+ Reply to Thread
    Slave to all that beeps Halitosis's Avatar

Treo 650 Extended Battery

I just ordered the extended-mondo-wondo battery from Treotiger
    for my new VZW Treo 650.

They claim a monster 7 hours of talk time and 3 weeks of stand-by. (I seriously doubt it's that much... nothing can beat the legendary Kyocera 6035....).

In any case... it's on order. $129.99 + $12.99 shipping.

I am so far not dissatisfied with my Treo battery life, but I do still have to stick it in my charger every night. With my day/night/day/night life and business cycle, any battery that can get me a couple of days before I have to be leashed to a charging cord is worth it.

I'll be posting my findings here when the battery arrives...

Halitosis

Hmm, well with the phone turned *off* even my 7135 got almost 2 weeks, haha. Not realistic I know, but still *technically* possible, so it's publishable. Was this a generic or a Palm branded battery? I have seen discrepacies with GSM versus CDMA versions of the 650 as well, so I am curious which was tested (I have spoken with disgruntled GSM users who keep saying the CDME version is better, though it makes no sense to me). I am still anxious to see your thoughts when it arrives . If that standby time was with the thing actually *on* I am going shopping...
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

In Da Hizzle Fo Shizzle
    Here's another extended battery:
    http://pythontech.com/product_info.php/products_id/6806

Compatible with: Treo 650 Smartphone only

Voltage: 3.6V
    Battery Rate: 1800mAh
    Can be recharged while in phone or in the battery drawer of Cradle Kit.
    Provides up to 8-10 hours of talk time and up to 2 weeks of standby time (depending on smartphone configuration)
    Built-in overcharging protection

I plan to get an extended battery but I plan to wait and see what experience ppl have with them.

I have a quick question.

How does the Treo 600 battery life compare to the Treo 650 battery life?
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 -> Palm IIIxe - Treo 650 - Tungsten T3

In Da Hizzle Fo Shizzle
    Dunno about the T600. I'm currently trying to condition the battery for the T650. In a little over 24 hours it shows 82% battery remaining. I've made only a few calls though...

1800 mAh

Just FYI, but 1800 mAh isn't extended. That is the standard size of a TREO 650 battery. So the Python one is bogus.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    Please be careful of "extended life" battery claims. You might want to pick up a regular PalmOne battery at a $10 discount off the PalmOne site, from Mobile Planet. That fits in the OEM cradle and is always ready - but rarely needed...

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....1&dept_id=3702
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Slave to all that beeps Halitosis's Avatar
    Very skeptical.... but if the battery from Treotiger comes anywhere near, it's worth it for me. I am not necessarily a "power" Treo user, but an extended battery might mean that I can avoid taking my charging cable with me when I travel every other day.

That would mean I could just charge every 2 or 3 days and be good... one less thing to pack and/or lose while I am away.

In any case, I have been thinking about how to conduct a fair test.

I have really enjoyed watching movies on my Treo with TCPMP

I think what I will do is stick the thing on a continuous loop play with some movie in there...

...run that for both batteries and see how long each battery lasts (OEM Treo vs. the extended battery).

The battery hasn't arrived yet... I'll keep you posted.

Halitosis

I also have to wonder about the size of the thing. The only extended battery I ever saw for the 7135 required you to use a different back cover, as it was 2mm too thick for the OEM one. Alas, such a cover doesn't exist, but with the battery in there it was bsically flush with no cover. Ugly, and didn't really add much time either... The Treo isn't much different in thickness, but the way it's made makes it SEEM a lot more chunky. A fatbatt would only add to that.

Regardless, I am grateful for your willingness to "take a plunge", H

/me gives H a bag of free mints
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Originally posted by blues
    I have a quick question.

How does the Treo 600 battery life compare to the Treo 650 battery life?
    This was my biggest question prior to getting a 650. Everyone seemed to say the 650 had better life, and others said GSM would be even better as it is more efficient than CDMA via Sprint. My experience: They are as identical as identical could be. I am apparently a heavy user, but with equal usage and using Chatteremail for my push IMAP email, I get no more than 14 hours on a charge, consistently, regularly, which is exactly what I got with my 600 on Sprint, perhaps even a tad bit less! I decided on the 650 partly for the spare battery, so from the point of view it was a good choice. Actually I found the 600 to be far more stable and useful (I admit the screen on the 650 is much much better and the camera is similarly superior, but neither of those features was very important to me), but the battery life was a problem.

Originally posted by That70sGAdawg
    ... You might want to pick up a regular PalmOne battery ... That fits in the OEM cradle and is always ready - but rarely needed...

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....1&dept_id=3702
    Not so with me. It is pretty much an essential element to my 650 setup. Twelve hours and it is flashing at me to charge it. Fourteen hours and it's close to dead. Without the extra battery the phone would be far far worse than the 600 was...and frankly now that I have the 650 I really miss the 600. I just hope I don't have to stick with this 650 for really long as, at least from my point of view, it sucks! But it's got a nice screen and camera....

Be sure that you brightness is not turned up all the way. "KB lights" will save battery life too, by turning off the keyboard backlight unless being used. And last, but not least, turn off "receive all beams" in your preferences. If you are doing all that, then you may need to carry a spare battery, get a car charger, or extra charger where you spend most of your time....

Yes, I am doing all that (though I am not toally happy with Brightcam which I use for light management). I still get about 14 hours a day, which I'm anticipating today, having gone 9 plus hours so far and having 34% remaining. I keep a battery in my case (the Nutshell with the expandable pocket for exactly that purpose). I'm mostly unhappy, however, with TMobile's data connections which tend to be so unreliable that a large part of certain days becomes a total loss. TMO might have been a mistake, though I'm not sure Cingular is any better, especially since I've heard they share data networks.

With some of the update files around the web, you may be able to "unlock" your T-Mobile unit and use it with a Cingular SIM card.- If it doesn't cost too much to switch.

If you look back at battery capacity for High rez Palm and especially Pocket PC units over the last few years - You gotta admit that the Treo 650's battery life is awesome for a high rez. unit WITH a always on Phone!

My phone is already unlocked. I chose TMO after using both Cingular and TMO with another SIM card before buying the TMO one. There was no difference in battery life between TMO and Cingular that I could see. The limitation on battery life, it seems to me, is what you do with the phone, not with whom you subscribe, and whether you have GSM or CDMA. Although I had thought GSM was more efficient, it doesn't appear to be true, at least in my case. Perhaps if you use it a lot, the difference between the two becomes marginal.

In any event, 15 hours is just about the max for me, which is not really awesome in my opinion. Perhaps fuel cells will some day solve this problem.