+ Reply to Thread

can a USB cable solve the "wirelss modem" problem?

There's been a lot of talk speculating on whether Verizon will cripple the bluetooth functionality that would let the 650 work as a wireless modem (i.e. put the phone next to a laptop, and have the laptop be on the net).
    There are already a couple of hacks that accomplish this with the 600, using a USB cable and "tethered" mode (and connecting to VZW via 1XRTT or even QNC). I'd be ok continuing to use the USB cable if I had to. Is there any reason to think that this will not continue to work on the 650?

It does work with the 650, but you'll need to use PdaNet to get the wireless modem functionality.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

i do this now with my 7135 on verizon. i don't need anything special - the phone and windows drivers support it all.

why does the 650 need something additional (i must confess, i don't know what pdanet is)?

doody.

PdaNet

The Treo doesn't have the built-in wireless modem support like the 7135.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

PDAnet looks good. Thanks. Has anybody tested it on Verizon QNC/1XRTT yet with a 650? (I know the 650 isn't in GA yet, but there are some betas floating around out there)