+ Reply to Thread

Problem Using Dial-up instead of QNC - HELP!!

Help. I've been using a T-600 for three weeks, before that a 7135 for 3 years. I used a Dial-up instead of QNC and "national access" for as long as I can remember.

On the T-600 I set up the Network Preferences as:

Virtual Modem
    My ISP Dial-up username
    My ISP Passcode
    My ISP Dial-up number

Worked everytime for 3 years on both phones.

Got my T-650 today.

Won't work.

I get a log error saying:

"PPP timeout Could not open the network library, Perhaps this device does not support network communications."

I've still got my T-600 sitting here - is there a file I might bring over to "open network library".

Anyone else found a solution. I don't want to pay $15.00 a month to read my email.

Apologies, as I guess I am confused here. Dialup refers to a land line, and the Kyo only supports 2 forms of data connect to my knowledge (or do you mean keeping the treo tehtered to a Computer?)

QuickConnect (QnC) has speeds of +/- 14.4
    and 1XRTT (NationalAccess) offers speeds +/- 56K (burst higher).
    I do know there is no way to FORCE the 650 to go to QnC, and so if you didn't have 1X before, maybe that is the issue? Lots of people report having 1X even though they didn't have a dedicated Data Plan (this is called MOU, and is discussed all over the place here), and no PDA plan either (a special plan for wireless sync and so on). IF you have wireless sync running, it (from what I can gather), will pretty much disable your MOU, andforce you to either cancel it or add a dedicated data plan. The reason is that it makes the treo pretty much stay in "active sync" mode and look for messages and email all day long. The Kyo checked like any other cell phone, which was whenever you went to a new tower, or made a call, or every few minutes, etc. I also found it neat that 1X used LESS battery power than QnC did, because when the thing wasn't RXing packets, its modem would go into idle mode . If there isn't one already, there should be a software hack to override this, as oto many people report the issues you are having.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

I started this same subject thread a couple days ago after I received my 650 and couldn't dial into my ISP like I did on the 600. Hopefully you can figure something out. In the mean time I signed up for data and it's much faster than the dialup was. I think the ISP connection may be a time out issue. Mine starts to log in and then the call ends. Not sure if it is not receiving a response quickly enough from the ISP.

You likely have the same problem I have. Next time you try and call your ISP, check the LOG file. I would bet it says the same thing I posted above regarding the network library.

"This sounds like a job for SHADOWMITE" (with apologies to Superman)

I posted this problem on Shadowmite's site, and he has responded that he is going to give this a try.

See his complete answer below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Shadowmite

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:01 am

Site Admin

There is no reason the treo shouldnt be able to do what you want, although it might take some configuation to get it working. The big thing is both Verizon and Sprint can see a call going out as data (because it connect threw the switch differently) and as such they charge a per minute data fee.

For what you want to do I SERIOUSLY recommend switching to Sprint PCS and getting the unlimited data for $15 a month (free with plans $100+). If you don't, you shouldn't be messing with data. Verizon just is not a realistically priced data company.

That said, I'll do my best to provide any support I can for verizon users. But my phone is Sprint and most of my experience is limited to Sprint.

Originally posted by jcarlosfox
    [. . .]
    The big thing is both Verizon and Sprint can see a call going out as data (because it connect threw the switch differently) and as such they charge a per minute data fee.

For what you want to do I SERIOUSLY recommend switching to Sprint PCS and getting the unlimited data for $15 a month (free with plans $100+). If you don't, you shouldn't be messing with data. Verizon just is not a realistically priced data company.

That said, I'll do my best to provide any support I can for verizon users. But my phone is Sprint and most of my experience is limited to Sprint.

---Shadowmite
    I must respectfully point out to Shadowmite that this is about the Treo, and not about whose data plan is better than who's. We are all in the same boat here I hope. Plans are about more than just data, like coverage, basic fees, perks, "most of the people I call," and of course, who's paying the bill. It all comes down to the sum of all the parts. Then again, it's possible to get a VZW plan where you currently pay $0.00 for data (though its days are seriously limited). Plus, it's not unlimited unless one was surfing at night or on weekends, I would nonetheless consider it a *Very* realistic price *smiles*. You did have a disclaimer saying his experience was limited to Sprint, so no harm done . I was not sure how to reach Shadowmite's site, so maybe you would be so kind as to send it there to update his information?
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-25-2005 at 01:30 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

OK, since no one is actively working on this fix, I decided to look into the files related to networking on BOTH the Treo 600, and the Treo 650. The Treo 600 allows pure dial-up connections to any ISP, while the Treo 650 does not. Here is what I have found:

Treo 600 Network Related Files:

cmd-nettrace.prc (4 kb)
    Net Prefs.prc (4 kb)
    NetPatchLibrary.prc (11 kb)
    Network.prc (68 kb)
    Network_enUS.prc (17kb)
    Network_es.prc (17 kb) (Not on the Treo 650 - but appears to be SPANISH)
    NetworkDB.pdg (3 kb)
    NetLibrary.prc (91 kb) (NOTE: This file is NOT on the Treo 650)

Treo 650 Network Related Files:

cmd-nettrace.prc (4 kb)
    Net Prefs.prc (4 kb)
    NetPatchLibrary.prc (11 kb)
    Network.prc (69 kb)
    Network_enUS.prc (18kb)
    NetworkDB.pdg (3 kb)

So, the MAJOR differences are the MISSING NetLibrary.prc and the two slightly larger files named network.prc and Network_enUS.prc.

So, I copied the NetworkDB.pdb from my Treo 600 to my 650. There were no changes in behavior evident.

Next I TRIED to copy the missing NetLibrary.prc from the Treo 600 to the Treo 650 using an SD card and the Filez program. Filez REFUSES to copy the file. The error message is" "There was an error during copy, stopping." Using the Palm copy function, the file does not appear in the file list.

So, this brings up some questions:

1) Is there a "hidden" NetLibrary.prc file in the Treo 650 that is preventing the copy function?

2) Is there another method to copy the file to the Treo 650? (Don't say email, that is the reason I am going through this exercise.)

3) The error message I originally got on the Treo - that has since stopped coming back - is that the Treo could not open the Library file (see above posts).

4) The error I am getting now is PPP timeout.

Anyway, maybe I'm on the wrong track. Does anyone have any advise?

Apologies, jcarlosfox. In another thread you said you were using QnC and told the sales person so, so I honestly thought you had it working. Did you set up a new EN or QnC connection, or are you still trying to connect to QnC via the built in National Access entry that's hard coded (this won't work since they are not the same? Note that when you first turned on the phone the existing EN and QnC entries vanished mysteriously (on purpose). There is a way around this, and SHOULD be related to this entry HERE Note that your old entries if you have a PDA are important, the script on mine had different settings than those listed (as I add later). Hope this helps!

Both jcarlosfox and myself are trying to setup a QNC connection that will dial into our ISP at 14.4. We both had this working fine on the 600 but are unsuccessful on the 650 because it seems to timeout. I finally anted up for the 10Mb plan of National Access, but since I can reach this total a bit too quickly, I would like the QNC as an option for checking Yahoo e-mail which is plenty quick at 14.4.

It appears the link provided by Copasetic related to the old Express Network.

Originally posted by slorandy
    Both jcarlosfox and myself are trying to setup a QNC connection that will dial into our ISP at 14.4. We both had this working fine on the 600 but are unsuccessful on the 650 because it seems to timeout. I finally anted up for the 10Mb plan of National Access, but since I can reach this total a bit too quickly, I would like the QNC as an option for checking Yahoo e-mail which is plenty quick at 14.4.
    Actually, if you change the username to qnc, password to vzw, and the script as follows you will be fine.

Send: at$qcmd=2
    Send CR:
    Send: at$qcqnc=1
    Send CR:
    End:
    Make an entry for each, both 1XRTT and the Qnc. It seems to be working fine without National Access enabled.

Word to the wise: People who have bugged VZW about this have been removed from MOU. If you make a lot of noise about it they will respond in kind. Please use some common sense y'all.
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-26-2005 at 04:43 PM.

No luck here.

I saw on another thread that if you have a National Access plan, 1XRTT (Express Network) and QNC (Quick to Net) won't work, maybe that's what's going on? It would appear that EN and NA use the same basic circuitry, but they are NOT the same. :\

**Added: This is bunk, EN and NA are exactly the same. I have been on the phone with TS for 45 mins, lol
    Last edited by Copasetic; 05-26-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks for the script, but it won't work for me. Same error messages as before. I used qnc as the password, and then vzn as you suggested - nothing works.

I think they've locked the Treo 650 out pretty well. I'm still working on trying to get the Treo 600 network files installed on the 650 - so far, no luck, the Treo refuses to allow the files to be copied or uploaded.

Copasetic is there a typo in your QNC script?

You indicate that the QNC script should be:

"Actually, if you change the username to qnc, password to vzw, and the script as follows you will be fine.

Send: at$qcmd=2
    Send CR:
    Send: at$qcqnc=1
    Send CR:
    End:
    Make an entry for each, both 1XRTT and the Qnc. It seems to be working fine without National Access enabled."

Is there a typo??? The first line of the script- should it be:

Send: at$qcmdr=2

Was the dropping of the "r" in the script purposeful. When I look at the script for 1XRTT that you posted, it had the "r".

Maybe this is nothing, but is this the answer???

gperr

With the "R" or without the "R", I still get:

"Error 3000: Data Service is unavailable in this area. Please try again later. (0x713E)"

Now, there is PLENTY of data in this area, I used the 7135 from home for YEARS and got data, and the phone screen says "1x" - so, it's out there.

I'm thinking I'm going to end up payinf for this - it grinds me to pay for what should be free.

I tried this as well, both ways (with and without the R) and I'm getting

Error:

PPP Timeout
    (0x1231)

There must be a way. Especially for us users that are getting a "1x" on the their phone page. Anyone know how, plz post.

This post has provided much needed information on this topic:

T650 QNC and 1X Network connections 101