+ Reply to Thread

7135 user questions

My two year contract ends this month. I have been happy with the 7135, but the upgrade to the 650 is strongly pulling me, but I have a couple of questions. I have reviewed and searched prior posts and don't see the answer.

Can you push the down volume to put the phone in vibrate mode?

Does the down volume also silence an incoming call, but allow the next call to be audible?

Are the 650 users finding the battery life to be better than the 7135?

Does the 650 do voice dialing?

Thanks guys!
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

Re: 7135 user questions

Originally posted by Steve B.
    My two year contract ends this month. I have been happy with the 7135, but the upgrade to the 650 is strongly pulling me, but I have a couple of questions. I have reviewed and searched prior posts and don't see the answer.

Can you push the down volume to put the phone in vibrate mode?

no, but there is a switch on the top of the phone to do this immediately. you can also have vibrate and ring at the same time, not just vibe then ring

Does the down volume also silence an incoming call, but allow the next call to be audible?

pushing the power button sends the call straight to voicemail, pressing any button other than send, end and th 5 way button will silence the current call only (there is also an ignore button on the screen)

Are the 650 users finding the battery life to be better than the 7135?

way better

Does the 650 do voice dialing?

only with add on software that comes with the phone, it is $20 to do name dialing, or you can purchase the voice dialing through your provider
    Thanks guys!
    I answered you questions above. I just switched on Saturday from the 7135 and the battery question is the only one I am not confident about.

I miss the "wake up" command of the 7135 and haven't yet tried the Treo voice dialing. Other than that this phone is better in most ways, you can run almost all the pda functions from the phone screen

if you hated graffiti, this is the phone for you

Hey, thanks for the info.

I don't hate graffiti, but I'm not in love with it either. I think this may be the phone for me. Thanks!
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

I don't mind graffiti either, but I've been trying a blackberry for a week and have found the keyboard more appealing than I thought I would. It's pretty nice to not have to pull out the stylus each time you want to jot a quick note or something. I hate that the Blackberry's only way to navigate is the jog wheel. I'm looking forward to getting a 650 on Verizon and dumping the BB.
    Release the Hounds!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    tabutler's answers to your questions are correct. I upgraded from a Verizon 7135 to a Sprint Treo 650. I certainly don't regret it because it's an awesome device. With the proper case, the screen can easily be protected. Here is the case that I use -> http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-22--135.htm
    Michael

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    I upgraded from a Verizon 7135 to a Sprint Treo 650.
    that's what I did too

I went with a holster holder off of treocentral, but the one where the screen faces in. (I liked the holster from the 7135) how can people walk around with the face of their phone exposed? (i have a screen protector, but still)

Originally posted by tabutler
    that's what I did too

I went with a holster holder off of treocentral, but the one where the screen faces in. (I liked the holster from the 7135) how can people walk around with the face of their phone exposed? (i have a screen protector, but still)
    Welcome to the club. I mainly switched to Sprint because their unlimited data plan price is only $15/month. Verizon's price is three times that much, and they're cracking down on users with it coming out of their minutes. I use the data features a lot, so I need an unlimited plan.
    Michael

I mainly switched to Sprint because their unlimited data plan price is only $15/month.
    would you stop writing my posts for me ... lol

I have heard that there are problems with e mail with the 650. I really just use the "@vtext.com" address and message to other verizon users, nothing crazy. Can anyone address this?

Email works fine on the 650, you have nothing to worry about.

Welcome to the club. I mainly switched to Sprint because their unlimited data plan price is only $15/month. Verizon's price is three times that much, and they're cracking down on users with it coming out of their minutes. I use the data features a lot, so I need an unlimited plan.
    How is Sprint's coverage/service/support, including for voice? They did fairly bad in the Consumer Reports and other ratings I've seen.

However, I need a pda phone, rarely would need internet or email and can't see paying $45/mo on top of the voice plan with Verizon. The 7135 looked like the ticket, but it's being orphaned, so I'm having trouble finding an alternative to a treo on Sprint.

Originally posted by bigmikeg
    How is Sprint's coverage/service/support, including for voice? They did fairly bad in the Consumer Reports and other ratings I've seen.

However, I need a pda phone, rarely would need internet or email and can't see paying $45/mo on top of the voice plan with Verizon. The 7135 looked like the ticket, but it's being orphaned, so I'm having trouble finding an alternative to a treo on Sprint.
    I've had no problems with coverage through Sprint in my area. I am paying the extra $5/month for free roaming, but I haven't needed it yet.
    Michael

for the first time in the last 3 years my wife and I can use our cell phones in the house. My wife can now also use her phone at work. this was not possible with VZW.

Your going to need a lot of add on software to get the same phone/pda integration the 7135 has on the Treo 650. The following a re a list of shortcommings not mentioned above that require add on software and only a few programs are free.
    1. highlight and dial or jump to web or sms not availabel on 650. Use Markndial or FieldPlus (freeware but requires you to go to the phone app and select paste).
    2. Alert does not notify every X seconds. You can take a shower call comes in, you miss it, get dressed, go have lunch, finalyy activate your display and see the missed call message two hours later. No paging. Use TreoAlrMngr for this.
    3. You can't schedule your SMS messages. Use "SMS Scheduler" software
    4. Phone counters does not display data used.
    5. You cant jump to last application you were in by pressing the phone button again. Use switch5 (Freeware)
    6. No MP3 Ringtones and Ringtone assignment is by number not contact or category. You have to setup favorites and you can only use Midi. for added functionality you require either Ringo or mring or lightwave. all rediculous because they only play Mp3's using another program like ptunes. so you have to buy two pieces of software.
    7. You can't jump directly to the contact you are talking to from the phone app. you actually need to go to the contacts application and look up the name. Problem if you have a lot of names. Callfilter by velocityware would be the solution but it does not work with the treo 650. If you can live without that or don't mind spending an extra $75 then you can't beat the processor speed or the display. After looking at the treo display it hurt to look at my 7135's 160x160 pixelated screen. Oh almost forgot definitely get screen protectors and a buetooth headset. This is not clamshell design so you can get damaged easily. The headset makes its candy bar design a non issue and on some released versions sound quality on the phone is poor or to low which can be remedied by the headsets volumne control. Not sure if Verizon has this problem. - cheers

not all of these are correct and some are not functions i ever used anyway.

There are many things that the 650 does better that are not addressed above.

I've downloaded Switch5 as mentioned above, but can't figure out how it works. Can someone please explain it to me. Thanks,