+ Reply to Thread

Native pdf reading on Treo?

Hi all. I recently bought the more premium version of Docs-To-Go thinking it supported pdf reading. Well it does, technically, but so does Adobe's free Reader program. However, I am looking for software that allows me to receive an email remotely, not have to Hotsync, and still be able to open the file om the road. Both Docs-to-Go and Adobe Reader form Palm require a translation to be done on the PC, and then the translated pdf ends up on the Treo via hotsyncing. Nice, but not really what I need.

Does such software exist yet? How tough would it be to write a native pdf reader program for the Palm OS platform???

- Steve

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    There are no programs for sale on PalmOS that can read PDF files natively. The only one in existence is Piscel Viewer on certain Sony Clie' devices. Unfortunately, that program is not available for individual sale.
    Michael

Someone extracted Picsel Browser from a Samsung device. Some have had success at running it on a Treo.

http://portal.treobits.com/index.php...single&ide=643
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Interesting .... and quite illegal.
    Michael

I sincerely doubt it's illegal as long as you're not going to sell it.

Doesn't matter if you don't try to sell it. Most likely doing that extraction is against the EULA of the software.
    Michael

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    Doesn't matter if you don't try to sell it. Most likely doing that extraction is against the EULA of the software.
    You are most likely right. Picsel Browser I'm sure was licensed by Samsung, so using it somewhere else would be illegal.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Actually "illegal" seems like too strong a word.

If I have Samsung software, I have, in effect, a contract with Samsung. If I extract one part and use it for another purpose, I am breaking that contract--but, first, Samsung has to prove that I broke the contract and that Samsung was hurt by that breaking of the contract.

The gray area is if someone gives me Samsung software that's already been extracted to put into my Treo. Did I go into a contract just because I have Samsung software in my possession? (although I didn't sign anything with Samsung.)

Whatever happens, this is under tort/contract law--not criminal law. Either way, before it is deemed "illegal," the company has to prove it so.