+ Reply to Thread

Att/cingular Or T Mobile?

Well I'm about to bite the bullet now that it seems the cradles are (almost?) out. I'm planning on an unloced phone so I'm already paying a premium. Does anybody know any reason at all to prefer one of the above to the other? Any info at all would be appreciated considering the investment. Thanks.

I would go with Cingular since they have an EDGE network and T-Mobile does not.

Thanks for the input. But why would I need Edge?

You may not need EDGE but personally, I always want the fastest connection I can get so if I was making the decision, Cingualr's EDGE network would be the deciding factor for me. If all you are going to do is email and text messaging as far as data useage is concerned, T-Mobile's GPRS network will be just fine.

I really don't know what Edge is, except higher speed (????) and since I usually use my Treo as a modem in the summer, high speed is certainly a factor. However I am now (predictably) more and more confused, instead of less. I want an unlocked phone but according to some posters if I get a Cingular (locked) phone at a really good price, they will unlock it, either right away or at 3 months. I don't know how I go about confirming that policy, of course, but I do want to use the phone in Europe in July.

Sorry I do not know what Cingular's policy is on unlocking phones (I have Sprint) but I have heard as well that they will unlock it after 3 months. You should obviously try to get confirmation on that from multiple sources at Cingular before you decide to pull the trigger with them. If data speed is a concern to you and you need GSM, Cingualr's EDGE network is probably your best bet because of its faster speed.