+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Jae

VZW Treo 650 First Impressions?

All you lucky people who were able to get the Treo650 on VZW.... What is it like? What are the likes and dislikes?

How was the transition from VZW T600 to T650? Any apps that didn't work, or found a fix to make it work?

I'm waiting for the consumer release.....anyone with biz account be willing to get me one?

Let me know guys/gals......
    J

You don't need a biz account. Just go to a store and they will order it for you through direct fullfilment.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    You don't need a biz account. Just go to a store and they will order it for you through direct fullfilment.
    mg
    seems to depend on the store. i went to a store and they told me they couldn't help me - i had to call in to the central sales group.

doody.

Try the VZW store in the Montclair Plaza.

MrGadget

Re: VZW Treo 650 First Impressions?

Originally posted by Jae
    All you lucky people who were able to get the Treo650 on VZW.... What is it like? What are the likes and dislikes?

How was the transition from VZW T600 to T650? Any apps that didn't work, or found a fix to make it work?

I'm waiting for the consumer release.....anyone with biz account be willing to get me one?

Let me know guys/gals......
    The best thing I like about my new TREO 650 is that it comes with VersMail, which means that I can get my email directly from my ISP and not with Wireless Sync...

Also the screen is totally awsome, it's faster, surfing the web is also faster.

Great Phone....
    Ernest Aguilar

Originally posted by Doody
    seems to depend on the store. i went to a store and they told me they couldn't help me - i had to call in to the central sales group.

doody.
    Was it a VZW owned store or a reseller. All you should have to do is tell a VZW CSR you want to order the phone through direct fullfilment and they'll do it for you. For that matter you can all VZW and do it as well.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Slave to all that beeps Halitosis's Avatar

1st Impressions

For once, I get to give back a smidge to the board from which I have taken so much information.

I have been a long-time user of the 7135... and it has been a trusty partner for well over 2 years... I figured it would take a lot to get me to give up my clamshell design....

So... my 650 arrived today via a surly Fex Ex delivery guy.... here are my first impressions.

1) The cardboard box it's packaged in is pretty small. For the price I paid, I wanted at least a little more fanfair. (Hey, I am trying to give you all sides).

1.5) Size. I thought that this thing was going to be HUGE... but it's really not. Very nice size... very nice weight. Seems very balanced. I can comfortably dial numbers with one hand (unlike the "top heavy" 7135) without it feeling like it's going to constantly slip out...

2) The synch cable is MUCH BETTER THAN THE 7135.... no more of that HUGE CRADLE that you have to lug around when you travel (I know, you can get a better one... but still, it's more $). The cable is only USB, but it's very compact... big plus.

3) Upgrading apps from your old Kyocera? Forget it. I ran the Palm Desktop install program... it found my Kyocera profile and proceeded to toss out many of the programs I had come to count on on my 7135.... placing them in a "not compatible" folder somewhere. The ones that were left wound up crashing my 650 anyway.... it put it into an endless loop of restarting itself during the power-on cycle.... so I pruned everything down to just my contact list, and did my first HARD RESET of the unit in the first 30 minutes of owning it. (I blame software, not hardware).

4) OLD HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK. I thought I was going to miss my graffiti.. and I did.. for the first hour or so. Every time I grabbed my phone I would instinctivly remove the stylus in anticipation of having to tap... SOMETHING (you know how that 7135 works...).... not here. The 5-way Nav button is a breeze... and with the way the Palm OS handles the focus, the stylus seems really unneccessary 90% of the time.

5) MY EYES ARE STILL YOUNG... I am 31 years old... my father tells me that I have about 4 years left before I need reading glasses. The keyboard is a little tight... but more then adaquete. It takes about 60 minutes of getting used to... then suddenly it all seems to fall into place.

6) Speaker phone. NICE AND LOUD!

7) VersaMail. I thought I would never be able to give my heart away after SnapperMail... but so far VersaMail seems to fit the bill. (Again.. this is my first night with it... so my opinion may change). I was able to configure my mail settings and send an e-mail with attachments (a camera-phone shot of my son stuffing his face with french fries). Interestsing to note that the mail services that MOST people would be using are not on the default e-mail services list... (like Hotmail and Gmail). I will have to look up these settings manually to use these accounts on the phone.

Screen- Stunning. There is nothing else to say here.

9) "Quick Bar Button Slots" (or whatever they call it)... THANK GOD! FINALLY! No more trying to fit the 10 most most commonly used apps into a triple-duty button manager. It's slick... it's easy.. and it works well.

9) SMS Messaging-- what a much better interface. I am no teeny-bopper... but having your messages threaded into conversations and COLOR CODED is VERY NICE. I was carrying on two different converstations (ironically, one with my mother and another with my father.... each from their own phone, and each on their own separate business trip) for 30 minutes.... very easy to follow.

10) DATA. Like many others, I also just used the "minutes used" function on my 7135 and chose to browse and get e-mail at a blazing 14.4k. No different here. I have never had a data plan. I never told anyone at VZW I was changing, and no one ever asked. It seems by default, this phone is set up to do just that. Although my browsing was a bit faster (probably a credit to teh faster processor), it certainly was not on the 1x network.... and sending and receiving sMS pages did not require a connection to the internet (something that many Verizon reps seem to think). So far, so good.... happy with the way that turned out.

Are those enough first impressions? Where do you draw the line between first impression and "experience"?

All in all? It's worth it. Even when I first bought the 7135, I was saying 'if ONLY it would do XYZ...' or 'if ONLY they would combine screen X with screen Y'...

... so far.. it seems that they have.

... my only real complaint so far is that the size of that damned cardboard box.

Halitosis

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Re: 1st Impressions

Originally posted by Halitosis
    7) VersaMail. I thought I would never be able to give my heart away after SnapperMail... but so far VersaMail seems to fit the bill. (Again.. this is my first night with it... so my opinion may change). I was able to configure my mail settings and send an e-mail with attachments (a camera-phone shot of my son stuffing his face with french fries). Interestsing to note that the mail services that MOST people would be using are not on the default e-mail services list... (like Hotmail and Gmail). I will have to look up these settings manually to use these accounts on the phone.
    Why didn't you transfer your SnapperMail license from the 7135 to the 650? You can do that. Contact "support@snappermail.com" with your registered Email address, the old HotSync ID from your 7135, and the new HotSync ID on the 650.
    Michael

How did you access the 14.4 network?
    #777?
    I can't get it to work on mine.
    I too was amazed how small the phone and the box were but great things can come in small packages. ; )

Re: Re: 1st Impressions

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    Why didn't you transfer your SnapperMail license from the 7135 to the 650? You can do that. Contact "support@snappermail.com" with your registered Email address, the old HotSync ID from your 7135, and the new HotSync ID on the 650.
    Learn something everyday. Thanks for the tip. With the way typical software sales/licensing works, I was under the impression that I was going to have purchase another copy....

... not too big of a deal.... but my main point was that VersaMail seems to be a few notches above that "Qualcomm" crap program that my Kyocera came with.

Halitosis

Originally posted by patchs
    How did you access the 14.4 network?
    #777?
    I can't get it to work on mine.
    I too was amazed how small the phone and the box were but great things can come in small packages. ; )
    I actually didn't do anything.... it worked immediately.

I don't have any PROOF yet that I am not racking of tons of $ on my bill b/c I have no data plan....

... all I know is that my gut tells me that it's just a smidge (larger than a hair, smaller than a notch) faster on the browse than my 7135... but it certainly can't be browsing at the 100+KB rates that everyone else talks about on the 1x network.

I also have not found any place (yet) to set up the QNC connection...

Halitosis

Jae
    Halitosis,

Check your data usage. I have the unlimited $45 plan and I use about 75 Megs a month, just pulling email. Just casual browsing and email could be a lot of money....
    J

Jae
    Does anyone know if you can re-use PDANet for Treo 600 for T650?
    J

Originally posted by Jae
    Halitosis,

Check your data usage. I have the unlimited $45 plan and I use about 75 Megs a month, just pulling email. Just casual browsing and email could be a lot of money....

Ok... just got off the phone with Verizon Wireless Rep.... Data Services tech support.

Here is the kicker: On the Kyocera, you had the option to always FORCE a data connection to use QNC. Apparantly, on the Treo 650, you don't. It always defaults to 1x when available, otherwise it will use QNC.

If you have NO DATA PLAN (that's me)... then 1x connections are billed at a rate of .015 per minute. Or, you can get a 5MB data plan for $24.99... or an unlimited for $45.00 a month....

Do the math: 24.99 / .015 gives you 1666 minutes a month of 1x data usage...... which is probably a hell of a lot more than 5MB worth of data. An "unlimited" data plan gives you the equivalent of 3000 minutes of browsing time. (That's a LOT of browsing).

(On the downside, this doesn't distinguish between Peak time vs. non-peak time usage... so it's .015 per minute even at 2:00am on Sunday).

For me... it's OK... since I browse the internet and grab email maybe 10 times a month when I am on a business trip.

But: does anyone know a way to FORCE the 650 (hack or otherwise) to use the QNC at all times? That would take care of both problems.

Halitosis

Jae
    I thought they charge per KB? I think for the $29.99 plan you get 5MB and anything after that is charged at $.008/KB.

With no data plan, I think you are going to be charged:

PDA/Smartphone Pay Per KB
    $0.015/KB or approx. $15/MB. Wireless Sync not included. Voice and other data services will be billed per your digital calling plan.

According to the VZW website. You had better double check.
    J

Originally posted by Jae
    I thought they charge per KB? I think for the $29.99 plan you get 5MB and anything after that is charged at $.008/KB.

With no data plan, I think you are going to be charged:

PDA/Smartphone Pay Per KB
    $0.015/KB or approx. $15/MB. Wireless Sync not included. Voice and other data services will be billed per your digital calling plan.

According to the VZW website. You had better double check.

The guy I talked to did the math with me over the phone.... he said .015 per minute. (Another case of Verizon inconsistency).

I'll call again and double-check.

Halitosis

Ok... now I am more confused than ever.

I got off the phone with another Verizon rep... and then was transferred to ANOTHER Verizon rep that told me the same story:

The Treo 650 will automatically connect to the internet and "synch" data with Verizon's servers. It does this in the background, without my knowledge, and I have no control over it. Each time it connects, it will accumulate time on the data side, potentially making my bill huge.

I can't believe this story. I cannot believe that Verizon would just sell a product that steals money from us without our knowledge. That's just theft.

Can anyone else shed any light on this? True or false? And if true, can anyone else tell me how to turn off this "auto-synch" feature (if I can even call it that) so that I connect to the internet when <B>I</B> want to? This seems insane!

Halitosis

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: 1st Impressions

Originally posted by Halitosis
    Learn something everyday. Thanks for the tip. With the way typical software sales/licensing works, I was under the impression that I was going to have purchase another copy....

... not too big of a deal.... but my main point was that VersaMail seems to be a few notches above that "Qualcomm" crap program that my Kyocera came with.

Halitosis
    You're welcome. I think SnapperMail is a few notches above VersaMail. But then again, I'm biased because I work part-time on the official SnapperMail support team!

Regarding your Verizon syncing question and the possibility of it "stealing" data time/money from you, I don't think that's right. The software you're running controls the connection to their network. It will only be connected when you want, or if you forget to disconnect it manually if the software you're using doesn't do it for you.
    Michael

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Impressions

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    You're welcome. I think SnapperMail is a few notches above VersaMail. But then again, I'm biased because I work part-time on the official SnapperMail support team!

Regarding your Verizon syncing question and the possibility of it "stealing" data time/money from you, I don't think that's right. The software you're running controls the connection to their network. It will only be connected when you want, or if you forget to disconnect it manually if the software you're using doesn't do it for you.

That's what I thought too... but both reps swore that "this is what the phone was designed for, and there is no way to prevent it connecting to the internet on it's own".

I guess at this point, I'll wait for my first bill to see what happens. I have paid CLOSE attention to my "connection" light to see what it's doing, and I haven't noticed any activity.

I have also gone into my wireless synch, and told it to "ask me everytime" which type of connection to use.... in the hopes that it would send up a flare when it tried to connect.... (assuming I am even looking in the right place).

Again... if anyone has any info on how to force QNC... I am all ears.

Halitosis

e-mail on 650

Does the e-mail work any differently than the 7135? Do you still need to manually connect to the server each time your wanting to check e-mail, wait for the connection to be established, and then download the messages? Or is it more along the lines of a blackberry where you get your e-mail when your server gets it?

Thanks!
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.