 do you see as being obsolete? Sure, it's not without it's flaws, like any device, but obsolete? I think in order for something to be obsolete, it has be no longer in use or no longer useful. I'd say the 650 is FAR from that definition.

    I'm not trying to be combatitive, but what device are you buying (or getting for free) that makes the 650 obsolete?
    Without EVDO, it's obsolete. It can't utilize the carrier's network. It's a paperweight.

    What's going to be fun is when a bunch of execs pay good money for the outdated 650 and then they find out that the folks who bought PPC smartphones at the same time are paying VZW the same amount for internet access that is 5-7 times as fast.

    There's gonna be some VZW reps that are going to get an earful about that. And then when they find out that they've gone past their 2 week tryout period and are stuck with the phone, there'll be some serious fireworks. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that one.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-24-2003
    Posts
    72
    I don't know about obselete, but this is the reason I'm buying a 6600. I *want* a treo, but there's no chance I'm paying $45 and not getting ev-do, and my whole family is on verizon.

    I'm bent enough at verizon for not offering a lower cost option for slow-speed (I'd rather surf the web with a real monitor and email is fine without ev-do) that I'd bail to sprint, but my wife is adamant. plus, sprint offers phones when they're available, not after the next generation is out.

  12. #12
    Registered User EvilHomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    1,869
    Originally posted by jstpa
    Without EVDO, it's obsolete. It can't utilize the carrier's network. It's a paperweight.

    What's going to be fun is when a bunch of execs pay good money for the outdated 650 and then they find out that the folks who bought PPC smartphones at the same time are paying VZW the same amount for internet access that is 5-7 times as fast.

    There's gonna be some VZW reps that are going to get an earful about that. And then when they find out that they've gone past their 2 week tryout period and are stuck with the phone, there'll be some serious fireworks. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that one.
    Trust me, one feature doesn't make a device obsolete. If that's the case, why isn't the 6600 obsolete? It lacks wifi and heck, anything without wifi is ancient history, right? EV-DO is impressive, but since it's still unavailable in the vast majority of the US, I'd say that it's still a lower priority than having wifi. Verizon will also cripple the ability to connect your EV-DO enabled device to a laptp or other PC, so for a whopping 50 bux a month, you are still limited to surfing on a 3.5" display. IMO, websurfing on moible devices is way over rated and the experiance is substandard even under the best of circumstances. Bluetooth and EVDO are both great to have on a moblie device, but as long as the carriers have their way, it's functionality and usefulness is limted for such a high monthly service charge.

    Hey, if you think the lack of EVDO makes any device obsolete, then more power to you. I just think that making the statement that the best selling, best reviewed device on the market is obsolete is a very long stretch of the imagination.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

  13. #13
    Beginning to like the i730 Cr0n_J0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Posts
    128

    I just heard the t650 will come in may

    I sent a question to my corporate sales rep about the release of the T650 and i730, along with Blackberry support...forgot to ask about Ev-Do...

    his response.

    "The Treo 650 is slated to launch the 1st week in May. I'm not aware of a launch date for the i730. As for the Blackberry Connect Client Software, I will ask our data specialist if we will be supporting this. thanks"

    I'll probably wait if there is no EV-DO support till the i730 comes out. I plan on using this as a modem for my laptop and I can't see going back to dial-up speed.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Posts
    185
    Originally posted by EvilHomer
    Trust me, one feature doesn't make a device obsolete. If that's the case, why isn't the 6600 obsolete? It lacks wifi and heck, anything without wifi is ancient history, right? EV-DO is impressive, but since it's still unavailable in the vast majority of the US, I'd say that it's still a lower priority than having wifi. Verizon will also cripple the ability to connect your EV-DO enabled device to a laptp or other PC, so for a whopping 50 bux a month, you are still limited to surfing on a 3.5" display. IMO, websurfing on moible devices is way over rated and the experiance is substandard even under the best of circumstances. Bluetooth and EVDO are both great to have on a moblie device, but as long as the carriers have their way, it's functionality and usefulness is limted for such a high monthly service charge.

    Hey, if you think the lack of EVDO makes any device obsolete, then more power to you. I just think that making the statement that the best selling, best reviewed device on the market is obsolete is a very long stretch of the imagination.
    It really didn't take much imagination.

    The 650 might not be obsolete on Cingular, because it fully utilizes Cingular's network. There, it's the network that's obsolete.

    I'm not sure why wifi serves me better than EVDO. Why do I want to tether myself to my wifi gateway, or better yet, pay $40 per month to Starbucks, when I can walk around freely and use EVDO.

    Touche, surfing on a 3.5 inch screen is sorry indeed, but internet functionality becomes much more pleasant at EVDO speeds. It's still a pain, but much less so.

    Finally, I'm not sure what you mean about the "high monthly charge." VZW's internet access is the same price, whether it is EVDO or 1xrtt - so I'm paying it anyway.

    I'm not sure its correct to say that EVDO is unavailable in the vast majority of the US. It's available in most of the larger urban centers (even Arlington) and is spreading fairly quickly.
    Last edited by jstpa; 04-20-2005 at 11:15 PM.

  15. #15
    Slave to all that beeps Halitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-18-2003
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    66
    Originally posted by jstpa
    Without EVDO, it's obsolete. It can't utilize the carrier's network. It's a paperweight.

    Obsolete
    1) No longer in use
    2) Outmoded in design, style, or construction

    Paperweight
    A small, heavy, often decorative object that is placed on loose papers to hold them down.

    I think instead of "obsolete" you probably mean "device severally limiting its level of practicality due to a restriction in design and inability to utilize a proprietary technology deemed to be important by a segment of the minority".

    I also think instead of "paperweight" you really meant "anchor".

    Having the 650 not use EVDO doesn't really make it obsolete... it just makes it less appealing to some.

    (Just not me... )

    Halitosis

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-17-2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    29
    Originally posted by Halitosis
    Obsolete
    1) No longer in use
    2) Outmoded in design, style, or construction

    I think instead of "obsolete" you probably mean "device severally limiting its level of practicality due to a restriction in design and inability to utilize a proprietary technology deemed to be important by a segment of the minority".


    Halitosis
    Add another definition of "obsolete"...a word used by frustrated consumers for a product being brought to market by their chosen (and for many, only possible) wireless carrier so late in the game as to be ridiculous...especially without wireless features found on the other flagship smartphone. Those who live in EVDO-enabled areas would be insane to buy the Treo 650 if it doesn't have EVDO...especially if the price point puts it on par with the XV6600. Then, of course, there is the (never) imminent release of the i730...

    Personally, I don't care if the the Treo has EVDO or not...I don't live in the market areas for this service and I don't travel to any of them more than once or twice a year for a day or so...but services spread. Except for Sprint's that is. That and no Cingular where I live is the reason that I am stuck with Verizon.
    I want more gadgets NOW!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-18-2003
    Posts
    385
    Just to jump in with my "two cents" as someone who lives in a EV-DO area (Washington, DC) who switched from a CDMA carrier (Verizon) to a GSM one (Cingular).

    First of all, the Cingular network is not "obsolete." EDGE and 1xRTT speeds are quite comparable. In fact, if I had to quess, I would say that EDGE is faster.

    Two, with GSM -- or at least with the quad-band GSM Treo 650 -- you can roam worldwide. Sorry, but you can't do that with EV-DO on Verizon or Sprint. For some people, myself included, that alone is reason to switch.

    And third for my two cents, 1xEV-DO is still such a rarity that even if you only travel in the United States, chances are you'll be in an area without it. In fact, I have yet to find an area in the United States that does not support EDGE.

    In sum, while I readily admit that as a technology CDMA/1xEV-DO is a superior technology to GSM/EDGE, you simply cannot say that Cingular is an inferior network. Sorry, but it does have contervailing advantages over Sprint, Verizon and others that in the opinion of many makes it the superior network for them.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Posts
    185
    Originally posted by William


    And third for my two cents, 1xEV-DO is still such a rarity that even if you only travel in the United States, chances are you'll be in an area without it. In fact, I have yet to find an area in the United States that does not support EDGE.

    What I'm finding to be amusing is that the people who are commenting that EVDO is hard to find are people who actually live in EVDO areas.

    No doubt that if I travel to Glacier National Park, I won't have EVDO coverage. But if I travel to Glacier National Park, I'll probably leave my phone in Miami.

  19. #19
    MEG
    MEG is offline
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Join Date
    09-23-2004
    Location
    Brookfield, CT
    Posts
    1,140
    And since when is 80K speed comparable to 325K speed? These are the conservative results posted in these forums.
    Mark

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-18-2003
    Posts
    385
    Originally posted by jstpa
    ... But if I travel to Glacier National Park, I'll probably leave my phone in Miami.
    Why?

    Seriously. I'm not trying to be funny or start a flame war but why would you leave your phone somewhere else?

    And that's sort of my point. I travel for business and pleasure, worldwide, and I like to stay in contact -- both professionally and personally -- so having a workable cell phone with me at all time is important to me. As such a GSM/EDGE network like Cingular has its advantages for me. Which is why I wouldn't call it obsolete.

    I realize that there are differences in the analogy I am using but Beta was technically superior to VHS. Would you therefore have called VHS "obsolete"?

    Again, realizing that differences but just because CDMA is technically superior to GSM is no more reason to call GSM "obsolete" than it is to have called VHS "obsolete" because Beta was superior.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts