+ Reply to Thread
    Wil

Syncing Contacts, Outlook Express or Outlook on Win XP?

I'm a brand new Treo 650 user with a question about syncing contacts. On Windows I have long preferred Outlook Express to Outlook, although by virtue of having Office, Outlook is also installed (just, not used at all). I can't get it to reference Outlook Express. May question is may I continue to use Outlook Express or must I upgrade to the full Outlook if I wish to sync my PC's contacts with the Treo 650?

I see how it lets me choose between the Palm Desktop Manager or Outlook, but does NOT give me the option to use Outlook Express versus Outlook when they're both installed. I am so excited to finally have gotten a 650!

Thanks.

Will

P.S. Here's a related question -- On first glance I'm so unimpressed with the contact manager that comes with the Treo. It can't do that much in terms of changing how it's organized. Are there better contact managers out there for the 650? Ditto for the Treo's email client?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Wil; 04-24-2005 at 02:16 AM.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    You can always load Outlook on your computer - which should be able to import your contacts from "express". After setting up your Hotsync to sync with Outlook - to pick up those contacts- Sync- Then you can change to "sync with Palm Desktop (by using the option on the install disc main menu). Then you can sync again- putting all the contacts from the Treo onto your Palm desktop. From then on- use Palm Desktop "contacts" to enter any new contacts.

This is how I got my corporate Outlook contacts into Palm desktop with my private task, memos and calender- which I prefer to keep separate from my corporate synced data.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Wil
    But everytime I put a new contact in Outlook Express I'd like it to automatically sync to the 650.

I prefer Outlook Express over Outlook and so don't want to import everything over. If I did that I'd just use Outlook. But the 650 isn't syncing from Outlook Express. Instead it uses Outlook when they're both there, even though I don't use Outlook Express but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Last edited by Wil; 04-23-2005 at 01:47 PM.

You might try Intellisync, but I don't think that you are going to be able to use "Express" for syncing with the Treo.
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 04-23-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Wil
    Hi,

I tried that.

I downloaded the Yahoo Intellisync and yes, it syncs with Outlook Express's address book. Or it syncs with the Treo's address book. But it won't sync both at the same time. It's strictly one or the other. It's synced to the Yahoo Address book. And no, it won't let the Yahoo Address book sync with both, unfortunately. As far as I could tell, at least.

So are there THREE WAY intellisyncing options, or is it a TWO WAY street? It could look ugly syncing to one and then re-syncing to another, unless intellisync is designed to do it THREE WAY, which it doesn't seem to let me do.

Any other advice?

I would likely give in and use regular outlook or the Palm Desktop from now on (after you get your contacts in). I'm all for simplfying.

There is not really a clean way of using a 3 way. You may end up having duplicates as well, which trust me not a nice way to remove them later. Best option is only use Palm Desktop or MS outlook. Outlook Express will NOT work at all and is not made for synchronizing information.
    Sincerely,

PDA Guru

Wil
    What's Intellisync, not the stripped down free version from Yahoo, but the paid version from www.sync.com ? Does it do 3 way syncing? Anybody using the paid version?

Don't know why someone would think Outlook Express won't sync since it does, and I've done it a few times now with Yahoo's free Intellisync but if three are some issues that make Outlook Express undesirable to sync up with let me know since I would be interested in understanding the problem?

Wil
    And then there's something else called Multisync http://multisync.sourceforge.net/news.php Does it concurrently sync (as its name might imply) between multiple calendars and contacts? Inquiring minds want to know....

Intellisync is a company. They have a paid version. It has a whole bunch of options of what you want to sync. Some people find it useful.

I don't think you want to mess around with multisync(unless you know how to build from source or install rpms. If you don't know what that means, turn arond and walk away).

I would agree with everyone here. Upgrade to Outlook. Outlook Express has a pile of security problems.

Sync it with Yahoo. Disconnet Outlook Express. Don't look back.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Wil
    Yeah I know what rpms are.

Turns out that Yahoo's free Intellisync is completely unsupported. Do a web search and see. Both O and OE require an antivirus as everyone knows and so Symantec makes piles of money.

Anyone tried the paid version of Intellisync, or tried Multisync and if so, would anyone know if either does three way syncing?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Have you looked into using Pocket Mirror ?
    Michael

Wil
    Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the site but could not tell if Pocket Mirror links 3 ways. Also I didn't see if Pocket Mirror could link to Outlook Express like Intellisync (both the for free and the paid versions, I think) can, rather than just Outlook. Anybody know?

mulitsync

Multisync is a *NIX program that does exactly what is sounds like it does: It synchronizes personal information. At the moment, it supports Ximian Evolution (an open source groupware suite sponsored by Novelle), IrMC, Opie/Zaurus, Palm-Sync, text backups, and SyncML (can be used to communicate between multiple copies of multisync or anything else that speaks SyncML).

Multisync uses a very modular archetecture. You can have multisync manage as many "synchronization pairs" as you would like using any of the aforementioned protocols on either side.

Personally, I use multisync to manage my calendar across multiple copies of Evolution on three different computers.

I have been using Intellisync for at least 4 years, first with a Palm Vx, then a Kyocera 7135, and now my 650. It is a very good piece of software. Pocket Mirror is a toy compared to Intellisync. Of course it works only with Outlook, not Express. I like how it can tailor your sync'ing and provides warnings before it deletes anything.

Wil
    Yahoo's Intellisync does indeed sync with Outlook Express contacts and Outlook contacts but it won't sync with both on the same box. Just as it won't sync with either's contacts and with Yahoo's contacts on the same box. In other words, it won't do 3 way syncing, at least as far as I know. This applies not just to contacts but to calendars as well. But I don't know about the full bore Intellisync since I don't have it, but that's how the free version of Yahoo's Intellisync works on my Windows XP box.

Anyway, it's Hotsync and not Yahoo Intellisync that can't sync to Outllook Express when MS Office (with Outlook) is also loaded on Windows XP.

Multisync, being for Unix, won't Sync with either Outlook or Outlook Express on Windows XP, or so I would imagine?

You're correct that Multisync can't directly work with anything on Windows. However, as I mentioned before, Multisync does speak SyncML. Sync4j (http://sync4j.funambol.com/) provides a nice framwork (as well as pre-built modules) for handling SyncML on Windows, in particular, Outlook.