+ Reply to Thread

VZW 1X access using minutes

Have any of the new VZW 650 users successfully managed to get their plans set up with National Access where 1X connections use minutes only? I currently have this with a Kyocera 7135 and would love to keep it as I move to either the 650 or the i730. Thanks.

This is my #1 question before I make the switch. I have MOU on my 7135, and don't want to lose it, I won't pay the $40 a month or whatever, I'll switch to Sprint first... Any ideas?

I just ordered mine and got the hard sell to get a data plan. I don't use enough data to justify any of the options they offer. I was told flatly that I could not continue to use MOU. So, as of right now I will be charged per KB. It's a bummer, but my 7135 just died this weekend so I don't have much choice. I may end up activating a QNC connection if the per KB thing ends up costing too much.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I know this is a Verizon focused thread, but I got a Treo 650 with Sprint service - unlimited data plan is $15/month. Verizon's unlimited data plan, at $45/month, is ludicrous! I have a Kyocera 7135 on Verizon, and it's plan is expiring next month.

rlwhitt is right. Verizon will try to force you to get one of their overly expensive data plans. You pretty much don't have a choice. You'll end up with one of them, or paying per KB.
    Michael

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    So, as of right now I will be charged per KB. It's a bummer, but my 7135 just died this weekend so I don't have much choice. I may end up activating a QNC connection if the per KB thing ends up costing too much.
    What is the charge per KB if you don't have a plan?
    If you use the (slower) QNC method, they don't charge you for data?

Amusing typo on:
    http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...much_data.html

"Adding a Verizon Wireless data feature to your mobile service plan lets you wirelessly access email and the web with faster, persistent connections. In order to keep excess charges to a minimum, it is important to choose the right plan for your data usage patterns. We suggest the following guidelines to determine how much data you might need.* You can always call Cingular Wireless to change plans if you find that you need more or less data."

Slave to all that beeps Halitosis's Avatar
    That is funny...

I had to read it a couple times before I found it.

Halitosis

.015 per KB or $15/MB (ouch!)
    I'm no Treo expert, but my understanding is that enabling QNC has to deduct from minutes, because it's not using the 1X services. At least the 7135 was that way. No more than I use data, the slower speed might be fine. I'll just have to try it and see.

Originally posted by LongTimeLurker
    What is the charge per KB if you don't have a plan?
    If you use the (slower) QNC method, they don't charge you for data?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    .015 per KB or $15/MB (ouch!)
    I'm no Treo expert, but my understanding is that enabling QNC has to deduct from minutes, because it's not using the 1X services. At least the 7135 was that way. No more than I use data, the slower speed might be fine. I'll just have to try it and see.
    I'd love to find that stated 'officially'. I'd put up with the slower speed for unlimited data out of normal minutes.

Interesting:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=635899

"Effective May 23, Verizon Wireless will introduce new BlackBerry & PDA/Smartphone data service plans for customers with handheld devices. Customers purchasing any Verizon Wireless Blackberry or PDA/Smartphone have the option of data plans that include 10 MB for $29.99 or unlimited data service for $49.99."

10mb is better than 5mb, at least.

This may be a dumb question but...

I am a very light Data user. I check my email every once in a while, and I browse the web a couple times a month. Mostly when it is fantasy football season, I check my stats. And an occasional look up of something, so here is my dumb question:

How do I equate how much data usage i may use. I currently use my Kyocera 7135 with MOU, so when I do use my email/web etc, I just use my minutes. I am rarely on for all that long.

Is it really worth paying $25/month or $45/month for a data plan when I often go months without using it.

How do translate .15/kb or $15/MB to actual usage. How much usage will I get for 1 MB. I don't really have a way to quantify how much usage.

If you just log on to check stats, or a quick look up of something, or just some occasional email- how much usage do you think that is?

gperr

Folks, this thread is following the same route as the 34,432,634.6 threads about MOU, all of which are just a bunch of everyone saying just about everything. Then again, welcome to online threads, where anyone can say just about anything, true, false, made up, accurate, hee hee hee. So I get the throw my recent experience into the fray.
    I got switched to some $24.99 data plan when I upgraded my pda, and so I called them, and told the rep I spoke with that under *NO* terms whatsever did I EVER authorize or was told about switching or being switched to ANY plan where I paid any additional fee for data downloads, and I expected to be switched back. I made sure I was as polite to her as possible, and yet was not going to budge till I got what I wanted, and she was more than happpy to switch me back to the MOU plan, and also apologized. I was told before, a number of times, that 1) they are trying to discontinue this and 2) if you abuse it, you will be flagged and lose it, and 3) It depends on what rep you talk to. I guess this is the case, since I never abused the system, even on nights and weekends.
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-16-2005 at 10:47 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....