+ Reply to Thread

Cingular: Connecting to Internet via laptop Bluetooth

How would I go about using the Treo 650's bluetooth to connect to the internet with a laptop?

Thanks in Advance.

it depends on your phone and provider. most of the providers have disabled the DUN (Dial Up Networking) bluetooth protocol. there are instructions on the net to hack your phone so DUN works, but at your own risk and perhaps voiding some warranty.

my understanding is cingular has disabled DUN.

yes, it's silly that these guys do this. they're in theory protecting their pccard businesses. what they're really doing is annoying their customers

if you bought an unlocked 650 directly from Palm, apparently DUN is not stupidly disabled.

doody.
    Last edited by Doody; 05-14-2005 at 06:14 PM.

The Treo is from Palm but setup on cingular. How would I tell if bluetooth DUN is disabled?

Thanks in Advance.

click on the bluetooth icon, turn on bluetooth if it isn't on already, and then, if DUN hasn't been diabled, you will see the option for DUN on the screen. Basically, if your phone has any sort of Cingular branding on it like the Cingualr logo somewhere on the phone or a Cingular screen pops up when you turn on the phone, then DUN is disabled.

fyi - if DUN is disabled on your phone and you don't want to do the hack, you can in theory still do DUN via a USB cable solution. perhaps someone here who is actually doing that can chime in to tell us it actually works - i've only "heard told" of it, so i'm not 100% certain.

i use my 7135 via a usb cable to do DUN. i wouldn't want to lose this functionality in a T650 upgrade situation. i can deal with it being cabled only of i have to (though it pisses me off).

doody.

PS: you can also check out the PDANet solution http://www.junefabrics.com/ to accomplish likewise, albeit for a few dollars.
    Last edited by Doody; 05-15-2005 at 07:04 AM.

That is exactly what we are looking for. If someone knows the sequence for connecting to net via a USB cable, please post. In fact, we will offer a Sync/Charging/Modem cable plus our Slimline AC/DC adapter to someone who will post the instructions for doing so - either for Cingular or Verizon.

I believe PDAnet would allow also connect through a tethered situation but I would think the configuration for a wired setup should not be that difficult!
    Powerflex chargers and Portaflex Sync/Charge cables
    www.macmedia.com

I have yet to come across a solution that uses a cable without PDANet. The only two methods I am aware of are PDANet and BT DUN.

Any one find a non PDAnet solution?

TIA.